Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Has anyone survived a siege?  (Read 5619 times)

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone survived a siege?
« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2010, 05:55:28 am »

i just got raped

40 mounted goblins showed up accompanied by 5 trolls. Some of the gobos flew around on giant cave swallows and shot darts the others made a calvary charge on giant olms, rutherers, cave crocodiles, elk birds, giant toads, and jababas. And the trolls roled in as support.

I had a demon diplomat (a law giver) from one of the human civs in my entrance so i delayed sending in my military to see how he would fair. He got slaughtered. I then sent in my three squads - totalling about 17 warriors, a few got promoted to masters during the battle but only 2 survived and they spent most of time switching their equipment.

This was by far the most epic battle ive ever had. I think im probably going to seal my fort off from the surface as i wont survive another onslaught.
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

random51

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2010, 07:32:42 am »

Goblins will have to learn how to mine before a siege means the end of any fortress I build.

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2010, 08:37:13 am »

my fortress has fallen. 50 goblins (many mounted with crossbows) a demon, and a forgotten beast assualted me. only 6 months after the last siege.
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

Zared

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2010, 10:45:14 am »

I beat a seige, but lost 6 military dwarves.  Combat is absurdly rapid, and I have my fps capped at 30 instead of 100!  The 10 invading goblins, all with crossbows (who says crossbows aren't dangerous anymore!?) rounded the corner in the tunnel into my fort, and crashed headlong into the 30 military dwarves I had stationed there.  It was all over in a couple of seconds, with the full siege beaten, 2 dwarves dead, and the other 4 bleeding to death while carried to the hospital...I thought people carrying them were supposed to try to stop bleeding now?

The strategy is layers!  My Axedwarf squad has for a uniform, leather cloak over metal plate over metal mail, leather trousers over metal greaves over metal leggings, etc.  Also, layers in that when I stationed them there, I stationed the "Ugh I have too many migrants" squad just ahead of the axe squad.  All 6 deaths were from Operation Dwarven Shield.  See, crossbows are deadly in that they cause bleeding out fairly well, but bad at killing instantly, so as the goblin archers rounded the corner and pincushioned them, my Legendary Fighter/Axedwarf commander runs in lopping off heads and limbs left right and center! 

I have a squad of 10 crossbow dwarves, but they categorically refused to train.  I made an archery range and told them to train there, only instead of shooting targets, they sit there and demonstrate their dabbling dodging skill to each other, and even though the squad has 200 bolts assigned to it, their quivers are empty...if, in theory I manage to get them working, I'm building archery towers in front of the entrance, and walls to funnel them into a narrow corridor for better shooting/weapon trapping ;)  I think I built my entrance too close to the edge, though, I may have to wall it off and redesign...I put too much faith in my axe lords chopping anything to ribbons.

Blood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2010, 07:34:37 pm »

Just got my first siege in 2010.  16 crossbowgoblins, including one riding a Giant Cave Swallow.  This should be interesting.

EDIT:  They're just sitting at the edge of the map.  How disappointing.

They're actually engaging in a new feature Toady put in, where they'll spend a few days planning tactics before attacking.
Nope, they just sat around for two seasons, then left.  I wanted to test my war elephants.  :(

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2010, 07:44:37 pm »

First true siege came after some ambushes. Single spear/pikegoblin squad lead by a lasher riding a giant olm.

My military was ready for them. Got them in position, dropped the gate. "Zero" casualties.
I say that because I lost nobody in the initial attack. Quite a few injuries, some severe. Everyone bugged out since I caged some of the pike goblins, and they were causing my military to be spam interrupted, preventing rest. Atom-smashing the goblins fixed it.

Eventually three casualties. Two are bugged out and a dwarf won't recover them, the third tried to crawl to the fort and passed out on a weapon trap. All were only low level recruits.

I worry about the next siege though... trying to get my military geared out in steel armor and it's very slow going without trees. I keep worrying that I will lose my axe-lord.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 07:47:29 pm by Lightning4 »

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2010, 10:02:24 pm »

the only siege I need to worry about at this point is the one from my volcano. no one but the dwarves seem to be able to find my island yet.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]