Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How big can my embarks be with my new comp?  (Read 1747 times)

theRoastmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How big can my embarks be with my new comp?
« on: December 04, 2009, 01:12:37 am »

My current comp is 4 years old and melting(a month ago it could run 4x4 with 80 dwarves at 30fps, now a flat 3x3 with 40 is chugging) so its time for a new comp. Here's what I ordered(laptop)

Intel Core 2 Duo processor T6600 (2.20GHz 800MHz 2MBL2)
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
nVidia Geforce GT 240M graphic card with 1GB memory
15.6 HD WLED Glossy, 1366*768 with 1.3M integrated Camera
4 GB PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM 1066MHz SODIMM Memory (4 Dimms)
320GB Hard Disk Drive, 5400rpm

How big an embark/population will this run? Will I be able at last to afford to embark with features other than a single magma pool? Perhaps even an embark large enough to sustain metalworking for more than 6 years?

FluffyToast J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How big can my embarks be with my new comp?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 01:15:35 am »

You could always just wait and see.

But still. My old crappy Dell Inspiron 6400 can run 6x6 with running water for about 2 years before going below 60fps. Yours will probably do better.

Asmodeous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 01:19:20 am »

I'm running an Alienware Aurora with an i7 920 and 6GB of RAM on Win7, and I can run 8x8 for ~4 years before it drops to 60fps, and even at that point it generally runs at around 80fps unless there's a war, a caravan, or a dump order of a hojillion chunks of rock (I'm a tad OCD about not having rock everywhere).

On a 10x10 I can run ~2 years before the same.

I have my dwarf cap at 140.

Edit: With the setup you have I would judge you'd be able to do 6x6 or 8x8 for about the same amount of time without a difference with a lower dwarf cap, like 80 or so.
(There is a story behind this. . .)

This is an Alder Omelette. All craftsdwarfship is of highest quality. It is encircled with bands of cheese. It menaces with spikes of bacon, ham, and peppers. On the object is an image of dwarves in egg white. The dwarves are eating.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 08:53:09 am »

Your processor isn't too great for DF. Even my 3200+ Athlon XP would work better, but everything else is pretty OK. I don't think that DF needs more than 500-700 Mb RAM itself.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Asmodeous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 09:18:01 am »

Actually, his T6600 has a higher clockspeed than your 3200+. It's 2.2gHz vs. the 2.0 gHz of your Athlon 64.

Cycle for cycle, the Core2 Duo will outpace the Athlon64, and that really seems to be the crux of what DF cares about.

Now, granted, that's only the case if he's got the laptop plugged into power. If it's running on the battery you are correct, it will run like crap.

Me.

This is an Alder Omelette. All craftsdwarfship is of highest quality. It is encircled with bands of cheese. It menaces with spikes of bacon, ham, and peppers. On the object is an image of dwarves in egg white. The dwarves are eating.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 09:26:06 am »

Intel Core 2 Duo processor T6600 (2.20GHz 800MHz 2MBL2)

Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit

First off a laptop using a T6600 isn't very fast (especially if you play without the mains in as Asmodeous mentioned), on top of that you running a 32bit app in a 64bit environment. Won't be a big difference but will be slightly slower.

I'd say you won't have problems on a 6x6 until your getting towards the 100 dwarf mark. of course it depends on water/magma and other wild life too.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 12:10:09 pm »

And I meant to say even if it's a bit better than mine, my comp gets pretty laggy on 5x5 with flowing water projects, thus don't raise your hopes too high.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 03:06:36 pm »

Actually, his T6600 has a higher clockspeed than your 3200+. It's 2.2gHz vs. the 2.0 gHz of your Athlon 64.

Cycle for cycle, the Core2 Duo will outpace the Athlon64, and that really seems to be the crux of what DF cares about.

Now, granted, that's only the case if he's got the laptop plugged into power. If it's running on the battery you are correct, it will run like crap.

Me.

It depends.
Faster clock, even on single core, does not equate to better performance.
For Dwarf Fortress, which, given the sheer amount of stuffs it need to "calculate", probably depends on memory bandwidth a lot (in addition to processor speed).
On my previous PC, I tried running DF as fast as possible, my CPU wasn't maxed out, which imply that it's choking on my memory bandwidth (it was a really old PC).
In short, look at your processor utilization.  If running DF does not push it to 90%+, you're probably bottlenecked on bandwidth.
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

PencilinHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2009, 04:03:28 pm »

Your processor isn't too great for DF. Even my 3200+ Athlon XP would work better, but everything else is pretty OK. I don't think that DF needs more than 500-700 Mb RAM itself.

Me.

Forgive me but you have unintentionally struck on a pet peeve of mine.

Athlon XP != Athlon 64 !

Google the difference.

Sorry for the derailment.

Buddybud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2009, 08:16:22 pm »

just a little input.

another issue to consider learning about is setting up your computer optimally. The default install of windows leaves much to be desired. Learning about which services can be disabled, alone will give you a huge performance boost. The average person could turn off about 50% or more of the background services in windows and not notice a thing. Also disabling antivirus (if not networked) or simply removing startup programs and or reducing os graphical eyecandy can also make a HUGE difference. This all depends on your unique situation and requires a bit of learning...but if you can't afford the best you might as well learn how to get the most out of whatever you end up with.

anyways just thought i'd add that...hope it's useful for someone if your already aware of this!! :P

Bud

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2009, 08:14:30 am »

Strange. The memory specs (4 gb of DDR3, seriously ? I checked an online store and I can't find that at less than 130 $. Then again, it might be different where you live) seems extremely high compared to the rest of the stuff.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2009, 08:29:07 am »

I'm surprised nobody pointed out the real WTF here.

The OP states that, a month ago, it could run DF on a 4x4 pretty speedily, and now it's slow on a 3x3.

Well, it just doesn't work like that. Computers don't get slower; programs do, but DF hasn't been updated. So if it's slower now, that means some of the software in his system is broken.

Simply reinstalling windows (from scratch, not as an "upgrade") will probably fix it.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2009, 08:34:13 am »

Strange. The memory specs (4 gb of DDR3, seriously ? I checked an online store and I can't find that at less than 130 $. Then again, it might be different where you live) seems extremely high compared to the rest of the stuff.

he said 4dimms, I commonly see 4gb or ddr3 in two dimms for laptops these days, a single 4gb  chip costs at lot though yes (actually I've not seen a 4 dimm laptop before)
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Asmodeous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2009, 10:37:18 am »

I'm surprised nobody pointed out the real WTF here.

The OP states that, a month ago, it could run DF on a 4x4 pretty speedily, and now it's slow on a 3x3.

Well, it just doesn't work like that. Computers don't get slower; programs do, but DF hasn't been updated. So if it's slower now, that means some of the software in his system is broken.

Simply reinstalling windows (from scratch, not as an "upgrade") will probably fix it.

Computers DO get slower if you don't run regular maint on them. Defrag, regclean, uninstall worthless crap like Yahoo Toolbars, spyware scan, etc.

Sure sure, the clockspeed is still the same, and the number crunching, but the end result is your computer is doing EVERYTHING slower.

As for the XP v 64 debate, that's a silly thing to have a pet peeve over, I realize there's a difference, I misread what he said, get over it? :)

That's like freaking out because someone typo'd "E6600" in response instead of "T6600". Sheesh.

Me.

theRoastmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2009, 04:34:22 pm »

Not so much of a mystery actually. The processor is literally melting. The fan is running as fast as it can and I still get 'CPU OVER TEMP' error in bootup
Pages: [1] 2