Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Pits on every map tile  (Read 1109 times)

E. Appelgren

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Pits on every map tile
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2007, 01:16:00 am »

I think the benevolent god scenario is awesome and should be implemented! A very different sort of endgame content! Stumbling upon friendly or at least neutral entities while digging is a very interesting idea in general.
..here is a jawbone caked in muck!

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2007, 02:20:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by E. Appelgren:
<STRONG>Stumbling upon friendly or at least neutral entities while digging is a very interesting idea in general.</STRONG>

There was an ascii story similar to this about a dwarf falling down a chasm...
My dwarves are not your dwarves.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2007, 05:52:00 am »

Hmm, yeah, interesting too. An underground city where some light-fearing, yet sentient creatures live (relatives of dwarves?), and they have some neat stuff in production, that you can either trade for, or just collapse the ceiling on them and then dig out what's left.  :D
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Stij

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2007, 03:50:00 pm »

My thoughts:

• There should be engame stuff on most, if not all, tiles
  • It doesn't neccessarily have to be demons and adamantine, it would vary on the location
  • I don't think you should be able to see it on the embark map, unless you've already discovered it with another fortress. Perhaps an init option?
  • More ubermaterials like adamantine would be nice, maybe with their own special properties
  • Lists are cool
  • That is all

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2007, 05:13:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Geofferic:
<STRONG>I also think it'd be great if there were twice as many z-levels down worth of content - so that we could, indeed, dig too deep.</STRONG>

My processor is making a plaintive gesture! Seriously, unless there's some HEAVY optimization on the way for pathfinding, temperature, flows, and whatnot, fifteen Z-levels up and down is MORE than enough for most computers.

This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Lord Seo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2007, 05:35:00 pm »

I don't really like the idea of having end game content available for every tile, but having garunteed end game content in some would be neat. Although this would require some other things to be added first here's a little idea along these lines.

In some tiles there could be huge multilevel trees, but there would be no elves living in them. Deep below the tree, in among it's roots could be a chamber containing the seed it came from (it could now be a valuble magical item or something similar). The problem with retreiving it would be that it would be gaurded. Maybe it was an ancient elven city and now an undead elven king and his greatest warriors live there. Maybe a powerful forest spirit or sleeping ent creatures live around this seed. Maybe it could be a chamber to seal a powerful demon. Or a colony of antmen or fungal monsters have taken over, and the queen now lives there with special royal gaurdians.

I'm sure there could be other things, but the point is that you could find one of these trees on the world map and make a fortress there (although it would be best to make them rare) and have some sort of garunteed end game content, but you wouldn't know exactly what you would be getting yourself into until you dug deep under the roots.

mutant mell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2007, 02:04:00 pm »

Maybe instead of uber powerful monsters in every end-game, it would be interesting to see a trap-filled hall, just to turn the tables on us.

In certain areas of non-good plains, there are ancient temples dedicated to old Gods or powerful humanoids or maybe even Cthulu.  The ancients had to leave for some reason, but left their treasures, guarded by fiendish traps.  They could even have imported magma for magma traps, and the magma could possible be one of the "treasures."

Maybe even skeletons using ballistas on us or something.  It would be interesting to see the tables turned on us.

DR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2007, 03:00:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Red Jackard:
<STRONG>
There was an ascii story similar to this about a dwarf falling down a chasm...</STRONG>

Heh, digging down deep into a mountain and discovering Toytown would be a fantastic moment.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2007, 11:11:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Alfador:
<STRONG>

My processor is making a plaintive gesture! Seriously, unless there's some HEAVY optimization on the way for pathfinding, temperature, flows, and whatnot, fifteen Z-levels up and down is MORE than enough for most computers.</STRONG>

If someone REALLY has to have 30+ z-levels go find a bloody huge mountain.  I found one where my only trees were 26 levels down from the embark location (and the top-to-bottom distance was about 35).  My laptop couldn't handle it very well after a while.

Ixen-bay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2007, 11:22:00 pm »

I'd like the ability to add or subtract z-levels in game.  As well as widen or shrink the initial selection.  Then in some maps one could do the 2x2 80 z-levels and in others 8x8 but 5 z-layers.  It would also allow a type of strip mining, where you could strip layers of usable rock and go prospect some others.

Not that I have a clue how that could be implemented.

Ltheb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2007, 01:01:00 am »

I think it would be neat if not every tile had Endgame stuff, but there were ways to reach an end-game scenario.
Like getting the king, and conquering the world! (With the Armies arc coming, I hope its in the works)
Or when (or if) magic gets implemented, perhaps that could lead to several endgame ideas.
Perhaps there could be some sort of artifact End-game, where after something like 50 Artifacts, one more can be created by your most skilled dude, and he has years to do it, but requires exactly 100 things, and if he doesn't succeed he still goes nuts and the event never happens again. Better stock up on gems. And if he does succeed, its the most awesome item ever, and artifact whose description has a long scroll bar, and it menaces with spikes of pitchblende and engraved with images carp striking down demons.  :)
Pages: 1 [2]