Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Earthquake/Cave-In Idea  (Read 565 times)

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Earthquake/Cave-In Idea
« on: April 29, 2010, 11:47:56 am »

So, I know a lot of things like this have been suggested, but I don't think this specific one has.

So, Toady's talked about the difficulty of calculated stress realistically, to make a solid cave-in system. Here's my idea- come up with a very rough stress-test system that may take quite a while a run (no framerate issues, it won't happen often), and have a random "Earthquake" event; the earthquake randomly destroys tiles, with a probability based off the "stress" on that tile, and cave-ins proceed as they currently do.

So, if you have a 50-z-level-upside-down pyramid supported by a single tile, it won't instantly collapse, but at the first earthquake that single support tile will be a huge candidate for sudden existence failure.
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

Urist McCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Earthquake/Cave-In Idea
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 06:04:58 pm »

that's a good one. you could recalculate stress every month or so and it'd still be forgivable (better than every frame, at least :P), and that way you'd have a real reason to build something that looks awesome, other than "i want it to look realistic"

lucusLoC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 06:43:05 pm »

so would there be a random "earthquake" event and the stresses would be calculated then? i would imagine this would cause a freeze while the calculation is run, but i guess that is forgivable.

i also assume it would be an ini option, but that is unimportant to me.

+1 from me.
Quantum dumps are proof of "memory" being a perfectly normal dimension in DF. ~Gazz

Canalan

• Bay Watcher
  • A Chainsaw! Find some meat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 06:45:25 pm »

It would pause and center on the epicenter,and during that time it could run calculations.

Andeerz

• Bay Watcher
  • ...likes cows for their haunting moos.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 07:00:35 pm »

It wouldn't even have to be an earthquake, just a time of month when stresses are calculated.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 07:02:10 pm »

It will be the end of all megaconstructions.  :'(
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 07:18:36 pm »

just a time of month when stresses are calculated.

I was gonna try to fit in a period joke, but I couldn't think of one.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 07:21:04 pm »

Doesn't have to be, I mean, we can make mega constructions in RL, right?

Of course, construction should be overhauled to allow for the kind of megaprojects we have in RL. I mean, the engineering behind some of them is very dwarfy, but we lack the engineering possibilities.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Wolfmilf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 07:27:39 pm »

Should be optional so you could build weird fantasy megastructures.
Or have some crazy strong material as base :3