Author Topic: Win?  (Read 2400 times)

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
Re: Win?
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2010, 06:30:41 pm »

There is no "win" in the game sense.  The real win is for the player to have fun, doing whatever the player enjoys most about the game.  Set your own goals and try to meet them.

Losing isn't really fun, anyway.  Starting a new fortress is fun, but you don't have to lose in order to do that.   :P
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Bishop36

• Bay Watcher
  • It is known.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2010, 08:50:13 pm »

I find that by the time I lose I am so fed up with my dwarves being dumb that the flying dwarf limbs make me smile.
"Things that make noise should never be sold to small children. Only adults can handle that responsibility."

-Justin from Left-Hand Toons

Raisapius

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2010, 11:38:44 pm »

The closest thing one can come to winning is having a fortress in such a state that nothing can threaten it...

...Which is unimaginably boring. Hence, losing is fun.

Randy Gnoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2010, 11:44:43 pm »

It's not whether you win or lose, it's how many kittens you kill on the way.

Pickled Tink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2010, 11:47:26 pm »

cover every floor tile of your embark site with upright green glass spikes, then pull the lever.

Warning: Requires more stone than is possible to have without importing or manufacturing obsidian.

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2010, 12:11:59 am »

cover every floor tile of your embark site with upright green glass spikes, then pull the lever.

Warning: Requires more stone than is possible to have without importing or manufacturing obsidian.

nah, you just need to strip mine the top two z-levels' stone, this creates stone without creating floor tiles.

speaking of- win condition: to strip mine your embark all the way down to the lowest level, killing everything along the way, and erecting a dark tower in the resulting smoking, magma filled pit- you are allowed to leave a 3 wide ramp from the top of the pit to the bottom or create a bridge from the edge to your tower in order to give merchants access.  Bonus points if you manage to power a pump tower tall enough to bring magma to the top of your amazing edifice, which should rise out of the pit, for the purpose of raining down on your enemies.
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2010, 12:32:47 am »

There is no overarching win condition.

You lose if all your dwarves die.

Thusly, winning is a state of being, rather than a set event. Personally, I count every survived year as a win.
I'm working on a scoring system for this.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Rotten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2010, 01:07:38 am »

Thusly, winning is a state of being, rather than a set event. Personally, I count every survived year as a win.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Though what I like about DF is that you can't win, you just keep plowing through the magma and vomit to the bloody end. And it looks awesome.

True, but at a certain velocity the resulting explosion expels invader-bits at fatal speeds. You don't want to be dropping trogdolyte-shaped shrapnel bombs into your boneworks.
Only in Dwarf Fortress...

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2010, 02:08:41 am »

Upright sword claimed: 30 points

This should be 75. Maybe 100.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2010, 02:17:59 am »

30 for claimed and, 100 for survived?  ;)

Kza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2010, 02:26:51 am »

I believe that winning has been regarded as getting close to Fun many times and never getting there.
I think it's called "Boatmurdered" and occasionally "Bronzemurdered".

Though winning is defined by the user. For example, some may believe that hooking the magma pipe directly into the king's bedroom is winning, others might say it's shortsighted-- you SHOULD have encased him in obsidian instead.

Many believe that there is no winning. I think they're wrong. You win by playing and doing stupid stuff. That's what dwarf fortress is all about.
And then it's pretty much a normal fortress from then on.
I find the idea of a normal fortress amusing.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2010, 12:41:04 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Though what I like about DF is that you can't win, you just keep plowing through the magma and vomit to the bloody end. And it looks awesome.

Good, but what about megaconstructions? I was thinking of scoring for those, as well. Say, 1 point for a rough stone wall, three for a smooth block wall, 10 for cast obsidian, and so forth?
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2010, 02:22:14 pm »

If lose is fun then what is win?
You win when you're having fun.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2010, 02:42:22 pm »

DF is a rare instance of game where you can win and lose at the same time.
Pages: 1 [2]