Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How big can my embarks be with my new comp?  (Read 1742 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: How big can my embarks be with my new comp?
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2009, 04:53:09 pm »

Computers don't get slower; programs do,
Computers DO get slower if you don't run regular maint on them. Defrag, regclean, uninstall worthless crap like Yahoo Toolbars, spyware scan, etc.
Worthless crap and stuff crowding HDD which requires defrag is Software, it has nothing to do with hardware. And yes, anybody does it once per month or two, so probably there's an issue with a windows installation.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2009, 10:09:28 pm »

Not so much of a mystery actually. The processor is literally melting. The fan is running as fast as it can and I still get 'CPU OVER TEMP' error in bootup
So your heatsink is broken. Dust it, and if that doesn't work, replace it.

There's still no need to replace the whole system.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2009, 10:21:11 pm »

So your heatsink is broken. Dust it, and if that doesn't work, replace it.

There's still no need to replace the whole system.

If it's four years old, as he said, it's possible he's been meaning to get a new computer for a bit now and this just gave him a justifiable reason.
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2009, 10:54:13 pm »

Seeing as we are allready discussing this... does anyone know how well an AMD phenom II X4 965 (a 3.4gHz quad core) would run DF?

I recentelly ordered a set of parts including this, but ordering the cheapest prices you can find means waiting quite some time for it to arrive (plus there are some annoyances with the graphics card I want not being in available at multiple companies).

So all in all it will probably be a few weeks before I get the whole set running properly. And I want to know now! :P

Its kind of funny though, ordering a state of the art machine and wondering so much how well DF would run.

Strange. The memory specs (4 gb of DDR3, seriously ? I checked an online store and I can't find that at less than 130 $. Then again, it might be different where you live) seems extremely high compared to the rest of the stuff.
Check for newegg, if you live in the US. I saw a set of 4GB DDR3 ram at some 1600hz there for some $80.

Unless your looking for laptop memory. Then I wouldnt know.

Would have ordered those if it wasnt for the fact that newegg is an American company, and I dont live in America. Its a total bummer when buying computers, european prices are about the same as the US ones, only the prices are in euros. And 1 euro is about 1.45 dollars. Best I managed to get now was 4GB of 2000hz memory for some 120 euros.

Also, buying a new computer is no reason to burn out your old one. You can allways resell it or just give to someone who doesnt have any high demands for a computer.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2009, 12:44:36 am »

A dusty heatsink can make one's fan go constantly, and noisily?

'Cause my computer is pretty bloody loud, despite multiple fan-cleanings, and I don't know what's wrong with it.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2009, 06:22:54 am »

'Cause my computer is pretty bloody loud, despite multiple fan-cleanings, and I don't know what's wrong with it.

Cheap fans and old fans are noisy. Get a new one and it'll be quiet again :)

Dusty heatsink shouldn't make the fan noisy but as dust insulates heat it might run hotter and so make it go constantly. Compressed air spray is the best way to undust a heatsink I think.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2009, 07:21:35 am »

Cheap fans and old fans are noisy. Get a new one and it'll be quiet again :)

Dusty heatsink shouldn't make the fan noisy but as dust insulates heat it might run hotter and so make it go constantly. Compressed air spray is the best way to undust a heatsink I think.

Cheap OR old fans. They don't have to be both to be noisy.

I used to have a pc I used as a fileserver in my bedroom. As it was too old to support dynamic cpu frequency scaling (so the cpus always ran flat out) or dynamic fan speed (so so did the fans), and had two >100W CPUs (meaning it had to shift a LOT of air to keep them from melting), I quickly leant a lot about quieting a system.

The noisiest fan is normally the northbridge, replacing with a larger passive chipset heatsink did wonders. Zalman make a good small one, and if you have difficulty getting it to stay on with the clips (older fatter ceramic chips ftw) you can always use some thermal epoxy.
CPU heatsinks with a vertical fan, positioned to blow the hot air out the back of the case make a world of difference to temperatures.
Akasa "Amber Series" "Ultra Quiet" case fans really are very quiet.

It's still going strong now.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2009, 10:15:58 am »

Grimlocke:

Since DF is (almost) single-threaded, a quad-core CPU won't give you any boost over a dual-core one.

A dual-core would, however, give - maybe - five to ten percent over a single-core, through moving other OS services to the other core. Well, that's on linux; windows' CPU scheduler sucks with great suckiness, and you'd need to pin DF to one core while pinning everything else to the other to get full speed.

Tofu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2009, 10:50:36 am »

Grimlocke:

Since DF is (almost) single-threaded, a quad-core CPU won't give you any boost over a dual-core one.

A dual-core would, however, give - maybe - five to ten percent over a single-core, through moving other OS services to the other core. Well, that's on linux; windows' CPU scheduler sucks with great suckiness, and you'd need to pin DF to one core while pinning everything else to the other to get full speed.

Yeah I suppose that's true, since it does suck bawls. Probably some kind of utility you can download to do it easier or something, but I don't know.

Looking at the speeds some of you get,and those are pretty awesome, it's starting to baffle me how strange my cpu apparently is.
I have a intel q9550 quad core, overclocked to 3.4 or something, and at a 6x7 embark(or similiar) I get about 50 fps, with 180 dwarves,(not capped) for 12 years....this seems kind of abnormal.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2009, 11:06:38 am »

This seems ok for me. 50 fps on 6x7 with 180 dwarves is good.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2009, 01:51:09 pm »

There's lots of variables here people aren't mentioning either. Flowing water and amount of animals hit you fps big, as well as if you've done init edits to the base game, which can give some systems :D massive boosts in performance.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2009, 05:58:39 pm »

For that matter, have you tried 40d16?
Pages: 1 [2]