Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Has anyone survived a siege?  (Read 5624 times)

mrdvant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Has anyone survived a siege?
« on: April 05, 2010, 06:41:18 pm »

Sieges so far seem to mean game over to me. I did just fine with them in 40d, but now the goblins come in, slice through all my layers of steel chain,plate and leather like nothing, and escape with one or two casualties after slaughtering to their heart's content.

LoneJedi7

• Bay Watcher
  • The CaKE is A LIE
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone survived a siege?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 07:09:32 pm »

Sieges so far seem to mean game over to me. I did just fine with them in 40d, but now the goblins come in, slice through all my layers of steel chain,plate and leather like nothing, and escape with one or two casualties after slaughtering to their heart's content.
somebody didnt lay enough traps.  ;D
ℍ!Ξ[/[Θ]![ℍ∑▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀)

Nihilist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 07:26:09 pm »

I've found it really usefull to go though the combat logs to see how your dwarves are getting slaughtered. most of my dead miliatry has come from me thinking I had more iron armor than I really did and having a dwarf try to deflect a iron spear to the chest with a leather tunic :P

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 07:28:07 pm »

Awww, man...  I hope they're not so deadly...  I was looking forward to a real battle for once.

*is in the tiny camp who can work with the new military interface but couldn't do a thing with the old one*
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.

blackmain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 07:42:52 pm »

I have not even been able to survive an ambush :(. My first fortress had 2 master sworddwarves backed by 8 moderate axedwarves and they got slaughtered by 5 goblin pikemen.

Aequor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 07:43:31 pm »

I had one slaughter from an ambush when my Dwarves didn't have any armour and only won through numbers and traps. After that, I stole the Goblin armour (which wasn't narrow for some reason) and since then ambushes and sieges have been easier. Though they're still harder than back in 40d, which is great ;D.
[USE_GOOD_REASON:UNTHINKABLE]

Salabasama

• Bay Watcher
  • Cyber-elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 07:47:51 pm »

I noticed when playing as an adventurer that apparently goblins and dwarves are the same size now.  So, if you manage to wash the ambush in magma, you'll have plenty of armor ready to use.
I keep thinking glacier fortress would be fun, but it always ends up as cave layer fortress.

Ohtar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 08:47:06 pm »

Elves are the same size as both of them- I suspect that this has something to do with how creature size is volume now, and there's no tags for narrow or stout.
"He who fights with monsters should take care lest he become a monster… when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you…"
-Friedrich Nietzsche

Malsqueek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 08:59:10 pm »

I have not even been able to survive an ambush :(. My first fortress had 2 master sworddwarves backed by 8 moderate axedwarves and they got slaughtered by 5 goblin pikemen.

I managed to get to the second ambush, but the first one was one lasher and 9 bow goblins, they killed half my fort, including four mostly armored and skilled swordsdwarves.

The second ambush of 2 pike goblins and 8 bow goblins drove the final nail.

Anyone who says that ranged weapons aren't still scary is LYING.

Mandaril

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2010, 10:14:34 pm »

I survived 3 ambushes \o/ I count the ones what come right after one another as one, since it's only squads I've not discovered yet.

First ambush, my military commander solo kills 5/10 goblins, other 7 military dwarves kill only 1-2 and goblins scatter. 2nd ambush, ~20 goblins, I lose military men, but I manage to kill the goblins once again. My military commander, the hero, has got 13 kills on himself at this point. All goblins. Third ambush. This time I have 20 military dwarves. Goblins attack with around 20 goblins, but this time they have a swordmaster goblin with them. I easily kill all normal goblins, but the swordmaster holds off my 2 squads of dwarves and kills 3 dwarves until one of axedwarves hit swordmasters throat, killing him.

Total casualties in all of the ambushes combined: Somewhere around 30 to 40. That's including civilians. I think I'm doing something wrong. I suspect I'd manage to survive a siege, but it'd require proper equipment, training and tactics. I love it.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 10:20:21 pm by Mandaril »
Oddom Adagsibrek, war Mandrill (Tame)
"He is incredibly skinny yet gigantic overall. His hair is brown. His skin is cinnamon. His upper body bears a very short straight scar. His left front leg bears the marks of old wounds, including a tiny straight scar. His right front foot bears a very short straight scar. His throat bears a massive curving scar. His eyes are orange."

Nagassh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2010, 10:24:35 pm »

I've had a lot of ambushes, first I had to lock up and wait due to my military dwarves being bumbling idiots.

Eventually I'd constructed my lava death trap, tested that and it was... interesting, instead of melting them it flushed them out of the doors and into the volcano /magmasea.

After that I'd managed to get the military partially functioning via telling them to move as oppose to kill, my rangers useless and seems to do no training (despite being assigned an archery range) and spent the ambush 'picking up equipment', the 8 or so axe dwarves performed well though, wiped out 4 ambushes of goblins (at once) with 2 casualties, and one casualty I -think- was due to the melting fat problem.

Highlight of the battle was the one slow dwarf that missed the initial ambushes being attacked by the 4th outside the entrance to the fort, having his ear shot off and his axe disarmed when his hand was mangled. He managed to stay alive long enough for the rest to return, push one goblin into the volcano and butcher all but 1, who fled off the map.

The mangled axe dwarf promptly died after the last goblin disappeared.

I've yet to see a full scale siege, but fairly sure the extents I'm taking to trap my base will be sufficient. The goblins have to get through a row of traps with a ballista looking at them, get over 1 bridge into a magma flood chamber with floodgates stopping them retreating, then over another bridge, then through my military. Both bridges are with drawable and if the floodgates are opened while the magma flood chamber is full it causes waves on the top of the volcano that splash the bridge the goblins will be coming from.

There's more traps in work.

Edit: Bah, things have took a turn for the worse, half the populations just bled to death via fat damage.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 10:46:51 pm by Nagassh »

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2010, 10:47:28 pm »

See, I'm just trying to get my freaking CROSSBOW DWARVES to do ANYTHING >:(
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2010, 11:14:15 pm »

I've found axe dwarves with steel battleaxes to be quite effective. Sword dwarves are also very effective, but less so than axe. On the other hand, hammerdwarves seem far weaker with bronze hammers working better than steel hammers but still being crap compared to axes. Spears also seem kinda on the weak side. The axes just lop goblin parts off left and right. I haven't really tried crossbows much yet, but I guess I might set that up as soon as I get more time to play.

I just played around with crossbows in the arena, and they seem quite effective still. Steel bolts, steel crossbow, grandmaster skills and steel armor. Set against an opponent with the same grandmaster skills, battleaxe, and steel armor + shield. It took quite a few bolts, but they were dropping the battleaxe wielding dwarf every time before they got into range if I started at the max range. With 40 bolts they sometimes ran out of ammo before the dwarf died, but out of 20 tries they didn't once fail to at least injure the dwarf to the point that they could run in and finish them off by bashing with the crossbow.

-edit-  whoops, I actually just realized I had forgotten to give the axe dwarves grandmaster dodging. After doing that the fight shifted into their favor, with them dodging a lot of the bolts. With that change, the axe dwarves managed to close in and beat the crossbow dwarves. 3 on 3 had one axe dwarf go down on approach (they focus fired on him) and the other two get in and whoop the poor crossbow dwarves. It's still useful, though - just put them behind a fortification or something.

I did some more arena tests (hehe, thats a fun mode) and found that crossbow dwarves do very well with axedwarves as cover. I sent in 6 axedwarves vs 3 axedwarves and 3 marksdwarves, and the team with the marksdwarves only lost one axedwarf. Apparently the marksdwarves were able to just fire away at the poor axedwarves on the other team while they were busy trying to fight, because they didnt dodge hardly any bolts and got pincushioned pretty badly. The team with crossbows used all their bolts (supplied 40 each) but beat the axe-only team pretty soundly. By the time all 120 bolts had been fired the 6 axe dwarves on the other team were so bad off that the axe dwarves on the crossbow team finished them off before the crossbow dwarves managed to get close enough to join the melee. The only damage taken by the axe dwarves on the crossbow team happened when the first clash of melee occured, losing 1 dwarf due to being outnumbered, but the bolts evened it up pretty quick and the two remaining were barely injured.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 11:37:46 pm by Paul »
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

dbfuru

• Bay Watcher
  • TRICKINGGG
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube -Videos of my tricking progression-
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2010, 05:32:35 am »

I have 150 so dwarves, and a countess but haven't even had item thieves let alone ambushes or sieges. I'm starting to worry that no goblins survived world gen.. :(

TigerPlushie

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_DRAMA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2010, 06:04:37 am »

Not in 2010, no.

I've managed to attract one siege yet. After (more or less) successfully defeating an ambush, cursing my fashion sense (hoods only are NOT acceptable headwear for soldiers) they stomped in with 15 guys and a leader. My five swordsmen were slaugtered at the entrance, whilst my dwarves hid at the burrow I designated as "safe zone" in the meeting hall.

After releasing them from that hall I witnessed something i'd like to call the entrance dance-off. BOTH the remaining goblin invaders AND the dwarves participated in an entrance dance, approaching the entrance and running back again... after 10 minutes or so I got bored and abandoned the place.

I am still trying to find out why I decided to train swordsdwarves despice the fact that I had a fully functional, perfectly good DEATH WALK built... (you know, an alternate entrance route with a narrow walk with a room behind fortifications from which marksdwarves can shoot)
Dwarf cancelled making adamantium short sword: Strange mood.
Dwarf has entered a marital trance!
Dwarf has claimed a bedroom.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4