Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: The Meaning Of Life  (Read 4806 times)

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
Re: The Meaning Of Life
« Reply #75 on: November 24, 2009, 03:09:11 am »

Don't punch people; if you hit something hard you're like to do almost as much damage to your hand as you do to him. More than one person has punched someone in a hard spot (like the ribs) and broken his own knuckles.

Palm strikes work better. A good solid strike to the chest (not too hard, you'll risk killing him if you strike hard enough) will wind most people, follow it up with a knee in the groin and an uppercut (not the throat; you do not want to kill him remember) and most people will drop, giving you time to leg it. If you're quick enough you can take the guy down and be fifty meters down the alley, or out of the bar, before any of his mates put two and two together and work out what just happened.

You generally don't want to engage yourself in a wrestling match; if the guy you jump has mates you're in the shit, and while throws are fine and dandy they take time and if you screw it up he might land on something like the corner of a table, and then you're staring in the face of accidental manslaughter charges, which are never pretty. If you get into a fight, take the guy down as quickly and efficiently as possible and then get the hell out of dodge.

I wouldn't wrestle, especially if more than one. I'd saying I'd use some of the takedowns combined with other moves. Especially arm bars. Those shit can break arms.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 24, 2009, 03:16:03 am »

Don't punch people; if you hit something hard you're like to do almost as much damage to your hand as you do to him. More than one person has punched someone in a hard spot (like the ribs) and broken his own knuckles.

Palm strikes work better. A good solid strike to the chest (not too hard, you'll risk killing him if you strike hard enough) will wind most people, follow it up with a knee in the groin and an uppercut (not the throat; you do not want to kill him remember) and most people will drop, giving you time to leg it. If you're quick enough you can take the guy down and be fifty meters down the alley, or out of the bar, before any of his mates put two and two together and work out what just happened.

You generally don't want to engage yourself in a wrestling match; if the guy you jump has mates you're in the shit, and while throws are fine and dandy they take time and if you screw it up he might land on something like the corner of a table, and then you're staring in the face of accidental manslaughter charges, which are never pretty. If you get into a fight, take the guy down as quickly and efficiently as possible and then get the hell out of dodge.

I wouldn't wrestle, especially if more than one. I'd saying I'd use some of the takedowns combined with other moves. Especially arm bars. Those shit can break arms.

Congratulations, you're both on the ground and you've got him trapped in an arm bar. Now what?

Unless you're getting mugged in some back alley, the most likely place you're going to get into a fight with an unarmed opponent is a bar fight, in which case there are probably dozens of other people around who are all going to get in on it any second now.

Outside of competition fighting, the last thing you want to do is hinder your own mobility. Never, ever hinder your own mobility unless you have no other choice, if you are able to move around, then you can choose when and where to fight, you can take the initiative, mobility is the absolute key in any fight, especially the kind of public scuffles and bar fights you're likely to get into if you hang around the right (or wrong) areas of town.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: The Meaning Of Life (AKA the fighting thread)
« Reply #77 on: November 24, 2009, 03:21:32 am »

Something I noticed that can be associated with hand-hand combat is any simple labor. Like sweeping or heavy lifting and etc.

Oddly enough, I think I know what martial arts masters were up to when it comes to assigning such tasks to students. Physical training and technique while getting things done.

Anyway; what I noticed when doing any kind of work, or even moving around, and it always bothers me when I watch people fight; You really don't need to move around much to cause alot of harm to someone. Given an opportunity, I can knock someone out at point blank without warning, without it being a sucker punch. You don't need a reel back in order to do harm. It's wasted time and energy that can be spent on defense or dodging or aiming.

Like stated, a well placed shot, as well as enough pressure in a given spot can just about incapacitate anyone, provided what you intend to shock for a short time. It's all about pressure points and providing the right pressure at the right point.

Consider something like this; back when most of my family were living in the same house; my older brother would sometimes surprise attack us (sometimes as a surprise greeting) by by pushing his knee at the base of our spine, next thing you know, you can't move your legs, and you're on the ground immediately without resistance. However, it's only as long as pressure is on the spot. Enough for practical jokes; and a pretty decent method to subdue someone unaware of the technique. Of course, with enough knowing how it works, it helps to grow some muscles in the area to make it harder for the technique to work; just keep your posture up to prevent it (provided the right muscles are grown for protection; no guarantees though; plus not too upright either; there's a sweet spot where you're nigh-invulnerable to the method.).

I think similar can be executed, the finding the right column/tendon/vessel to press to fully subdue a person while keeping them conscious is a challenge, but not fantasy. It's just not on the shoulder as Spock would show. Much worse, when using such methods to subdue someone, it's like anesthesia sans the painlessness. No movement, still feeling.

If you are particularly cruel, duct tape a marble into a pressure point and keep them on the ground and deal with them later.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 03:28:10 am by Itnetlolor »

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 24, 2009, 03:35:32 am »

You don't even really need to even bother all that much with pressure points; they're fun to play around with, but there's fairly good odds in a proper fight that you're probably going to be better off just taking the first decent shot you can get. Being precise and controlled in something like a bar fight is, shall we say difficult, especially if the other guy is trying to take you down too.

If you want to immobilise someone, your standard arm lock does the trick fairly well in most circumstances, but unless you're trying to catch someone i question why you're trying to immobilise them and not just take them down.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]