Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Obsidian Farming for Profit  (Read 8728 times)

alphawolf29

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Obsidian Farming for Profit
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2010, 10:17:09 am »

Really great idea, this fixes Ore problems for MEGAPROJECTS too, As currently mega projects will often run out of a certain ore and have to import it (which is very undwarvenly.) Now if they have magma and water, they can produce whatever they need (albeit much more difficultly then mining)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2010, 11:13:11 am »

Hm testing it now, and the obsidian isn't available for smelting. anyone know why?

I have obsidian laying around but can't smelt it.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2010, 11:15:58 am »

Durr... I didn't have fuel. -facepalm-

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2010, 11:20:39 am »

Alright, I started with 150 wood and burned that all to charcoal. Ended up with about a dozen bars of the common metals and one gold bar plus halfway to a platinum bar. This seems about right, though I may knock bismuth down a bit as its mostly useless and shows up too often.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2010, 12:59:15 pm »

Unfortunately magma is hard-coded, but you could do it the other way around I believe. Make layer obsidian something like "Natural Obsidian" or something else, and have normal obsidian (the one hard-coded to form from magma) as the ore.

If what forms from Magma is hard-coded, then why does the LAVA tag direct what lines the magma vents?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2010, 01:01:33 pm »

Unfortunately magma is hard-coded, but you could do it the other way around I believe. Make layer obsidian something like "Natural Obsidian" or something else, and have normal obsidian (the one hard-coded to form from magma) as the ore.

If what forms from Magma is hard-coded, then why does the LAVA tag direct what lines the magma vents?
I'm not sure what you're referring to, but I do not know how to change what magma cools into; if it is possible at all to do. If you know how, please share.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2010, 01:08:45 pm »

Obsidian has a LAVA tag on it in the raws. When I added it to something else, that became what lined the magma vent. I'm not sure if that was just a fluke, or what, and I don't know if this will change what is formed by magma and water.

HOWEVER a trip to the wiki (and only found 'cuz I knew what I was looking for, that modding section needs work) leads to
http://dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Matgloss_tokens
which says of the tag:
LAVA - lines the magma pipe; formed with water + magma

So theoretically you can remove the LAVA tag from obsidian, and then add it to whatever new stone you create to have the properties you are desiring of the magma-water created stone.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2010, 01:09:42 pm »

Well, I didn't know that. I'll consider trying it out.

Moff Tigriss

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 06, 2010, 12:59:46 pm »

Bump !

I loved that mod in 40d (after some bug fixes in your work), and now, i'm looking for 31. adaptation. In facts, i know how construct new reactions, but i have some troubles with the intermediary product "XXXXX slag". And guides or not realy usefull in this case.

Anyone have an idea about all of these ?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #54 on: June 06, 2010, 01:06:33 pm »

I have been holding off modding 31.x until a few of the larger bugs are fixed. I have had a lot of trouble with the military working correctly, which hampers my ability to test mods reliably. I will look into it a bit though, when I get some time.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #55 on: June 06, 2010, 01:24:22 pm »

Amazing mod idea, I should take notes on this.
Plus in .31 you can make custom workshops. :D
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

deoxy

• Bay Watcher
  • Insert witty comment here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 09, 2010, 05:15:31 pm »

Obsidian-> metal mods are quite common.  Personally, I just added a smelter reaction to each stone type that has a 1% chance of producing a bar of each type of metal that shows up in it as a VEIN and a 3% chance for each type that shows up as LARGE_CLUSTER.  Obsidian ends up with 2% chance for copper (the most common metal, with several ores to add up), 1% for lead, iron, gold, and silver.

Oh, and there's no reason to make an ore instead of using reactions: reactions are just a random percent chance like ores, not a portion of a complete object like melting metal things.  (In 40d, anyway)

Upright Path

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 09, 2010, 06:36:04 pm »

There is a small reason to make things 'ores', and that's so that it's listed as a Metal in the Custom Stockpile's Stone section. Other than that, though...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]