Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]

Author Topic: Pet Peeves  (Read 15271 times)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: Pet Peeves
« Reply #180 on: March 11, 2010, 07:36:44 am »

"Jack, your bedroom was empty!  Empty like your sssooouuulll!"  "I don't like clutter, bitch."  C'mon, that was the funniest part of the whole game.  That and the "Colonel" freaking out at the end.
The ending sequence was ace, but while some comedic effect could be found in the drama I just found too much in my way when I just wanted to sneak around and choke a dude.

At least Kojima actually accepted criticism for once and tightened the laces on MGS3.  I'm sorry dude, I know you're meta and all, but some camera controls and easter-eggs in a 30 minute cutscene does not gameplay make.  Especially when there's more than one 30 minute cutscene in the same chapter.  I don't know what MGS4 is like though, but I heard it backslid a bit.
I'll give you this one, MGS3 is probably the best game in the series until I play the fourth one. But from what I hear MGS4 tries to tie in all the previous games. This happened with Resident Evil before, when somebody makes a kickass game with very little related to the other games(RE4) only to have the next game reference every game(RE5). The result was that the coming together game sucked and the game that tries to have as little as possible related to the series rocked.

Don't get me started on him either.  What.  The.  Fuck.  Goddamn rushed development dumping four boss-fights on one character.
To this I am a little sympathetic to the game. If not for rushed development times they could have added the four or five struts that were removed and pad out the times between the cutscenes.I'm sure if we had a relatively beefy strut between each cutscene I could bare it.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: March 11, 2010, 09:21:19 am »

While it 'seems' that there IS a trend for more shiny over gameplay, I will give the shiny one redeeming feature over the less shiny games: taking a tv and a system to a public lounge, and playing the shiny games for everyone to see will definitely attract a crowd.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: March 11, 2010, 01:06:57 pm »

Why do I have to sometimes shot a dude three times to make him go sleepy?

ALSO

BRIDGES

RAEGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: March 11, 2010, 08:03:13 pm »

One of the problems with nice graphics is that they never get used to the full potential. Games lose that atmosphere because they just throw everything with that dirt brown and gun steel gray. sometime i feel like I look a wrong turn and somehow ended up in Quake 1.

I really hate it when people say "The unwashed masses" or something similar, because in truth they mean "People who don't agree with me"

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: March 11, 2010, 08:50:07 pm »

The unwashed masses usually occur in areas with plumbing issues. For example, my neighbors house, wherein my neighbor somehow managed to take a backhoe to his plumbing line. I'm like a mile away, so it is cool, but seriously bro?
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: March 12, 2010, 12:16:33 am »

actually, those people launch their vehicles up in the air for the sheer fun of it. I'm one of 'em. Sometimes, I get over my latest fortress failure by playing hours of mindless shoot-'em-ups.
One of the best moments in Halo 1 for me was me and my little bro sticking plasma grenades on a warthog and watching it fling itself all over the place in mid air, when one of the explosions sent the warthog flying right at me and (figurativly) took my head off.  Playing shooters as they're intended is quite boring for me, really.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: March 12, 2010, 12:20:07 am »

The most enjoyment I ever got out of Halo 1 was using the Scorpion tanks as ramps for the Warthogs. With a bit of practice, you can do corkscrews and the like.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #187 on: March 12, 2010, 02:12:16 am »

You ought to go to Silent Cartographer and kill a bunch of marines in a single spot, lather rinse repeat a few times, park as many warthogs as you want on top of the leftover grenades.

Now you can just lob a grenade underneath the hog(s) and watch them fly like a field goal over a designated spot (the arch being one of the best); or you can lob a grenade under a hog (towards the back end of it), jump towards the windshield, and as it flies towards you back-end towards, quickly flip it and get catapulted really really high. Bonus points if you survive.

The classic was definitely more worth it than the skulls for the sequels. The fruits of your labor is definitely more worth it than grabbing a convenient skull that adjusts physics a tad.

EDIT:
If I remember correctly, apparently the windshields on warthogs won't hurt you at all, and you can harmlessly go flying; however, the fall may kill you. This is one of the most fun methods to get on top of the level. Which you can also crouch-jump off a Covenant crate to a small dip in a canyon wall as you head towards the main door switch (or the big lid). But that way is more frustrating. However, if you manage to land a warthog atop the level, have fun. More bonus points if all 3 of them.

Been ages since I played the classic Halo, and I still remember that. I wish my XBOX worked and I had some people to play against. The PC version is okay, but meh, not the same feel. Especially when mapping a 360 controller for the PC doesn't line up with the classic controls. A lack of black and white buttons is a bit of a bother, but being unable to L3/R3 on it is even more annoying.

ADDED NOTE:
I got many bonus points (survival from launching from hog to arch, having all 3 hogs on top of the level, landing a 360/720 off the top of a structure. Getting maximum output of nades for launching without hacks, The list goes on. That was my favorite level (especially on Heroic when not launching cars. Not too easy, not too hard; plenty fun.) of the game outside "The Maw" on Legendary.)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 02:30:10 am by Itnetlolor »

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 13, 2010, 08:26:19 pm »

New pet peeve.  Playing a long, very involved yet enjoyable online PvP game then suddenly the entire world needs to call, talk, or argue with me.

Jervous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 13, 2010, 08:38:31 pm »

I have a lot of Pet Peeves..probably the worst one I have though is when people Talk Like This All The Time. It Gets Really Annoying For Me.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: March 14, 2010, 11:49:36 pm »

Really? Is It As Annoying As When Those aNnOyInG cHeErLeAdEr tYpEs tAlK lIkE tHiSsSsSs? jajajaja
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: March 15, 2010, 02:17:47 am »

I AM DISPLEASED WHEN TINY-BABIES DO NOT FIGHT ME LIKE MEN.

MY FEESTS, THEY ARE MADE OF STEEL!

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: March 15, 2010, 02:23:53 am »

Heavy Weapons guy is awesome.

Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: March 15, 2010, 10:13:06 am »

Heavy Weapons guy is awesome.
No, Heavy Weapons guy got blood on my suit.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]