Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: My first dragon.. Quite FUN experience.  (Read 1315 times)

Lawec

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Goblinslayer
    • View Profile
My first dragon.. Quite FUN experience.
« on: March 24, 2010, 02:57:02 pm »

I've built quite many fortresses in my time as a DF-player, but I've only ever met one single megabeast. A titan, whose throat were torn out single handedly by my best warrior.
Anyway. My newest fort had been thriving for some time, being around 80 dwarves... And then the dragon came. "Oh well, better close the bridge and get some cage traps ready."
I did so, and I noticed the lovely dragon did not move at all... Suddenly *A VILE FORCE OF DARKNESS HAS ARRIVED*
"Oh damn." I thought, better build some more cage traps then.
After I was done, I opened my bridge and let the goblins inside. The floors and walls were painted red, and everything was fantastic. But the dragon stayed outside... So I sent out a woodcutter to "lure" her back. But when she began following him, spewing large cones of fire, she did something unexpected. She jumped into the river.
"That's odd" I thought, wouldn't the dragon drown?
And then, the fun began.
Urist McPeasant, Peasant, Cancels eat: Interrupted By Dragon
The dragon had swum down through the river and came up through my combined well/mistgenerator!
And all of sudden all my small bearded friends, were living torches!
I have never been outsmarted that way by a creature before, and I had this years best laugh!
Now, I'll just keep in mind fixing the "holes" I make in a brook, to create a mistgenerator/well  :D
By Armok I love this game.
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

Trigonous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My first dragon.. Quite FUN experience.
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 03:00:30 pm »

Whenever I make a channel/pipe/tunnel from a water source into my fortress, I use grates to keep stuff like that out.

Though usually I'm more worried about carp.
So of all the things you can do in DF, it's the fractal artifacts that make you think dwarves are crazy.

Never mind the magma falls, the atom smashers, the cog-and-axle turing-complete computers, or the colonizing of Hell itself... all those are fine, but man, those recursive artifacts! Where do they get such ideas?

Lawec

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Goblinslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 03:02:19 pm »

I did not even worry about carp or other fish, because I had a brook instead of an actual river ;D
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

Trigonous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 03:07:17 pm »

Oh, if it's a brook he can just walk on it.  Build walls on top of the brook where the breech into your fortress is.
So of all the things you can do in DF, it's the fractal artifacts that make you think dwarves are crazy.

Never mind the magma falls, the atom smashers, the cog-and-axle turing-complete computers, or the colonizing of Hell itself... all those are fine, but man, those recursive artifacts! Where do they get such ideas?

Lummox JR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BYOND
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 04:03:38 pm »

A megabeast can destroy a grate. A carved fortification, not so much. I think that's the safest way to keep them out.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 05:11:57 pm »

The grate/fortification issue is exactly why I will do everything I can to make my plumbing completely inaccessible from the main part of the fortress. I will cut a new hole and make a fortified mini tower on the other side of the map when doing plumbing and power. The only time I'll allow a mix of entries is if most of the passage is completely underwater or goes to my obsidian works where I can dump magma on an interloper.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 05:23:30 pm »

My first dragon came in the season right after my first titan... and both actually shared a tile on the same cage trap that was outside my fort, southwest approach. (Dragons will actually deconstruct the drawbridges that let them access your fort, at which point they basically scratch their heads and wonder why they can't get at the tasty dwarves anymore, and settle on just knocking over my windmills)

I've learned that the best form of defense is liberal application of "remove ramp or up stairs" on mountainsides to channel incoming troops through nice, narrow passages.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 05:30:38 pm »

Dragons are quite Fun in my experience as well. The first time I caught one I built an arena on the bottom level for it that I planned to throw goblins into. Unfortunately I decided to 'secure' the arena with a pair of lead floodgates. I released the dragon, watched it go straight to the floodgates, melt them, and then start climbing up into my fort.

It came out right in the middle of a finished goods stockpile and started a huge fire. Unfortunately a Champion wrestler on my fortress guard simply walked over and strangled it to death. :( That was the last fort I used fortress guards in.

Renault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 08:24:52 pm »

Dwarf's Deep has one weakness: its outer wall is solid rock, but for a small culvert at its base, which is little more than a drain...

Watch for goblins bearing torches and/or -iron gunpowder bin- (5).

CheaterEater

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 09:42:04 pm »

My first dragon was pretty uninteresting. It came into my main entrance and decided to destroy a grate that led down into a magma-catching chamber (for roasting invaders). It died about two seconds later.

I was very sad that there was no Fun involved.

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 10:15:51 pm »

Reminds me of the time that a titan appeared at one of my early fortresses. I thought that everyone was safely sealed inside, but then the titan ran up the channel of my partially completed aqueduct and climbed out of the empty well and right into the middle of my meeting hall. Oops.

atomfullerene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2010, 10:46:57 pm »

Well, at least you got something exciting.  My first (and so far only) dragon hit a stonefall trap and died instantly upon approaching my gate.  I just wanted to soften him up a little for my soldiers!

Renault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2010, 10:54:01 pm »

Mine just sort of ran into a wall of bolts and slumped over. It was a little less dramatic than I'd hoped.
On the plus side, it was the first time I'd really bothered with marksdwarves, and proved they can be worth the effort. I'd always preferred mighty axe and hammerdwarves.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2010, 11:07:56 pm »

Mine just sort of ran into a wall of bolts and slumped over. It was a little less dramatic than I'd hoped.
On the plus side, it was the first time I'd really bothered with marksdwarves, and proved they can be worth the effort. I'd always preferred mighty axe and hammerdwarves.

... You know, many players consider crossbows so overpowered that they refuse to use them...
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Renault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2010, 11:11:57 pm »

I can definitely see that. It's unseemly. I think I'll just stick with my usual walls of muscle and axe from now on.
Pages: [1] 2