Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Keep generating after player intrusion.  (Read 1996 times)

Servu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Keep generating after player intrusion.
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2009, 10:44:16 am »

You could gen the world forward by using embark anywhere to embark on a mountaintop where no caravans can access, turn invasions off, then change the raws so that your dwarves don't need to eat or drink. Leave the game on for a night and - assuming you got a powerful enough computer - you might be able skip a couple of years that way. (I would recommend of killing off all female dorfs at the beginning, so no childbirths interrupt the process)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2009, 02:42:44 pm »

While going on town-to-town rampages, I've found art of myself kicking ass.
With a word "Wanted" below? :D

You can get quests to kill one of your adventurers if they happened to be a murderous bastard.
Due to a glich I actually got the quest to kill myself. I was in a hostile civ and no one attacked me, so I found the major and asked for a quest. He told me to kill myself and then as soon as I ended the conversation he started to attack me. It was a bit odd

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2009, 04:11:44 pm »

You could gen the world forward by using embark anywhere to embark on a mountaintop where no caravans can access, turn invasions off, then change the raws so that your dwarves don't need to eat or drink. Leave the game on for a night and - assuming you got a powerful enough computer - you might be able skip a couple of years that way. (I would recommend of killing off all female dorfs at the beginning, so no childbirths interrupt the process)

You could get dtil and use unpause as well just in case.

Also, it might be fun to get the beginnings of a fort going and then leave it alone to see how long it runs automated as entertainment on the side.

By the way, does that work? I've never seen history advance in fortress mode other than by my killing of the local leaders and diplomats of nearby forts.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2009, 08:12:36 pm »

darkflagrance, it's been bugging me, what the hell is your avatar? I've seen something new every time I look.

Servu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2009, 07:42:43 am »

darkflagrance, it's been bugging me, what the hell is your avatar? I've seen something new every time I look.
Seconded. Every time I look a it the first thing that comes to mind is Dr.Zoidberg flipping over while wearing a sock on his head.

Back on topic: I saw history advance in fortress mode a while back. I was playing with a dorf civ that had no cities/towns when I started the game (Six powerful elf civs... nuff said.) but after playing a fort for about 10 years and abandoning a new town had popped up by the civ. I even checked at legends and there was a mention of a new town being founded during the fortress mode.

Later when I visited the new town with an adventurer, I found it be quite a weird place: There were giant eagles flying all around the place and the only dwarf I saw there was a lone peasant standing near the bodies of other dwarves (they probably had died to the eagles)

PsychoBuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2009, 10:13:47 am »

Seconded. Every time I look a it the first thing that comes to mind is Dr.Zoidberg flipping over while wearing a sock on his head.

I always saw it as an anthro bird with a cap over it wearing a iron cap and charging at something with its head turned 180 degree from its front.
Nice avatar btw.

If I could generate and play independently, oh the legends I could create. I would be happy if a fort didn't disperse every time I abandoned it( letting the former inhabitants wander around.) I would then attack it with a powerful creature and see if I can destroy it and reclaim the fort to rebuild and destroy it again.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2009, 01:23:56 pm »

I always saw it as an anthro bird with a cap over it wearing a iron cap and charging at something with its head turned 180 degree from its front.
Nice avatar btw.

If I could generate and play independently, oh the legends I could create. I would be happy if a fort didn't disperse every time I abandoned it( letting the former inhabitants wander around.) I would then attack it with a powerful creature and see if I can destroy it and reclaim the fort to rebuild and destroy it again.

Yes; it seems like it would be so easy to implement a code that simply freezes the fort at the moment of abandon so that it becomes like the dwarven homes. I don't ask for a fort that waters and feeds itself; just my fort with the inhabitant dwarves milling around that I can talk to, without crap being randomly scattered everywhere, would be nice.

Would also be interesting to do this: if your home civ has no, say, bauxite, go embark on a sedimentary location and scout for it, then leave a stasis fort there. Then, embark in your magma paradise, and request the now available bauxite from the caravan. You might also see your old fort's mayor listed as such on the civ screen.

Although that would be at best a placeholder, and hopefully Toady will be past this stage shortly with the military arc, what with simulation of real goblins.

---

About my avatar:

The creature in my avatar does not even have a name. The original concept art looked like this:

It was drawn by an artist that goes by the name Wyverii for a competition.

I cropped this picture to get my avatar:

« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 05:13:09 pm by darkflagrance »
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2009, 02:52:00 pm »

now, even looking at that, seeing how it's posed in the picture, I have no idea what it's doing in the avatar. I still see a bird with a hat.

Oh and the edit confuses me even more. It's a strange jack in the box creature strangling a pokemon? Thanks for clarifying that though
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 03:47:56 pm by piecewise »
Pages: 1 [2]