Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Your First Siege?  (Read 1556 times)

Huggz

• Bay Watcher
  • Sherlock Wayne
    • View Profile
Your First Siege?
« on: March 07, 2010, 12:36:09 pm »

So, I just had my first goblin siege :D
My fort is an underground 'inverted tower', so I have a wall around the entrance with a bridge going over said wall. However, the bridge is retractable and under it is a pit full of weapon traps :D It is on a pressure plate, which went surprisingly well as I realised too late I had no way of resetting it but it reset itself :P
Behind that I had my 9 hammermen in iron armour, vs. around 20 goblins. Needless to say, no goblins got through :D
So, I have two questions:

1) How did you guys' first sieges go?

2) Are there any other nefarious traps I can create? Preferably as needlessly complicated Fun as possible :D
Proper English will make people take you more serious.
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Your First Siege?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 01:03:52 pm »

My first goblin seige involved them running into my 15 tiles of cage and stonefall traps before breaking and running away, leaving their helpless comrades crying out for rescue as my dwarves scampered back out to claim first dibs on all the shiney new goblinite.

There are plenty of absurd deathtraps, but few things work as well as... just plain traps. 

I'm currently working on a series of drawbridges that will fling invaders into a water-filled pit that I am going to stuff with cave crocodiles and alligators.

Magma traps or magma cannons are common favorites.  This hall of magma just resurfaced recently.

Other favorites are cages that let loose animals, whether dangerous or just humorous, upon release.  Drop bears from above on goblin hordes.  Or go for the humorous, and release the war groundhogs, hoary marmots, and kittens upon them.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Huggz

• Bay Watcher
  • Sherlock Wayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 01:20:32 pm »

Other favorites are cages that let loose animals, whether dangerous or just humorous, upon release.  Drop bears from above on goblin hordes.  Or go for the humorous, and release the war groundhogs, hoary marmots, and kittens upon them.

Thanks for the idea :D
I am going to build a 30x30-ish walled area that has to be traveled through to get to the bridge, make a lever slam the entrances shut and drop in my grizzly bear and war dogs :D
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

RantingRodent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 01:26:09 pm »

I haven't had a full-blown siege yet, but I had a double goblin ambush about the same size as your siege. The defensive emplacements were still under construction at the time, so I was kind of caught with my pants down. Fortunately, my depot was still at ground level and the dwarven caravan was in town. By the time my soldiers arrived on the scene, one of the two ambush groups had been routed by the caravan guards.
Graphical Overhaul 0.31 DFFD | Bundle |  Thread (beta3)
Raw Patcher DFFD  | Thread (1.0)
Graphical Overhaul 40d DFFD | Bundle
ASCII Tileset 40d DFFD  | Thread (2.0)

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 01:30:06 pm »

My first siege happened in my first real fort, which I had planned to abandon (Because the layout was a nightmare(was one of my first forts)) so the besieging force gave me the perfect excuse.

My Second(First REAL) siege were Orc's. I'd installed Dig Deeper. I had 15 dwarf's and no defenses. Needless to say,  there was MUCH Fun to be had.

Around 7 failed fort's later i finally found a strategy to stave off the orc's at small population levels. These day's sieges go well except for the odd little problem's (Ex. Stupid Dwarfs)
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 01:43:44 pm »

1. My first siege:
Disappointment. Only a handful of goblins showed up, a third of 'em died in traps and the rest were killed with incredible ease.
 2. Needlessly complicated trap:
A tower. Build a tower at your entrance, this will act as a second entrance. Pull a lever and everyone will use the tower to enter/exit instead. The tower should be open on the sides so your dwarves can shoot invaders in there as they have to go up ... and then down. This is to attract as many as possible into it, great, now then. Pull a lever and the entire thing collapses! fun times! did some of your dwarves path into it and die along with the goblins? fun times!
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Don Blake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 01:47:40 pm »

My first siege?  Hmm.  One group of goblins, a single Champion wrestler outpaced the wrest of my military and killed all those who did not flee.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 01:52:09 pm »

I made the mistake of having a fun flinging bridge on a pressure plate and fun times were had by all as it reset and came slamming down on my 5 legendary wrestlers that wanted to clean up the wounded. Boom, defenses cut in half.

Bishop36

• Bay Watcher
  • It is known.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2010, 02:02:01 pm »

My first siege was very fun. All I had was one shooter kobold (who was a recruited hunter) with a stack of 80 elephant bone bolts in his quiver. My entrance hall consisted of 2 doors, an 18 tile long, 3 tile wide hallway, and 2 more doors with an arrow slit in the middle at the other end. I left both sets of doors open until all ~25 elves were in between the two, then I locked them both. I stationed my 15+5 legendary shooter kobold at the arrow slit and began to slaughter elves. The entire hall was soaked in blood and not a single elf survived.

I also noticed that the civ has, under exports:vengeance and under Offerings:Terror.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 02:09:14 pm by Bishop36 »
"Things that make noise should never be sold to small children. Only adults can handle that responsibility."

-Justin from Left-Hand Toons

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2010, 03:43:15 pm »

Thanks for the idea :D
I am going to build a 30x30-ish walled area that has to be traveled through to get to the bridge, make a lever slam the entrances shut and drop in my grizzly bear and war dogs :D

Wait, "bear", singular? 

Nonono, bears may be godless killing machines in real life and the Colbert Nation, but in DF, animals are fairly weak unless they are lurking in water compared to anything with iron armor. 

If you want the "entry arena" to work, you'll need to breed animals for this purpose.  Have at least one breeding pair kept in a safe location.  Breeding males can just be dropped (all species) in a 1x1 pit to prevent pathing from eating your FPS.  You'll want to park breeding females in a place where they can't path very much (like chained up in a stall), but you can still have access to their offspring.  You'll probably want to chain up several breeding females, depending on how fast you go through animals, and how annoyed you get by birthing spam.  You can then simply stuff your product animals in cages wherever you need them, near the butcher shop if you want to go that route, or pit them on the retracting drawbridge over your enterance.  (You can also make it a drawbridge that catapults kittens and the like at your enemies from just above your enterance.)

There's no reason to restrict yourself to animals that make logical combatants.  If you make sure that the fighting area is smallish, so that the animals consider themselves "cornered", you can dump all your excess cows and horses (surprisingly good fighters, as they are about as large as black bears) will take on the incoming hordes.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Huggz

• Bay Watcher
  • Sherlock Wayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2010, 05:40:43 pm »

Above guy (Dont want to quote, long post :P):
How can I get breeding pairs of animals? So far I can only seem to get exotic pets from traders, and they only haver one... Can you tame goblins?? Also, I have some Giant Cave Swallows in a chasm near me, I tried putting tunnels into the chasm with traps in them, but no luck... How can I get the swallows to come?

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2010, 05:48:13 pm »

My first seige was in orc mod.

:o
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2010, 05:51:41 pm »

In my first ever seige a single squadron of goblins came. Wrestlers, marksgoblins, and a leading axegoblin. They came to the gates, opened the door and my military said hi. With their fists. They fled after they lost a few men.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Huggz

• Bay Watcher
  • Sherlock Wayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2010, 06:33:24 pm »

:O
My second siege was WAY more awesome than the last :D
I got SIXTY-THREE goblins, including the leader, a legendary hammer-goblin. He got caught in a cage trap, and the rest were shredded by my bridge/weapontrap fall thingies... A few got across, but my Hammerdwarves massacred them. Result: 1 dwarf slightly injured (From a lucky bolt), 45 dead goblins and 7 captured including the Hammer Lord :D

Now I have 2 questions:

1) Now the leader of the local goblins is (effectively) dead, will they still attack?

2) What should I do with said Lord guy? Can I convert him/make him hostile to other goblins?

Nobbins

• Bay Watcher
  • Dustland
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2010, 07:26:45 pm »

Kobolds swarmed the fort, and I was like "Shitshitshitshitshit", and then I watched the carnage. When I actually looked at it, it was all kobold chunks, and I was happy.
Nobbins's Tileset Shoppe
It would mean that once a year, all of your female cats suddenly explode if there are any male cats around.
Pages: [1] 2