Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Beserk Dwarf + War Dog=?  (Read 1289 times)

Karik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Beserk Dwarf + War Dog=?
« on: December 14, 2009, 12:25:00 am »

So...I read that if an animal tastes dwarf blood they are never truly 'tame'.  If an animal is tame before it rips the head off a crazy dwarf builder who never saw it coming...does the animal still never remain fully 'tame' even if it is already a war dog?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Beserk Dwarf + War Dog=?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 12:26:19 am »

Once berserk a dwarf is hostile to your civilization. War dogs that rip him apart will still be tamed and unbloodthirsty.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Hagadorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO-GIFTS] [NAUGHTY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 01:05:48 am »

awww. poop.
You see, booze is a parasite. It lives off dwarves and compels them to dig into the ground so as to create massive defences to protect it's self. It really shouldn't be called dwarf fortress, Booze fortress would make much more sense.

Demetrious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 03:01:03 am »

I recently had a weaver, who was also my nominal animal trainer, get a fey mood. Naturally he was making something at a weavers shop (i.e. a useless artifact,) he had a bunch of hard-to-make steel with him, and he was screaming for shells. I couldn't care less.

Since he was the animal trainer, the last four or five war dogs he'd trained were still following him around. The situation resolved itself... nicely.
I like the fact we are seriously discussing how to drop dwarfs off towers using  kittens as cushions.

Mookie Love

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 12:23:38 pm »

I like to assign at least one war dog to anybody who gets a fey mood. Just in case. More if they've got the equipment and/or stats to put up a real good fight, like an already-legendary miner or a woodcutter.

It's not like I'm in any shortage of war dogs.

Sir Iryn

• Bay Watcher
  • Fier et fort
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 12:26:19 pm »

I like to assign at least one war dog to anybody who gets a fey mood. Just in case. More if they've got the equipment and/or stats to put up a real good fight, like an already-legendary miner or a woodcutter.

It's not like I'm in any shortage of war dogs.

It's just good practice to assign a war dog to a moody dorf if you've got the dogs to spare. If he completes the mood, the dog will keep him alive later if your fort is attacked. If he goes berserk, well, call the garbagedorfs.
When in deadly danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.
"Well, everything's going to shit, but on the bright side, My coffin industry is doing very well."

Karik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 03:43:06 pm »

I have nearly 100 war dogs...my puppy mill is beastly even though they have only made babies once so far.  War dogs are my fortresses police force, and meat shield extraordinares!

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 05:41:47 pm »

The problem isn't with "tasting Dwarven blood", but with killing a member of your civilization - when that happens, it becomes an enemy of your civilization and subsequently shows hostility toward all members of your civ. Berserk dwarves are considered to no longer belong to their civilization (as evidenced by the fact that their symbol changes from a smiley to an @ sign), so they're fair game.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.