Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Titanium?  (Read 1104 times)

Dwarf titan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Titanium?
« on: January 04, 2010, 11:01:10 am »

Hi, I've been playing Dwarf Fortress for quite a while now and have recently gotten into modding the game so I can do some of the basic stuff. Anyway, I was just thinking about adding titanium to the game and I was wondering if anyone thinks if its a good idea and if so what should it do.

Here is the link to the wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Titanium?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 11:03:49 am »

Dig Deeper already involves titanium, and I thought there was another mod that did as well... but I can't find it.

Dwarf titan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 11:06:16 am »

Thanks.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 03:27:24 pm »

If you like realism, then no adding titanium is not a good idea as the dwarves do not have the level of knowledge or technology to make use of it.

If you want a metal that bridges the gap between steel and adamantine, then sure go ahead.

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 12:05:11 am »

as far as I know any material that isnt one of the hardcoded types will only have 50% damage, so if you are trying to make a titanium axe with 250% instead of 133% or 500%, you will not be able to.
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 12:08:12 am »

as far as I know any material that isnt one of the hardcoded types will only have 50% damage, so if you are trying to make a titanium axe with 250% instead of 133% or 500%, you will not be able to.
The metals aren't hardcoded. Their effectiveness is in the raws, and in fact their effectiveness as armor and their effectiveness as weapons are both seperate values, so you can have a material that is, say, 300% effective as vanilla iron when used to make a weapon but only 75% effective when used to make armor.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!