Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: The Meaning Of Life  (Read 4812 times)

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
The Meaning Of Life
« on: November 17, 2009, 11:07:10 pm »

Yes. What is the meaning of life?
What exactly is it?
Please people, I'm trying to be serious in this.
There are plenty of different opinions, but there at least gotta be one thats more believed to be correct than others.

Personally, I don't think life was supposed to happen, and there is no afterlife, but I'm not dead.
My opinion: Live as long as you can and die a happy person.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
Re: The Meaning Of Life
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 11:10:39 pm »

The point in life is to be happy and make the lives of others worth living. At least to me.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 11:14:47 pm »

To exist for a time and make whatever you make of it.  If life has a purpose, it's to tell good stories, and get new stories to tell.  Carry that on for millennia and you have life.

But really, if you're looking for the Meaning of Life, this crappy little forum is a terrible place to start, to the extent that any place could ever be a good place to look.  Make whatever you want of life.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 11:15:48 pm »

I really don't feel like responding right now to you people.
Who cares.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 11:46:49 pm »

The meaning of life is to exist. Other than that, do whatever you want.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

atomicwinter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 12:07:30 am »

I think therefore I am

Life is nothing more than existence, what you do with that existence is up to you

Who is to say you actually exist, you could all be in my mind and me myself in a coma. Everything you know nothing more than an illusion of my mind.

But who is to say I exist. This could all be just a very long dream you are having and none of it will matter in the morning.

Who is to say I was just created? All these thoughts just placed into my head

This could be the Matrix!
------------------------
Life is complicated, nothing is what it seems. This is the reason I have trouble with religion, it can't just be that simple. Simple things for simple people I guess.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 12:20:02 am »

[science]The meaning of life is to reproduce to ensure the existence of our species.[/science]

Honestly, I don't think there is a meaning of life. It's really just whatever you make of it.
It could be to question "What is the meaning of life?"

Personally, I'm a fan of 42.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 12:20:32 am »

The meaning of life is that since we are created in God's own image, we are as much gods, in oursevles, as much as God is one of us.

So to put it, we're gods in training. Being the children of God, we're being raised to continue His legacy by our own means.

I dunno. Considering the bizarreness of dreams, and how willpower can be amazing at times, let's not forget some of the craziness saints have managed throughout the Bible; as well as theory of mythology being real (just a tad exaggerated when written); who knows? Sometimes reality is stranger than fiction. The meaning of life? To figure it the f*** out. However, I don't think technology was meant to figure it all out. It's sorta like, the long way around; but I guess when it's based on hypotheses, then I guess it does qualify as a faith of sorts invested in figuring something out.

I suppose that's also what the Apocalypse really is as well, the limit of questions will be reached.

Another simpler way to put it as well is: to grow up. I mean, look at aliens? Imagine what they had to put up with to earn that kind of stuff. In theory, we're an adolescent race. We're naive and stupid. I mean, we're still killing each other, and robbing from each other for the silliest reasons. Not making as much progress as we're supposed to, and have perverted every other means of progress for our own personal reasons, possibly breaking every commandment given to us, and inviting all 7 deadly sins on a first-name basis to our homes. I can imagine, if God is indeed one of us, supposedly in disguise, it's a damn miracle He hasn't beaten the crap out of us like the good Old Testament days, to discipline us yet.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 12:31:26 am by Itnetlolor »

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009, 12:24:18 am »

The point in life is to be happy and make the lives of others worth living. At least to me.
Oddly enough, this is the same in my spirituality. Of course, there are slight differences between the reason for existing and the reason for life. One being a tutorial for growth and understanding it all and the other being to experience joy.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2009, 01:27:40 am »

Honestly, it's to reproduce. Tat's it.

Who knows what the meaning of life is. To continue the species, is basically it - to prevent an unbalance of the world.

What is the meaning of humans? I don't know. We aren't supposed to be here - and we don't help a thing. I seriously believe that.

However, in the interests of preventing Phantom from becoming a Phantom - It's so we can watch. Life is beautiful. Hundreds, thousands, millions of animals, living in harmony - all acting to their own natures, which, through some strange, and unbelivable reason, make for all animals being in a perfect niche in their ecosystem. We see the world for how beautiful it is. Religious people would definately relate to that, as any higher order would want someone else to look on the handiwork they have made.

Follow this advice, if it's the last you take in your life. Go outside - watch a spider weave a web, and think what it's for. Then come type what you think. Don't be a stupid troll and say "Eeeerrmll it's to hunt, der." Actually watch it. It's magical.

*After much blinking and shaking of head* O...kay... ANYwayy...
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2009, 05:09:37 am »

I really don't feel like responding right now to you people.
Who cares.

CRAWLING BENEATH YOUR SKIN

THESE WOOOOOUNDS

WILLLL NOT HEEEEEEAAAAL
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2009, 06:04:20 am »

If you're thinking of some greater, absolute meaning, then the question is just plain silly. Why ought there be any meaning at all? The whole concept of meaning is integral to us humans. We like to attach it to certain events to make our lives easier, by providing an explanation, a pattern which is instantly recognizable and thus familiar. It's similar in nature to notions like morals or value. It simply doesn't apply outside the scope of our own existence. That's why looking for external, and isolated from, meaning to that existence  is illogical. Looking for it within is another matter, for if you want to invent some driving force behind your own(or other people's) life, then you are free to do so, and such and action can remain logically justified, as long as you remember that your idea is inherently artificial and limited.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2009, 06:13:27 am »

Yes. What is the meaning of life?
life

Thats the best answer I can give.

42 is good as well, but that is the answer to a different question :)
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=the+answer+to+life+the+universe+and+everything&btnG=Search
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

andy1005

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2009, 08:03:36 am »

The meaning of life is to have a means to exist so life can die and move onto another form of existence. It's not a cycle where those that die become life but a constant process that forces life into another existence at the end of their time on this limited world.

So many people believe in an afterlife and probably not one of them are correct visualizations or accurate descriptions but the idea itself is implanted within the human mind so therefore it probably is true.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 08:05:35 am by andy1005 »

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2009, 08:07:52 am »

The meaning of life is to have a means to exist so life can die and move onto another form of existence. It's not a cycle where those that die become life but a constant process that forces life into another existence at the end of their time on this limited world.

So many people believe in an afterlife and probably not one of them are correct visualizations or accurate descriptions but the idea itself is implanted within the human mind so therefore it probably is true.
Aren't you that guy that admitted to being a troll?
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6