Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ecstatic Spartan Dwarves...  (Read 1617 times)

Elvang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ecstatic Spartan Dwarves...
« on: December 20, 2009, 08:46:16 pm »

Was checking why one of my dwarves was still ecstatic after tossing all his masterwork stuff by accident in Dwarf Therapist, when I noticed nearly a 1/4th of my population is over the 1000 mark for mood, 2/3rd above 500, and the rest generally above 200. Bit strange considering that what I built during the first year is all they've had for 12 years now while I dig out where my subterranean magma fort is going.

I can't imagine how high their mood will get once my fort is finished, mist generator filled zoo and all.
The Practicalities of Fire Imp Defense
Tileset fonts for dfterm/telnet
Win 0.34.11 SDL with 7 binary patched bugfixes
Quote from: They Dig
I have come here to drink booze and breach HFS... and I'm all out of booze.

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ecstatic Spartan Dwarves...
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 10:24:19 pm »

Wonder what'll happen when one dies.
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.

alphawolf29

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 11:08:06 pm »

Wonder what'll happen when one dies.

FOR SPAAAAAAAAARTAAA

Amalgam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 11:15:18 pm »

Watch out, if they get too happy they'll wrap right around to pure agony!

Elvang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 11:24:28 pm »

I wonder how many bytes mood takes up, would be awesome to experience an overflow.
"Urist McEcstatic cancels admire own fine loincloth: Tantrumming"
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 11:32:01 pm by Elvang »

Danjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009, 11:30:41 pm »

I wonder how many bytes mood takes up, would be awesome to experience an overflow. "Urist McEcstatic cancels admire own fine loincloth: Tantrumming"
I was thinking more of: "Urist McEcstatic cancels job: Too happy".
Quote from: mrbobbyg
Hey, I'm cool with you tying a dog up and shooting it with a ballista if you're short on elves, but there's not need to lie about it to us.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2009, 11:34:22 pm »

What the...?

This is madness. Seriously, I treat MY dwarves like that and THEY get all pissy about it. And yes, ecstasy overflow = Fun. Or maybe ecstasy overdose. Whatever it is.

Amalgam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 12:00:48 am »

With a little bit of memory hacking you could set all their happiness values just a little below the amount required to cause an overflow, if they got too happy they would end up being absolutely miserable, if they experienced too much tragedy after that it would underflow and they'd go straight back to ecstatic, effectively creating bi-polar dwarves.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 12:10:35 am »

I'm pretty sure Toady had enough sense to code in limiters.  I know he did for unhappiness: no Dwarf can ever go below 0 happiness, it just pegs it back at 0.  Though they seem to have a hidden "reserve happiness/unhappiness" score too: I had a Dwarf once whose beloved masterpiece bucket got melted, and he stayed at 0 happiness for quite a while afterwards even as he got lots of happiness boosts from his legendary dining arrangements, fine bedroom, and excellent meals.

Also, I noticed that there's mechanics in place to prevent any Dwarf from getting too happy: any Dwarf above 100 happiness gets their happiness decreased at season shifts.  By how much depends on how happy they are, of course.  A Dwarf with 2000 happiness will lose a heck of a lot more at the season shift than one who's at 125.  You'd have to provide a LOT of creature comforts and constant mood-boosters to keep a Dwarf perpetually gaining in happiness as a result.
Sanity is for the weak.

Elvang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2009, 12:22:54 am »

My understanding was that +/-'s to mood last as long as the thought does (a couple seasons IIRC), though that may be outdated. I think that is
Quote from: this
Also, I noticed that there's mechanics in place to prevent any Dwarf from getting too happy: any Dwarf above 100 happiness gets their happiness decreased at season shifts.
Would account for a Dwarf losing more mood each season as they'd be experiencing a larger number of +s, which means the number they lose also increases. Do dwarf's have a default mood value? Never really checked for a just embarked dwarf, if they are even thought free at that point.

EDIT:From the wiki page on thought, though its quite old.
Spoiler: Mechanics (click to show/hide)
All the values are listed as well for thoughts, though they must be outdated as most of the +/-'s are around 10-30 points, considering the heights my dwarves' moods are reaching (None of my dwarves currently in the top 3 for mood have an artifact related thought). Or the mechanics have changed a bit since the page was updated.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 12:32:02 am by Elvang »

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2009, 01:23:03 am »

I'm pretty sure Toady had enough sense to code in limiters.  I know he did for unhappiness: no Dwarf can ever go below 0 happiness, it just pegs it back at 0.  Though they seem to have a hidden "reserve happiness/unhappiness" score too: I had a Dwarf once whose beloved masterpiece bucket got melted, and he stayed at 0 happiness for quite a while afterwards even as he got lots of happiness boosts from his legendary dining arrangements, fine bedroom, and excellent meals.

Also, I noticed that there's mechanics in place to prevent any Dwarf from getting too happy: any Dwarf above 100 happiness gets their happiness decreased at season shifts.  By how much depends on how happy they are, of course.  A Dwarf with 2000 happiness will lose a heck of a lot more at the season shift than one who's at 125.  You'd have to provide a LOT of creature comforts and constant mood-boosters to keep a Dwarf perpetually gaining in happiness as a result.

Happiness is calculated based on thoughts. Since the "art defacement" unhappy thought was still in his mind, the sum total of his happiness was lower than 0. The game locks it at 0, so even though his unhappy thoughts had him at, say, -432 his functional happiness was 0.

My guess about your dwarves happiness is the bedrooms. In my experience, it takes one hell of a dining room to make dwarves ecstatic when they sleep in a barracks. Remove the dining room and take away the meeting zones but designate each bed in the barracks as a 1x1 bedroom and they'll be ecstatic inside of half a year. It's about as broken as stonecrafting - there are other mechanics that do the same thing better, but it's still busted.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2009, 01:26:35 am »

I think the mechanics must have changed at some point.  Either that, or every single time a military Dwarf does anything military-related (including every single sparring action) results in a new happy thought.  My off-duty military Dwarves often have their happiness listed at about 2500 at any given time.

Also, the default happiness seems to be 100.  The founders start at that (though it quickly gets shifted within the first half-step of gameplay), and all migrants arrive at 100 happiness.
Sanity is for the weak.