Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Improved Machinery  (Read 442 times)

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
Improved Machinery
« on: April 14, 2010, 12:36:00 pm »

Couple of ideas:
* Treadmills or something similar that would put out about 20 units of power, enough to run a pump on the z-level below or turn a millstone. Could be either dwarf-powered or use large animals. The idea would be a simpler alternative to multi-level vertical axles just to power a pump you only use once a season.

* An option for custom workshops that require power, and a reaction that can generate it, for the section of the community that's still holding out for a Dwarven Industrial Revolution. Doesn't have to be used in the vanilla game, but it'd be an extremely versatile tool for modding.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Improved Machinery
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 02:03:52 pm »

The Improved Mechanics megathread covers those and more.  It's also #6 on Eternal Suggestion Voting, and since Toady will be working on the top ~10 entries (along with the Adv. Skills Arc and improved sieges) after he finishes crucial bugfixes and the Linux/OSX merge, this has a good chance of being implemented soon.