Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Swordbelts and Backup Weapons  (Read 768 times)

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
Swordbelts and Backup Weapons
« on: May 22, 2010, 06:19:33 am »

The setup I'm envisioning is a sword-belt item, and a tag for entries in item_weapon enabling them to be put in it.

In fortress mode, you can assign your soldiers a sword-belt and choose which weapon goes into it, in addition to whatever their primary weapon happens to be. If that primary weapon breaks, gets stuck or they lose their grip on it then they draw their backup, and dwarves whose primary weapon is a crossbow drop it in favour of their backup when the enemy reaches an adjacent tile.

In adventure mode, owning a sword-belt should do all of the above, but also enable a "swap weapon" hotkey. If the weapon currently in hand has the sword-belt tag, it goes there ready to be swapped back when necessary; otherwise, it hits the ground.

If the Fighter stat does what I suspect it does, Toady could even implement a means for dwarves in Fortress mode to switch between melee weapons based on what would work best of their own accord.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
Re: Swordbelts and Backup Weapons
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 06:29:09 am »

This has been suggested before, at least twice. (*Waits for Footkerchief*)

I think the name you're looking for is 'scabbard', not swordbelt; I digress.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 07:55:05 am »

I wait for the day dwarves pull zweihanders from their throats, when their foes draw close.

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 02:18:35 pm »

Isnt it already possible to tell dwarfs with the military equip screen to get 2 weapons?
i.e a training sword and a iron sword (so they use the training one for training and the iron for battle)
or a crossbow and a sword (first shooting the enemy then the sword when the dwarf cant get away and is in close combat)
or a sword and a hammer  (uses the one he is more trained in and when that "breaks/gets stuck/loses it" he uses the other one)

so... (if it is like these examples above already ingame), why do we need a scabbard when they can already get 2 weapons?

or (if its not like that already (then why can we assign multiple weapons with the equip screen? just for: "when you cant get this one try the other"?)) we could just assign "primary/secondary" weapons with a button in the equip screen. dwarfs will try to get both but mostly use the primary one. (exept they lose the primary or crossbow (primary) dwarfs in closecombat)

sidenote:
wouldnt that make crossbow dwarfs extreme strong?
as they dont have the "disadvantage" of closecombat, because they have a second weapon.
but wouldnt players just set ALL dwarfs be crossbow dwarfs then?
i.e. a sworddwarf (great with swords... but cant hit a wall with a bow)... he just gets a drossbow and a sword... so he can try to land a few bolts into the enemy before he finishes him with the sword.

ofcourse enemys would have that ability too then! (ohh the fun of a 4 armed colosus with 4 bows AND 4 swords... killing dwarfs from far and near.)

gameplay wise it would be better when dwarfs have just one weapon (i guess). so you cant have dwarfs armed for everything possible... but instead you have to chose if you want swords or crossbows.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 03:40:50 pm »

since one is the primary and the other is a secondary you would have melee dwarves for the same reason that people trained close combat warriors in real life.
1: They're good at range and crap up close, which is what archers and the like really were (they usually had knives or short swords to defend themselves with).

OR

2: They're crap at range and less-good-but-still-kinda-ok up close, in which case they fail to significantly harm an oncoming opponent far away and still lose in a sword fight to a melee-training-only warrior.

As it is, dwarves have time to get legendary at almost every single combat skill within a lifetime, so if you want to give them all crossbows and long swords, go for it.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Andeerz

• Bay Watcher
  • ...likes cows for their haunting moos.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2010, 06:18:18 pm »