Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Your First Siege?  (Read 1554 times)

A-chana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Your First Siege?
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2010, 07:46:16 pm »

My first siege involved goblins uncharacteristically showing up in summer. There were a bunch of marksgoblins against my force of wrestlers, recruits, and a few marksdorfs. No traps or plans or anything, just me purposely sending in dwarves to die. An awesome mismanagement of military resources.

Highlights include a mother dwarf losing her dog, her babies, and her own life, a founder marksdwarf/faux-hammerdorf and a freshly-recruited wrestler gaining their titles, and a third of my fort dying off in the next year from mass rioting (the first to go insane was a maimed dwarf that survived the fight, too!).

There were every few sieges in the fort's time of ten years, but they did have the benefit of becoming increasingly cooler and generally less deadly (for my dwarves, at least).

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2010, 08:04:46 pm »

The first siege I saw was amazingly underwhelming.  They sent a measly 16 Goblins, and every last one was either a novice wrestler or novice swordsman.  They didn't last a week; my elite hammer squad turned them into paste with alarming efficiency and not a single wound on my side.  Hell, they sent a bigger party to ambush me last time.  Ticks me off that their arrival forced the Dwarven caravan to never arrive, though...
Sanity is for the weak.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2010, 09:01:35 pm »

I documented my first siege on a different forum:

"Wohoo! Found that magma pipe... didn't find it until after my first goblin siege, which went very well thank you.  They arrived in the dead of night while a human caravan slept safely in my fortress's walls. By dawn, they were storming over the next hill over. Three of my four crossbow dwarfs had meandered elsewhere, while my four hammerdwarfs readied themselves because I neglected to upgrade them from silver to steel warhammers. Suddenly, a flurry of bolts erupted from the fortifications, slaying half the goblins instantly. It was my female champion/marksdwarf, with a baby in one hand, a shield in the other, and her crossbow in the other, she fended off the goblin siege singehandedly. Out of maybe a dozen goblins, I'd say three got away, but that was pretty nice for just one dwarf on duty xD"
Pages: 1 [2]