Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Waterfall vs. Bolts  (Read 2554 times)

immibis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Waterfall vs. Bolts
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2010, 12:42:22 am »

Please post the seed and location, I've never been able to find any site with a waterfall > 1 z-level.
If I wanted ramps I would've designated ramps, dammit!

ChopperDave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2010, 01:35:46 am »

Looks like some swimming lessons would have been in order from the start.

It would seem that stone has a very high water retention rating. Somewhere around infinity. I hit some damp stone quite a ways in front and to the side of the falls and kept digging. The stone started leaking. Tried to make a channel to drain the water and the channel started generating its own water. My fort is now submerged.

On the plus side I might have found a interesting way to irrigate. Maybe I can just drain the whole thing into the cavern layer. =\

Losing is fun...
Give an elf a fire and he will be warm for a day. Toss him 20z levels into the magma sea and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

ChopperDave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2010, 01:37:17 am »

Vieto found this one.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=54569.msg1189999#msg1189999

Just watch out for that damp stone.

On second thought this area might have had an aquifer. Can't remember.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 01:52:43 am by ChopperDave »
Give an elf a fire and he will be warm for a day. Toss him 20z levels into the magma sea and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

SpacemanSpiff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2010, 02:29:22 am »

Here's a 5-z waterfall that I played for a while.  Two biomes, a warm moist tropical broadleaf forest on limestone, and a single square of hot mountains.  Both are basic wilderness.  All civilizations are still alive (I only use 100 years of history), and you've got plentiful iron, coal, and flux in the first few levels.  I actually got bored because with a couple of steel-plated squads it seemed too easy, but it's a nice spot to learn about waterfalls.  If anyone figures out how to tweak the values to e.g. make the region haunted, please share!

Just use the finder to search for a 3x3 site with flux, no aquifer, and a brook.  That puts you in the right square.  Then use ukmh to shift the 3x3 box move down and right, so you're up against the right edge of the local map, and the river is running through the middle of the 3x3 box. This places the waterfall in the middle of the embark site. 

If you want to find it manually, then on the world map it's in the leftmost column, 3rd row from the bottom, and on the regional map it's 6th column from the left, 8th row from the bottom.  The local map has a river coming in from the top and leaving from the right.  Enjoy :)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

culwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2010, 03:31:17 am »

Your idea is awesome and I am going to steal it  :D

immibis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2010, 03:51:06 am »

Looks like some swimming lessons would have been in order from the start.

It would seem that stone has a very high water retention rating. Somewhere around infinity. I hit some damp stone quite a ways in front and to the side of the falls and kept digging. The stone started leaking. Tried to make a channel to drain the water and the channel started generating its own water. My fort is now submerged.

On the plus side I might have found a interesting way to irrigate. Maybe I can just drain the whole thing into the cavern layer. =\

Losing is fun...
Congratulations. You've hit an Aquifer. They can source (and sink) infinite water.
If I wanted ramps I would've designated ramps, dammit!

j8stereo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2010, 06:10:17 am »

I hate to ruin your plans, but this map is cursed. There are two dwarf civs, and both are dead. You will get a page of migrants, no more.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2010, 08:48:10 am »

One way of avoiding the worst of the splash problem might be to to channel out the floor behind the fortifications and create a drainage pipe leading out a few z-levels beneath, then cover the channel with floor grates.

The only problem I can forsee with this arrangement is that your marksdwarves will end up soaking wet; if it's a cold or freezing biome this could be problematic.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

ChopperDave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2010, 11:33:51 am »

Thanks for the no dwarf civ warning. I changed the history seed to random and got 3 civs on the embark screen under "Your Civilization." That would allow migrants, yes?

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2010, 12:06:21 pm »

I hate to ruin your plans, but this map is cursed. There are two dwarf civs, and both are dead. You will get a page of migrants, no more.
Oooh, my favourite.  A no-immigrants / no-trade map is actually great fun: your dwarves become actually *valuable*, and you can play for long enough that the kids grow up and marry and have their own kids.
Pages: 1 [2]