Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Pits on every map tile  (Read 1110 times)

SoloDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pits on every map tile
« on: December 12, 2007, 10:58:00 am »

I suggest that every map tile should have a glowing pits in them.  Since this is really the only end game content in the game right now, it would be a lot more fun to be able to play on any map and know that you have a chance for those wonderful glowing pits.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Pits on every map tile
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 11:29:00 am »

I'm all for endgame content being available on all map tiles, but them all being pits of demons......  no, I don't think it's a good idea. Pits of demons (actually more like passageways to demon cities) sealed off by adamantine "plugs" in times before time sound about right for mountains, but in plains, swamps, and other places there should be a lot more different stuff.

Under plains, spacey halls of hostile undead creatures could be found. Under evil plains, halls of undead creatures and a single Ultra-everything Lich Lord. Good plains may be guarded by ethereal warriors or martyrs, that are hostile nonetheless for breaching their grounds. This is all "in memory" of battles waged on open plains. Graves or portals to the other side could be used to prevent lag until the site is discovered. The loot is not adamantine, but a healthy complement of high-quality equipment and riches, including artifacts.

Swamps may be inhabited by more slithery and poisonous creatures. Snakes, spiders, toads, and various variations and crossbreeds thereof. Large breeding grounds and hives of these evil creatures could be found under swamps, led by especially large specimens. The loot in this case is webbing, and skins and scales of very rare specimens of animals, plus rare gems that could have been gathered by the hive.

Forests could be covering ancient elven ruins, which have entryways to a dimension of exceptionally powerful beasts, like dragons. Black dragons, blue dragons, etc.

So yes, I'm all for endgame stuff under everywhere, but only demons is too predictable, even if hardly containable.

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Ixen-bay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 04:19:00 am »

I'm for unpredictable end-game monsters.  With different ways to handle them.  Imagine gearing up for demons with legendary swordsdwarves with demonbane swords (not that there are demonbane swords) only to realize that you have to deal with a  legendary dragon-god immune to swords.  

Or an anticlimactic benevolent god that invites you in for tea.

Rondol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 05:19:00 am »

Or perhaps you could let loose the Flood, and doom all creation?

I have to apologize. Halo references should be punishable by... I dunno, something harsh. I am a terrible person. I'm going to go fish. Maybe the carp are hungry today...

lay IVAN -- Fear Dwarves!

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 08:57:00 am »

I rather like the thought of accidentally unearthing an ancient tomb, or ancient battlefield, and then the game goes Stephen King or H.P. Lovecraft on you.  :)
I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 10:14:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Ixen-bay:
<STRONG>Or an anticlimactic benevolent god that invites you in for tea.</STRONG>

we could name him Tom
My dwarves are not your dwarves.

MyBeardIsOnFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2007, 11:04:00 am »

I'd prefer if the pits and adamantium locations were identifiable from the map somehow.
quote:
Originally posted by mickel:
<STRONG>I rather like the thought of accidentally unearthing an ancient tomb, or ancient battlefield, and then the game goes Stephen King or H.P. Lovecraft on you.   :)</STRONG>

Then again, I'd love to see this too.
iantspider stands before you!
Giantspider...killed Yourlast Adventurer
Giantspider...killed Yo Momma

Cosmonot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2007, 01:37:00 pm »

I agree with the original post; endgame content should be available for all sites. It's all very well and good to say that there should be more varied endgames for different sites but as I understand it, it would be easy to put in demon pits as a placeholder until other endgames actually exist, and the work towards getting endgame content of any type added to the map during generation would be required later on anyway.
Kobolds carry copper crossbows.

Zorromorph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2007, 01:40:00 pm »

I totally disagree -- I like the idea that you don't know for sure what you are going to find beyond basic info.  Having pits on every single map is just ridiculous as far as I'm concerned.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2007, 05:13:00 pm »

Not to mention that guarantees adamantine.

I've tried to alleviate that somewhat by adding other [DEEP] materials, like inobtanite (a 5% ore of inobtanium, that's got damage and defence mods through the roof, but weighs like Darkmatter. As Dr.Farnsworth would say, "a pound of it weighs ten thousand pounds"  :) ), that's most hilarious when used for bolts "of ultimate carnage"...

Anyways. There's really no point in adding the "old" endgame content to everywhere. Instead let's wait until other kinds of such content are introduced (if its introduction is announced...  I would prefer it not to be  ;) ), and added to the appropriate places. Or better yet, no specific places at all. You know, the worldgen could cover that, by "making up" ancient wars against demons and foul beasts, and powerful magicians, etc., then placing relevant sites not per "type" of the biome, but according to what happened in that area.

Also, treasure. Not endgame, just some nifty thing buried hell knows when hell knows where. Maybe semi-endgame, treasure planted by a powerful "hero" of old, and guarded by some monsters, or traps..

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

slMagnvox

• Bay Watcher
  • Attend Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2007, 06:17:00 pm »

But how do you reconcile the frustration of trying to get a map with adamantium?

I suggest:

• An init option that would reveal pits on the site selection screen.
  • Generating pits after site selection has been made.  A site that contained mountain tiles would have the denom pits generated randomly underneath one of the mountain tiles within your site.

More endgame stuff in general would be awesome.  But since it is pits we have now, those of us who would like to play with them should have a better mechanism for proper site selection.  The way it works now is just tedious and frustrating, one random mountain out of at least 30+ tiles.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2007, 06:23:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by mickel:
<STRONG>H.P. Lovecraft on you.   :)</STRONG>

I would crap myself to see that I just accidentally let loose the 3x3 tile size 500 Cthulu.

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2007, 06:41:00 pm »

Geofferic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2007, 07:12:00 pm »

Let me just say that I think there should be as many as two dozen different possible 'uber' nasty things on a map - but it still should not guarantee anything.

Hell it should be possible to have them all on one map.

I'd love to see more of this sort of thing put into the game.  Like entire underground abandoned cities filled with zombies or whatever.  Just all kinda stuff.

I also think it'd be great if there were twice as many z-levels down worth of content - so that we could, indeed, dig too deep.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2007, 07:49:00 pm »

If you listen to legends I'm pretty sure you can hear about hwere demons were sealed.

I'd rather not have adamantium easily obtainable.

Pages: [1] 2