Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Tin Soldiers  (Read 2009 times)

Heliopios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tin Soldiers
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2007, 11:08:00 am »

It'd also need a new tag, like [BREAKSDOWN], or [MAINTENANCE], along with all the normal super power tags, [NOAPIN],  [NOFEAR], [NOBLOOD], [NOTHOUGHT], [NOEXERT], etc.

herrbdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2007, 11:59:00 am »

How about *only* as artifacts, then you get another citizen in your fortress. One dwarf creates a 'friend', so to speak. Then he is a member of your fortress, and can be given jobs, etc. The idea of artifact golems (i dun like that word for it...) would be kept rare, and it could be another (though unreliable) way to get more population, and a badass one at that!

I was kinda thinking of Marvin the Depressed Robot...

[ April 07, 2007: Message edited by: herrbdog ]

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2007, 12:52:00 pm »

Well the artifact idea works almost the same as mine exept that it requires some luck to get.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2007, 03:42:00 pm »

I definitely like the idea of artifact golems.  To add more flair... you'd need a philosopher noble around to get one.  The philosopher wouldn't make the golem, but the moody dwarf on a binge will ask for "Names of god", which he can only get if the Philosopher is around.  Of course, dwarves will only TRY to make golems once the philosopher's conditions for arrival are met.  But if you drowned him, or he got eaten by an elephant or demon or whatever, no golem for you.

BikingBear

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2007, 09:20:00 am »

How about making a dwarven brain a part of the build list for an automaton?
That way you could only have as many automatons as you have dead dwarves.
ear of death is the beginning of slavery - NON SERVIAM

herrbdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2007, 10:24:00 am »

Interesting, then perhaps they would have the skills of the dead dwarf? But they could not learn more. That way, as long as you had the corpse, you could bring back that awesome dwarf. And, of course, they wouldn't have emotions, so they wouldn't go nuts when their masterpieces were destroyed... Hmmm... Fey dwarf, drown, make automaton...

RoboDwarf?

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2007, 12:34:00 pm »

That would step on the toes of necromancy down the line, and encourage people to kill dwarves, which goes against the game, in my estimation.

BikingBear

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2007, 09:25:00 am »

To counter players killing off their legendary dwarves and turning them into legendary golems how about reducing skills relative to the material used to make the golem?
So a brass golem would maybe take a 50% skill nerf, a 50% speed hit and a 50% increase in toughness. An adamantine golem would maybe have a 10% drop in skills and speed and a 90% increase in toughness. Also maybe restrict a golem to manufacturing basic goods or making the goods to a quality based on the golem material. Thus making it impossible for a golem to make masterpieces.
ear of death is the beginning of slavery - NON SERVIAM

Marsume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2007, 08:55:00 am »

Yea well maybe not so much magic involved, but instead mainly mechanics. It would require near legendary ability otherwise it goes mad. Perhaps builder ability reduces chances of it going insane. It cannot work, only chug around the fort beating unfortunate monsters much as the system for war animals is used.

Gigalith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • O and H Books
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2007, 11:21:00 am »

Perhaps instead of making all-purpose automata,  they would just do one thing. For example, you could make a metal distiller which would only distill. To further balance it out, an automata could be permanently fixed at some skill level. So your automatic beer machine might work good in the early game, when you don't have highly skilled brewers. Later on, when you have a legendary or two, it might be time to "retire" it.

Personally, I'd think I'd like to see machines more often than having them be artifact only. But this could be tied into world gen, i. e. one world might have very rare machines while another could be Steampunk.

Check out my books at O and H Books

TotalPigeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2007, 01:04:00 pm »

Yes, if something like this is introduced into the game, it would be best if it was optional. Init.txt is going to have a lot of options by the end...

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2007, 10:07:00 pm »

Well, if you've read the "distant future" plans, you'd know that different planes with different laws of physics are intended, as well as interplanar contact and travel via powerful magic.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2007, 11:42:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Gigalith:
<STRONG>Personally, I'd think I'd like to see machines more often than having them be artifact only. But this could be tied into world gen, i. e. one world might have very rare machines while another could be Steampunk.</STRONG>

I'd like to see things like workshop sized waterwheels, steam power and clockwork things hooked up to gears and pullys.

Pages: 1 [2]