Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Forgotten Beast  (Read 1824 times)

Saktoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Forgotten Beast
« on: April 17, 2010, 03:51:44 am »

Okay, so a forgotten beast appeared in an underwater cavern. This is some sort of mega beast, came off the map, announcing itself.

Code: [Select]
An enormous blob composed of mud. It has wings and it has a bloated body. Beward its Poisonous sting!

Its right wing is gone. Its left wing is gone. Its stinger is gone.

I quickly got a bow dwarf down there who ripped it to shreds with his fists, so its no great threat. I thought he could handle it, until he got exhausted, tired, and thirsty from fighting it. No problem, more dwarfs. Conscript a bunch, pikedwarf, bowdwarfs, wrestlers, and they pile on the thing. And nothing happens. They wrestle it, dogs bite it, and it just sits in my stairway disrupting my fortress while the dwarves pile around it beating it up.

In wounds, its body is red and its stinger and wings are dark grey. And finally, it is leaving 'A smear of' and 'A pool of's everywhere. Not smears or pools of anything, just 'of'.

Something wrong with this critter, or do i just not have the weaponry required to kill it?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Forgotten Beast
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 03:57:55 am »

Sounds like the naming of the liquid (Mud) that it is made of is glitched! Never mind.

Yea, that can be tricky to kill, I found spears to work well though, but that's just me.

Peasant

• Bay Watcher
  • MANY WHELPS NOW HANDLE IT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 03:58:27 am »

How do you kill that which is made of mud? I doubt it even has any organs. You need to utterly destroy him somehow, magma?

Saktoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 04:03:04 am »

Pour magma all over my fortress? Hrrm, not the worst idea i've heard.

But you see, i'd need to make screw pumps etc, and i cant, because he is sitting in my major stairwell.

Is there any way i can stop him interrupting orders or make people ignore him?

Urist McCyrilin

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh, the dwarfity!
    • View Profile
    • CyCom! Writing&PnP!
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 04:19:48 am »

You can't stop Dwarves from being spooked by him. Well, perhaps by giving them the NO_FEAR tag but I am nto sure if that would work. As for inorganic creatures, they are bugged as hell and most of them are entirely immortal save from magma or encasing in something.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 04:27:14 am »

My fort was eliminated by blob of water recently.
Its known bug - you cannot kill beasts composed of non-living material.

Also, checking combat logs, i found that all of my military's kills come from either damaging target's brain or severing off its bodyparts. Obviously such beasts have neither no brains nor severable critical parts (my last one had 'tail' and just 'body'. Severing off tail wasn't fatal for it)

Saktoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 05:01:24 am »

Restarted the game from last season (crashed too much to not be autosaving!), and this is my third try, hoping to just be able to block that level off.

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2010, 05:12:57 am »

trap him as best you can (construct some walls) and then drop a cavein on his soggy ass.

CrossBolt

• Bay Watcher
  • Lucid Dreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2010, 05:21:39 am »

I love this forgotten beast with no wings and a stinger yet saying it has and warning us about them

Urist McSoldier: "Hey, whats that?"
Urist McStupid: "Oh no! it's a giant blob composed of mud with wings and a poisonous sting!"
Urist McSoldier: "err, no, it's just a blob..."
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where nosebleeds melt your face off.

ET

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2010, 04:00:25 pm »

On my fortress I got this beast

The forgotten beast Simo Larothsedme has come!  A great blob composed of snow.  It has wings and it appears to be emaciated.

I set my army to attack it. it was left with a red body and no wings and than proceeded to kill my fortress. I looked at the logs after-woods and this sort of thing happened repeatedly during the battle:
The militia commander hacks The Forgotten Beast in the body with her (copper battle axe), breaking away the rest of the tissue!

And this happened after-woods to the dwarves:
The Forgotten Beast pushes The Recruit in the upper body, bruising the muscle and bruising the heart through the (naked mole dog leather coat)!

I get the feeling we cut this beast to an indivisible size then it killed my dwarves by pushing them a bit.

Tycho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2010, 06:51:49 pm »

A similar thing is happening to me; I have my entire army pounding away on this punching bag Flesh ball, it's torn open and bruised, and doesn't seem capable of doing any damage, but my entire population is scared shitless. I'm just hoping it gives out before everybody dies of thirst.
Tycho canceles Starting Fist Fight: Went Insane.

zarmazarma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2010, 12:41:05 pm »

I'd just wall it off and dig another path...

Joakim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2010, 05:09:45 pm »

Augh, just had the exact same problem. The blob was sitting in the middle of the main staircase and wouldn't move because a couple of dogs that fought it. Does anybody know a RAW mod that fixes the problem. I don't care if blobs die immediately, it's just a stop-gap measure.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2010, 07:08:22 pm »

Its known bug - you cannot kill beasts composed of non-living material.

YES YOU CAN. Just not creatures with one-part "body" configurations (blobs, slugs, etc.) becuase they have to have a vital bodypart removed to be killed.

Your fort is screwed unless you can flood it out of your stairway. Or just make a different stairway.

EDIT: And WHY IN THE NINE HELLS IS THERE ALWAYS AN IMMORTAL BLOB OF SHIT IN THE CENTRAL STAIRCASE?! You'd think by now the tales of this horrible situation would have spread enough that people would STOP CONNECTING THEIR CAVERNS DIRECTLY TO THEIR STAIRWAY. It would seem like a bad idea.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 07:11:15 pm by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!