Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: i want strong dragons  (Read 833 times)

Uthric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
i want strong dragons
« on: February 14, 2010, 01:16:32 pm »

yea i want  the dragons i get in my for to be really strong, like  it takes at least 30 normal fighters or 10 champs to kill it ( no marks dwarfs there to OP)

and i would like to get them to show up fairly quick like 2nd year quick

i would not mind being able to tame them to

im using the mayday tile set and i would like the dragons to keep there sprite model

i just need to know what to change on them with out Turing them in to a ball of death that nothing can kill

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: i want strong dragons
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 01:30:27 pm »

Making them show up early is going to be difficult, but making them significantly more powerful isn't. Just change the [SIZE:20] tag to something bigger, like 60 or more, and maybe add some [DAMBLOCK] to them.

Megabeasts, unfortunately, are hardcoded to show up only once you have 80 or more population. You could, however, make a new civilization (entity file) that refers to dragons for its race, remove the MEGABEAST tag from the dragons, and have them show up as siegers. You could probably even cannibalize another mod for a functional entity tag without too much difficulty.

For instance, take the orc mod in its entirety, change the [CREATURE:ORC] tag in entity_default to [CREATURE:DRAGON], remove the [MEGABEAST] tag from dragons, and probably give them [CHILD:10] and [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE]. Note that this will make dragons show up, in groups maybe a dozen strong, as early as the first winter. Use caution.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 01:48:36 pm »

Also two tokens make a megabeast awesome.
[NOPAIN] and [NOEXERT]. Without it they die too easy due to pain or tiredness.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Uthric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 02:41:07 pm »

how do i get more than a few dragons to live threw world gen

Julius Clonkus

• Bay Watcher
  • [NIGHTMARE_FETISHIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 03:52:57 pm »

Give the dragons all the tags referring to fire immunity. They don't imply each other and I heard dragons will happily try to swim into your fortress through your magma forging complex. Plus dragons turning each other into flambé with their dragon fire.
[FIREIMMUNE]
[FIREIMMUNE_SUPER]

You could also try adding some 'scales' to the dragon's body. Basically, useless, renundant bodyparts which will lower the propability of harming any real bodyparts since it's completely random what's hit. NOPAIN is a must with that method, or your dragons will break down when you mangle scale #13532 in one of your strikes. Dragons may end up with a long list of scales. So you will want to use some tags which 'hide' the scales so you cannot see them until damaged.

Because, as strong as a megabeast may be, it's propably going to fall to BS deaths when someone luckily lops off the head/seperates upper body from lower body/deals some other instant-fatal injury.
Holy schist, this thread is mica me sick.
DF Players never truly leave.  They just abandon the fortress for a few years and then reclaim.

Uthric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 06:28:37 pm »

so how do i go about adding scales to my dragons?

Julius Clonkus

• Bay Watcher
  • [NIGHTMARE_FETISHIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 07:34:09 pm »

Honestly, I cannot explain it because I don't understand it enough for that. It's better you wait for someone who can explain it. I'm sure you got some experience in raw tinkering, so I'll keep it quite general.

Code: (Add this to body_default.txt) [Select]
[BODY:DRAGONSCALES]
[BP:UBS1:body scale patch][CON:UB][SMALL]
[BP:UBS2:body scale patch][CON:UB][SMALL]
[BP:LBS1:body scale patch][CON:LB][SMALL]
[BP:LBS2:body scale patch][CON:LB][SMALL]
[BP:HDS1:head scale patch][CON:HD][SMALL]
[BP:RAS1:leg scale patch][CON:RA][SMALL][RIGHT]
[BP:RAS2:leg scale patch][CON:RA][SMALL][RIGHT]
[BP:LAS1:leg scale patch][CON:LA][SMALL][LEFT]
[BP:LAS2:leg scale patch][CON:LA][SMALL][LEFT]
[BP:RHS1:foot scale patch][CON:RH][SMALL][RIGHT]
[BP:LHS1:foot scale patch][CON:LH][SMALL][LEFT]
[BP:RLS1:leg scale patch][CON:RL][SMALL][RIGHT]
[BP:RLS2:leg scale patch][CON:RL][SMALL][RIGHT]
[BP:LLS1:leg scale patch][CON:LL][SMALL][LEFT]
[BP:LLS2:leg scale patch][CON:LL][SMALL][LEFT]
[BP:RFS1:foot scale patch][CON:RF][SMALL][RIGHT]
[BP:LFS1:foot scale patch][CON:LF][SMALL][LEFT]

When you go into creature_standard.txt and look for the dragon entry, find this line:
Code: [Select]
[BODY:QUADRUPED:TAIL:2EYES:NOSE:2LUNGS:HEART:GUTS:ORGANS:THROAT:NECK:SPINE:BRAIN:MOUTH]Then you look at the name of the name of the bodypart group, DRAGONSCALES. Add that to the BODY line as following:
Code: [Select]
[BODY:QUADRUPED:DRAGONSCALES:TAIL:2EYES:NOSE:2LUNGS:HEART:GUTS:ORGANS:THROAT:NECK:SPINE:BRAIN:MOUTH]This should add two scale patches to the two parts of the body and the legs, and one to the feet and the head. Remember to add [NOPAIN] or you'll have dragons passing out because you cut off their awesome, new polished dragon scales. Oh, and you'll be able to pinch them in Adventure Mode by wrestling the dragon (dumb side-effect). But honestly, who would wrestle a dragon (twice)?

I'm not sure whether or not you have to regen your world for that.
Holy schist, this thread is mica me sick.
DF Players never truly leave.  They just abandon the fortress for a few years and then reclaim.

Hummingbird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 03:40:29 am »

Try the Age of Heroes mod, which has dragons and all other megabeasts surviving for hundreds of years. And the dragons have [CAN_LEARN], which means that the longer they live, the more dangerous they get  ;)
But Elves aren't Vegetarians. They eat people.
So they are humanitarians.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2010, 11:58:33 am »

If you are having difficulties I recommend you visit www.dwarffortresswiki.net and check out the "creature tokens" page. Read about what the different tags do to the creatures and it should be easy to make ultrabeasts afterward. The suggestions in this thread are enough to give you fearsome dragons but you can always make them even more terrifying :)
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2010, 12:17:16 pm »

I modified the vallilla dragons to this.
Spoiler: dragon raw (click to show/hide)

Seems to make them live a bit longer, in worldgen and they are significantly stronger than vanilla while still having the traits of an organic living creature.  They still have vulnerable organs, but they can't kill themselves by setting themselves on fire anymore(the heatdam points keep them from being hurt by the heat generated).  Flier lets them fly over battlements and defenses.  Though it sometimes turns it's brain off while flying, that just means you have to get yer military outside in open ground and close enough to turn it back on.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2010, 01:09:47 pm »

Note that [FIREIMMUNESUPER] and [FIREIMMUNE] are totally separate flags and most creatures that have SUPER will want to have both... Or else he can breathe fire, set the grass on fire, and then get set on fire by the burning grass.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.