Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Helping new DF players with a unified guide  (Read 1829 times)

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
Re: Helping new DF players with a unified guide
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2010, 09:26:17 am »

Version two is up. To make things easier, everything that is new is highlighted. We're making great progress on the outline, and I think we'll be ready to move on to writing soon.

I went through the posts one at a time and added to it, fleshing it out as I went. I included notes for all of the suggestions and a few more (things from the new version and so forth) which I had forgotten the first time.

There is an area in bold specifically asking for help, and of course all other comments and corrections are appreciated.

http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AfoBcbukFaehZGdrNzlqcnNfMWR2d2czd2dk&hl=en

Edit: note on things I left out, so I don't forget.
Stocks menu, all z-menus, menu description organized as suggested by Beanchubbs.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 09:37:16 am by The Architect »
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

SugaSuga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2010, 11:01:14 am »

For new players, at least for me, the dig command and how you can make your fortress ANY way and ANY where. It took me a while to wrap my head around just how free I was.

Danjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2010, 11:16:21 am »

Haven't had time to read the suggestions yet, but here's what I would add:

Include a basic section and an advanced section. The basic section covers just that, the basics. Digging, constructions, how to set up a farm, gather lumber, and make booze and beds. Once those are taken care of, move on to slightly more difficult tasks, such as crafting, keeping your dwarves happy, strange moods, and trading. Finally, have the advanced section cover things such as mechanics, military, and the economy (and making soap and cheese :P).
Quote from: mrbobbyg
Hey, I'm cool with you tying a dog up and shooting it with a ballista if you're short on elves, but there's not need to lie about it to us.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2010, 02:49:10 pm »

It would help if you read the outline, which has digging and goes from basic to advanced. That's really the point of this: to organize the information in a way that players don't just have to read everything they can get their hands on right away in an attempt to understand and survive; that they will learn everything they need to know starting with the simple and essential and ending with the advanced and esoteric.

I'll add lumber gathering and cheese and soap production; those aren't listed. Mineral gathering, smelting and smithing should be added as well.

Please continue with the suggestions, and soon if anyone wants they can write and/or proofread sections. If no one wants to do the writing I'll do it myself, and try to keep it simple for non-native English speakers.
The sigs topic:

Gara-nis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2010, 05:14:33 pm »

Yeah, I agree with the two-part motif, sort of a "Quick start" guide and the "everything" guide.

Quick start should be enough to get a fortress up and running without everyone going all lord of the flies.

Advanced should be enough to go all the way/build the pyramids.

I hate to be kind of a douche here, but shouldn't this wait until the new version is out? Some things will definitely change a lot, like the military... I suppose the things that won't change could be included...

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2010, 09:09:03 pm »

Nah, you're not "being a douche" or anything. Any work done now is good, and most of it will not change. If you read the recent update you'll see that things which will change are specifically noted. Things that we can't fill in yet are also in their proper place, such as burrows, underground exploration, and protecting from [MISCHEVIOUS] creatures.

Under the military and training section, for instance, it says:
"•   Recruiting, training and commanding a military
      o   This area will likely be put on hold for the new version, when it will change completely."

This is a useful endeavor for the old version and the new, and even if 5% of what we do changes it won't ruin our work.
The sigs topic:

Danjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2010, 10:08:00 pm »

I can proofread it when it's done, as well as reword things for clarity and make it follow a consistent style, if needed.
Quote from: mrbobbyg
Hey, I'm cool with you tying a dog up and shooting it with a ballista if you're short on elves, but there's not need to lie about it to us.

Darkond2100

• Bay Watcher
  • Intrepid Groundhog
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2010, 01:56:03 am »

In the beginning the wiki made ramps very simple to me. But it destroyed what little understanding I could have gotten of constructing stairs. I had to figure it out by myself, on accident. I'll never use another ramp again.
your hoard, your dwarves, and your fortress.
I prefer Hoard, Horde, and Hovel...

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2010, 11:37:05 am »

I can proofread it when it's done, as well as reword things for clarity and make it follow a consistent style, if needed.

Thanks, that would be appreciated. I was hoping we could have several writers and I'd be an editor more than anything else, but it doesn't look like most people are interested in investing that kind of time. It's sensible for me to start writing, since I'm sick at home with some nasty combo involving antibiotic-resistant tonsillitis (going to the doctor again today; haven't gotten a clear diagnosis yet).
The sigs topic:
Pages: 1 [2]