Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: My dorfs wont spar together, why ?  (Read 2459 times)

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
Re: My dorfs wont spar together, why ?
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2010, 02:05:22 am »

How do I set them to Active, though...  I don't think there's an option for that.  I've set the squad to the alert, having them train the entire year, have beds, bags, armor and weapon racks in a nice barracks for them but they never activate and become military dwarves, instead remaining civvies and doing their individual combat drills.  This just won't work.  If I can't get them to fight each other they'll never accumulate armor and shield user skill so they'll die off fast.  So far the only way I've found to 'activate' military dwarves is to give them attack or move orders.  THEN they will turn into military dwarves and go kick ass.  But they will never spar, never train, the leader never does the teaching thing etc. etc.  you've heard this a hundred times already I'm sure.

Kavalion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2010, 07:04:44 am »

I don't even know how I did it, but there were a few toggles I had to use.  One was setting a barracks to train, another was activating the squads under military alerts... I don't remember what else.

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2010, 01:56:12 pm »

You CAN'T activate them.  At least not to make them train.  They will activate to follow out orders like killing kobold thieves, guarding a caravan route etc.  But never will they activate and train.  It even says so on the wiki;  Due to a bug, dwarves will only train when inactive.  Marksdwarf training works fine but you need a quiver;  They won't just carry a stack of bolts in one hand and shoot those.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 02:00:35 pm by Xvareon »

s22190

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2010, 04:24:13 am »

I miss having a REAL full time military; not a ad hoc militia... Kuddos to Toady for improving the game with the caverns, HFS and all but man I think the new military system needs to be simplified... you know stick to the basic squad orders: move, attack, defend and train.  I am fine with the ''custom'' uniforms you can apply and etc but I think the schedules and the rest is way too much. Hell I am the military and we dont even have a schedule that is that complicated ! lol

CppThis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2010, 04:43:24 am »

From what I've read of the old system, and what I've seen of the new, I think the new way will actually be even more like having a full-time military in the sense that you can order them anywhere, have organized training/patrol schedules and call them up at a moment's notice.  It's just really really buggy atm and needs a bit of streamlining with respect to barracks and logistics.

Some Internet Guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2010, 08:15:58 am »

Pretty sure it's the expedition leader, not the mayor. Mayors are replaced in elections every few years (it's a dwarf popularity contest), but expedition leaders are only made when you embark. It's a unique position that can not be replaced and if the leader is lost, the noble system stops working.

The mayor takes over the expedition leader's role once the fort develops to a certain point. At a fort with 50+ dwarves I don't think you even get an expedition leader anymore, he loses his post.

How do I set them to Active, though...  I don't think there's an option for that.  I've set the squad to the alert, having them train the entire year, have beds, bags, armor and weapon racks in a nice barracks for them but they never activate and become military dwarves, instead remaining civvies and doing their individual combat drills.  This just won't work.  If I can't get them to fight each other they'll never accumulate armor and shield user skill so they'll die off fast.  So far the only way I've found to 'activate' military dwarves is to give them attack or move orders.  THEN they will turn into military dwarves and go kick ass.  But they will never spar, never train, the leader never does the teaching thing etc. etc.  you've heard this a hundred times already I'm sure.

Yeah squad training's kinda wierd, sometimes that's all they ever do sometimes it seems like they never do it. If you've got them set to train in the squads command, training for their schedule (the default), and your squad leader's still alive and kicking they should do it off and on? Otherwise the individual combat seems to be all they ever do.

Related question is there any point at all to setting them to active? Far as I'm aware kill orders override everything, so it seems like kinda a pointless function.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 08:29:05 am by Some Internet Guy »

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2010, 09:10:26 am »

Here's an easier way to train dwarves: dump a weak wild animal, or better yet an unarmed goblin in an enclosed space and then send a squad equipped with training weapons to kill it. Nonstop weapon skill ups.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Boingboingsplat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2010, 12:49:08 pm »

I don't see a problem with the individual combat training; my dwarves don't get hurt and it raises skills fairly well.
Pages: 1 [2]