Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: suggestion for 2010 version regarding plate armour's possible characteristics...  (Read 3391 times)

Andeerz

• Bay Watcher
  • ...likes cows for their haunting moos.
    • View Profile

I don't think the BP mod does the trick, unfortunately.  I still see throat wounds without any reference to interacting with any armor.  The same goes for chain.

EDIT:  Changing [UBSTEP:0] to [UBSTEP:MAX] or [UBSTEP:2] in the item_armor raw file does the trick, I think.  But it ends up making the BP also protect the face and ears...
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 04:10:58 am by Andeerz »

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

most of the face and ears was coverd by most armors.
it's the eyes that are the hard part as you need to see in a fight.
may be some a dont block eyes tag in need for armor.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Andeerz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I disagree.  While testing this out myself, helms do not protect the ears, cheeks, nose, mouth, nor throat.  The breastplate can if you set it to have [UBSTEP:2] or [UBSTEP:MAX].  I tried doing the same to the helm, but it doesn't seem to work.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think there might be some issues with connectivity, where the neck isn't actually in between the head and torso. I could be wrong, but it would be worth making sure that's working properly first.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile

I think there might be some issues with connectivity, where the neck isn't actually in between the head and torso. I could be wrong, but it would be worth making sure that's working properly first.

All of the joint-type connections act like this -- necks are only attached to the head, elbows are only attached to the lower arm, knees are only attached to the lower leg.  It's part of why severs are currently dumb (you can't cut off someone's head by severing their neck).

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

... Is there a way to fix that in the raws, or is it just a problem with the new body part system?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile

It's a problem with the old body part system, which hasn't fundamentally changed in the new version (the tissue layer system mostly sits on top of it, I think).  You could sorta fix it by moving all the HUMANOID_JOINTS stuff up into the main HUMANOID body plan, where you could connect things in the right order.  However, with that approach, if you cut off someone's head by severing their neck, the severed BP would probably be labeled "X's neck" rather than "X's head."  The game already has issues of this kind -- if you sever someone's "upper arm", the resulting severed part is labeled "upper arm" instead of just "arm."

This brings us to the difficult problem of BP semantics -- there are all sorts of groups and subgroups that people use to describe body parts.  The game needs to know that the neck and head are part of the head group, and that the hand is part of the lower arm, and so on.  So you need something like...

Ack, it's more complicated than I thought.  Figures.  We're derailing pretty badly, so I may post a brainstorming thread once I get a handle on it.

Andeerz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Please do!  That would be awesome!  :D
Pages: 1 2 [3]