Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Keep generating after player intrusion.  (Read 2003 times)

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Keep generating after player intrusion.
« on: November 11, 2009, 11:52:45 pm »

Is there a way to stop the world generation, let say at age 20, jump as adventurer do some wuquest alughter some beast etc, and then leave the adventure and let the world generate a bit more go play as dwarf, start engraving and see your adventurer on your wall!

Well just leaving the adventurer to make the world generate a few more year.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

CompletelySerious

• Bay Watcher
  • Citizen Snips!
    • View Profile
Re: Keep generating after player intrusion.
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 11:54:15 pm »

If only.
You win this round, magma.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 11:55:19 pm »

I take that fora  no, it would be awesome wouldnt it? damn..... ( wish it come tru soon ) It would give a nice feature and reason to play an adventurer :D
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

CompletelySerious

• Bay Watcher
  • Citizen Snips!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 12:01:11 am »

You only need one reason to play as an adventurer. Killing captured children, hunting down their parents, and murdering them with their lost child's severed head.

Also there is sock-strangling.

But it would be pretty awesome.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 12:04:35 am by CompletelySerious »
You win this round, magma.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 03:30:44 am »

I'm not sure it's possible, but this might just work. Play an adventurer and kill how m the king of a dwarven society, then retire or die and begin playing a dwarf mode of the murdered king's society. The engravings might bring this event up, and even if not it will give the world time to advance. I'm not sure exactly how much of the world continues to run while you do fortress mode, but it might lead to some interesting things.

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 04:09:25 am »

It does... But how common are forts lasting any reasonable time?
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
  • [MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 01:36:14 pm »

If a fort lasts more than 8 years it's probably invincible.
Unless you're playing a succession game, then it's always in danger.

Especially if the fort is named Sparkgear or Boatmurdered.
Clutter god the god of godly gods.
Om Nom nom nom nom
Ah yes the god of stone stockpiles, long randomly generated names, and gods.

Rijjka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2009, 02:52:21 pm »

If a fort lasts more than 8 years it's probably invincible.
Unless you're playing a succession game, then it's always in danger.

Especially if the fort is named Sparkgear or Boatmurdered.

Oh crap, my approaching five years and I'm not even half done building my volcano! I guess I'll have to re-claim it. What a shame... though the reclaim will ensure that I get a few more years of FPS higher then 30...
To the dorf pulling the lever, the lever is just a lever. The magma pouring out of the mountainside is just a coincidence. To the dorf designing a pump stack from the magma sea, it is just that: a pump stack. No specific reason for it. It will never do anything.
for reasons best knows to themselves, the elves decided to explode

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2009, 05:01:11 pm »

Lets hope your magma proof floodgate is pretty far OR protected by fortification from all side because if a building destroyer make it blow and it cover your fort, your screwed :P

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2009, 04:13:49 pm »

I'm not sure it's possible, but this might just work. Play an adventurer and kill how m the king of a dwarven society, then retire or die and begin playing a dwarf mode of the murdered king's society. The engravings might bring this event up, and even if not it will give the world time to advance. I'm not sure exactly how much of the world continues to run while you do fortress mode, but it might lead to some interesting things.

While going on town-to-town rampages, I've found art of myself kicking ass.  Without retiring the adventurer, even.  So the engravings should definitely be possible.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2009, 04:18:39 pm »

talking about that, anybody know if the world keep generating event as you play fortress mode? Like while you were building up your fort a random beast went on rampage on a town? or 2 civ went in war together and kill each other somewhere on the said world? or once you start a fortress the world stop around you?

Lobos

• Bay Watcher
  • I crush things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2009, 05:45:47 pm »

Pretty much everyone mills around a town for all eternity or until you kill them after world gen. A few exceptions exist, however, those being wars fought in towns, and the occasional loyalty cascade.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2009, 03:37:20 pm »

While going on town-to-town rampages, I've found art of myself kicking ass.
With a word "Wanted" below? :D
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2009, 04:57:10 pm »

While going on town-to-town rampages, I've found art of myself kicking ass.
With a word "Wanted" below? :D

You can get quests to kill one of your adventurers if they happened to be a murderous bastard.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2009, 07:01:49 am »

I assumed it's possible but never got it. Mostly because all of my "muderous bastards" always die when I become bored.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository
Pages: [1] 2