Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 31.03 Raw Skins Stockpile?  (Read 5836 times)

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
31.03 Raw Skins Stockpile?
« on: May 01, 2010, 09:34:11 pm »

Where are these supposed to go now?  I tried Refuse/Item Types/Fresh Raw Hide but the skins are not going to that stockpile.  They also do not go to a Refuse/Body Parts stockpile.  My butchers are working more quickly than my tanners, so skins are just rotting in the butcher workshop because I can't get them stored anyplace else.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Bishop36

• Bay Watcher
  • It is known.
    • View Profile
Re: 31.03 Raw Skins Stockpile?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 10:45:46 pm »

I think you have to turn off the option to save skins under the (r)efuse menu of the (o)ptions menu.
"Things that make noise should never be sold to small children. Only adults can handle that responsibility."

-Justin from Left-Hand Toons

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 09:14:29 am »

It is set to save skulls, bones, and shells, and those go to a stockpile rather than sit in the butcher workshop.  Saving skins should work the same way, and did so in 40d.

I found one problem, which was that the tanner workshop had completely stopped tanning skins even though it is configured to be automatic.  I had to revive it from the job manager screen.  Things like this are why some people say that 31.xx is a step back from 40d.  I am not saying that it is a step back, but it could be considered a step back for the auto-tanning to have become unreliable and for raw skins not to be stored anyplace.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 11:07:50 am »

They'll be parts of corpses until butchered, I think. It seems to work out, and they still use the refuse stockpile as an intermediate.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 11:28:42 am »

No that's the thing - OP is saying that butchered corpses leave skins that aren't being hauled off to a stockpile even though they're open and available. Auto-tanning should work though (I'm sure I had it work), but I did read that there's a bug where like 3 workshops' auto functions are tied together. Can't remember what those 3 were but I'd bet tanning is one of them. No answer about the stockpile question - I'm assuming you have enough idle dwarves with refuse hauling enabled to conclude that it's not a lack of dwarfpower that's causing this.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 09:47:41 am »

are the skins getting tasked in the butchers workshop but not removed? Maybe the haulers are so far away the skins rot before they get there (break/nap/drink/eat would do it), although I can't see that being a common problem.

Try deconstructing the butcher's shop after a few kills, maybe having the skins hit the floor will spur people to action?
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

HatfieldCW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 04:45:22 pm »

One time in 40d I had skulls piling up in my butcher's shop, so badly that I had to actually deconstruct and rebuild the shop several times.  It turned out that my guys were set to not collect refuse from outside, and after a couple facepalms I was back in action.  If your guys are stockpiling bones and skulls from the shop, maybe you've got a different situation, but that's all I can think of.
I brake for stumble bumblings