Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: My first dragon.. Quite FUN experience.  (Read 1313 times)

Urist McOverlord

• Bay Watcher
  • [Evil_Genius]
    • View Profile
Re: My first dragon.. Quite FUN experience.
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2010, 11:30:21 pm »

My first dragon camped outside my temporary magma workshops. Sent in the champions. Dragon skull is now sitting in my stockpile.
Magma: The cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.

If it moves, it wants to kill you. It may not try to, but it wants to.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2010, 11:32:19 pm »

I had a dragon that ran up to my drawbridge, then dived into my brook. Yes, into the brook. It got stuck there, in the stony-watery layer bit, somehow.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Lawec

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Goblinslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2010, 04:25:13 am »

The only reason the dragon could enter my brook, was that I had channelled down into it, in order to open it up, creating my mist generator.

Tonight, I was haunted by the screams of my burning dwarves  :'(
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

Torpid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2010, 02:24:53 pm »

Got my first dragon yesterday, right when I had a bunch of woodcutting and plant gathering peasants out in the fields working, so I sent them all inside. They all made it, except one... a child.

Fikod was his name. He was literally 4-5 steps from the front gate (which was laced with cage traps) when the dragon got too close and scared him off, then an epic chase ensued. The kid booked it for the river with the dragon hot on his tail. He narrowly avoided the fire breath twice (once by turning around a corner RIGHT when the dragon breathed, I should have taken a screenshot but I'm sure you can imagine what it looked like). Out of the river and into an open field, Fikod kept running. I was really rooting for the little guy, and was thinking of changing his future as a peasant to something more suitable like a mason or squad leader if he happened to survive this encounter. Unfortunately, he didn't. The dragon soon caught up and finished him off in a fiery blaze. After a short break the dragon came for my base and got caught in a cage trap right away.

Was a little disappointed at how it ended, but at least I have the dragon now (he's currently stationed in my barracks for fun), so I'm sure I can do something awesome with him.

Oh, and while the chase was still going on I managed to assign a would-be noble's mausoleum to little Fikod, may he rest in peace. There was also a statue placed out in the field on the tile he died on. I hadn't yet engraved his tomb and when I did I was REALLY hoping for a burning dwarf engrave "relating to the death of Fikod in year whatever" but no dice.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2010, 02:37:36 pm »

Megabeasts are very hit or miss.

My last dragon was strangled to death by a dabbling fisherdwarf who immigrated to the fortress only a few months before.  :(
Pages: 1 [2]