Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Natural caverns and tunnels  (Read 1125 times)

The Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Natural caverns and tunnels
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2007, 05:56:00 am »

Though dragons would be too extreme, as they have cave exits outside for flight, having a mountain with a natural cave entrance would be a bit scary.

However, a few caves consisting a bunch of frogmen, batmen (nanananananananananananana BATMANnn), and some kobolds guarding a quasi-magical patch (self growing) of fertile mushrooms and some rough cut jewels would be an early incentive to start fighting and flexible cave strategy.

[ August 06, 2007: Message edited by: The Khan ]

h34R my 1337 masterwork turtle bone crossbows of doom!

Axehilt_VuP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2007, 12:17:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by The Khan:
[QB]Though dragons would be too extreme, as they have cave exits outside for flight, having a mountain with a natural cave entrance would be a bit scary.

Why do you think these natural caves couldn't have a natural cave entrance?  As for the Dragon Cave suggestion, there's not even a reason it has to be a natural cave.  It could be dug by the dragon, or ruined remnants of an early civilization that the dragon adopted.

Also, how is it scary for a mountain to have a natural cave entrance? That kind of thing exists in real life :P

Gameplay-wise, these Dragon Caves could be part of the late game content of DF - providing interesting challenges for the player to react to as he digs his way deeper through the mountain.  It's also one of those ideas that could be either very simple (you find a cave with a dragon in it with lots of treasure; he always attacks the dwarves) or very complex (you get prompted with various ways to deal with the dragon; pay tribute, ally with him if alignment is similar, or defeat him in combat.)  Has a lot of potential, depending on how much interest there is developing the idea.

schm0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2007, 12:56:00 pm »

I think that the natural caves would be a good idea... the ideas of dragons are nice, but I'd like to see just caves for right now. Caved-in portions with raw rocks to be hauled out (ready to go) and perhaps a small cave-pool or path to the river. This would provide some realism, as seasonal floods could (over time) erode sandstone and other light rock materials.

The chasm, as I see it, is a giant rift from the forming of the mountain, so it just makes sense to have little cracks go every which way.

Magma should have it's veins, too, and caves surrounding the magma could be cooled vents that have been sealed off or bypassed by the current lava flow.

And what about my stalctite/stalagmite ideas? :P

[ August 06, 2007: Message edited by: schm0 ]

schm0
-------------
Nuk: lol schm0, u r da funnay
Nuk: i lik u

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2007, 03:34:00 pm »

This idea is very good. Natural caves should be in the game someday. Some of them should have some kind of creatures, yes even dragons.   :)

Turgid Bolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Tacticus Grandmaster
    • View Profile
    • http://...
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2007, 04:14:00 pm »

It seems from the video of the next version that pools appear within the mountain, and once you drain them you have something of a natural cave.  This doesn't replace real creature dens and such, but it's something to play around with.
"This is an engraving of a Dwarf and a Mandrill Leather Skirt. The Dwarf is raising the skirt."
Multiplayer Adventure Mode, the (now defunct) DF roleplaying game.

The Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2007, 06:58:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Turgid Bolk:
<STRONG>It seems from the video of the next version that pools appear within the mountain, and once you drain them you have something of a natural cave.  This doesn't replace real creature dens and such, but it's something to play around with.</STRONG>

Not bad,not bad. How about cave springs containing healing waters and fishes?

h34R my 1337 masterwork turtle bone crossbows of doom!
Pages: 1 [2]