Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dworfs hungrier than before?  (Read 1098 times)

zmanred01

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Dworfs hungrier than before?
« on: April 20, 2010, 10:41:44 pm »

So, I've played several forts before and never really had this issue after I learned the basics, but for some reason it seems in this game that the Dorfs have gotten hungrier. Since the new version, I've tried setting up about 5 forts (when they haven't error'd out and crashed during generation), and it seems that by the time I actually get to setting up my farms, my dworfs are all about dead from hunger.

Does anyone know if they've suddenly gotten hungrier, or has the reduced point buy (less food, slower diggers, growers, etc) and the muddy underground soil glitch been the cause of 35 dorfy demises so far?

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
Re: Dworfs hungrier than before?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 11:15:18 pm »

You don't have reduced points, it's just used up on medical supplies by default. You can free up a lot of points by dropping the crutches and stuff.

You can also adjust the points you get in the world generation if you want more.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Coidzure Dreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 11:27:46 pm »

Well, part of it is that they wait until they're hungrier to break off to grab something to eat, making it more likely they'll accidentally starve to death if something interrupts them or they get distracted from eating.

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 11:53:33 pm »

You can save some points by buying milk, then turning it into cheese after you embark; just make sure you have a place to store the milk and/or cheese. Don't want it to rot.
There is an engraving of three dwarves in a dining room. The third dwarf is a soaper.

TwilightWalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 12:40:53 am »

Also, I'm amazed people never talk about this, but you can alter the amount of embark points you have with a custom worldgen.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 07:47:29 am »

You can save more points by dropping your axes and picks and taking the ore and smelting the weapons yourself.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Megabass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 09:59:14 am »

Dworf, son of Urist McMog has taken joy in battle lately.

Sorry, had to do it. Anyway...
Also, I'm amazed people never talk about this, but you can alter the amount of embark points you have with a custom worldgen.
Yes, but a lot of us like to work with what we're given. But yeah, as folks have said, you can save a lot of points on embark by dropping medical supplies, bags, ropes, axes, and picks, and bringing an Anvil, Copper Bars, and some fuel instead. Buying lots of different meats still works for extra barrels, and you can now buy sand for very cheap, each unit of which (I think) comes with it's own bag, so if you're in desperate need of bags, just buy sand and dump it out once you arrive.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 10:04:19 am by Megabass »

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 11:56:11 am »

I have to say this is one change in dwarf 3.0 I am REALLY NOT liking...

In Dwarf 2.0 many of us moaned about dwarfs nipping off for a nap or for a bite every time we started them smelting steel or making important fortifications... But I htink I would rather have THAT the much of my fort walking around tired, hungry AND Thirsty all at the same time.
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 12:09:03 pm »

Question:

Toady made it so your soldiers wouldn't get a break without replacement soldiers to fill their spots, if I recall correctly.

Does the same work for other jobs?

I work my dwarves really hard and I haven't had any die in forever.
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 12:14:52 pm »

For food, bring animals. I haven't figured it out yet, but one mule gives like 10 meat and maybe a dozen or two assorted edible organs. Get some breeding pairs, and with the male/female choice you can now get optimum numbers easily, and between milking and butchery you can get plenty of food.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Roderick Jaynes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 02:24:45 pm »

The worst effect I've seen of dwarves working longer hours is that when miners are hungry/thirsty/tired, they seem to do a worse job, performing slower and leaving fewer stones/ores. That kind of gets on my nerves.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 03:00:58 pm »

Every job seems to perform worse when hungry/thirsty/tired. I ordered a set of armor to be crafted and my dumbass legendary armorsmith ran to do the job while hungry/thirsty/tired (apparently right after hauling an owned item, or a sock that he had claimed and left on the surface, all the way down to his room) and wound up creating a bunch of absolute garbage instead of his usual exceptional and masterwork stuff. Not a single exceptional or masterwork in the entire set.

Micromanaging him to get him to eat and drink and everything before making any armor had him produce masterworks every other item and everything else exceptional.

The same thing happens with meals - my cook will start cooking when hes fine, make maybe 2 or 3 good meals, then start making absolute crap because he gets hungry thirsty or tired and doesn't take a break.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 11:38:14 pm »

I couldn't agree with you More Paul

I think we may be reaching the limits of what we want in terms of "Realism"  Since the new version I can't remember NOT seeing a Dwarf either tired, thirsty or Hungry, or usually all three. Granted no one has DIED ..yet... but it is distressing that it seems impossible to keep Dwarfs "happy" these days.

The game went from tasks being done at 100%, but with frequent interruptions... To now now Dwarfs working themselves to death and doing crap jobs.

I had a Legendary blacksmith churn out almost 30 iron chests, and got only TWO masterworks from them.  a LEGENDARY Blacksmith.

the game is not as fun...
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2010, 12:51:50 am »

Toady just needs to tweak the behavior. If they run get food/drink/sleep between jobs and use the current code of working through it during a job they won't have the annoying cancelations due to it, but they also won't work themselves to death making 50 meals on repeat and wind up making shoddy quality due to it.

He just needs to add in a little check after every job is completed that simply looks at their hunger/thirst/tiredness values, and if they are getting hungry/thirsty/tired they take care of it before starting another job. It would be even more cool if they compared the estimated time a task would take with their current values and got a quick meal or drink before they started if it was going to be an extra long job that would normally cause them to get thirsty. In reality if I'm about to go out and do something that I know will take a while I might get a quick drink or a little snack even if I just ate a few hours before (or at least take something with me, but it's hard enough to get military dwarves to do that, let alone civilians...). This would prevent the miner running wwaaay down the shaft, getting to the end, mining one rock, and running back for a drink - they would see the distance to the job and think "Gee, I better grab a drink now before I go."

That way dwarves go into jobs ready to work for a while, but won't stop a long task (like butchering a very large animal) due to needing a drink or meal.