Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Tabletop RPGs  (Read 1761 times)

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
Re: Tabletop RPGs
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2010, 05:14:14 pm »

The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

sproingie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2010, 09:19:41 pm »

Really awesome links.  I agree with everything in them, except for the criticism of 3E/4E, because I really don't think it is all *that* OP, except for acknowledging the fact that yes the player is a reasonably Bad Ass Hero from the start instead of Peasant McNobody.  They're not munchkins, but they really are separate from the pack, and I don't think that's so much a bad thing.

One last thing: don't be afraid to reveal to your players the fact that you really do have a plot planned out and that you'd appreciate them working with you a little to play it out.  Players don't like being railroaded into plots they're not interested in or don't think fits their character's motivations, but a good player doesn't want to force the GM into ad-libbing absolutely everything.  If despite your best efforts at getting people toward the game you have planned goes to waste, you're still better off signalling a timeout and saying "c'mon guys, I sort of planned the game around the Mysterious Tower On The Horizon, so work with me?".  Don't whine, just let 'em know that the alternative is a a bunch of random encounter tables.
Toady is the man who Peter Molyneux wishes he was

Quote from: ToadyOne
dragon pus was like creamy gold. Infect and collect!

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2010, 04:05:18 pm »

Well, 3E just goes too far with things. Like being able to use the nonmagical Escape Artist skill to slip through a Wall of Force (basically an impenetrable force field, for those who don't know), or to just be able to climb upside down on a ceiling because you're just that good at climbing. Or the many many feat / prestige class combos that result in crazy stuff straight out of The Matrix by level 10.

And 4E gives you weird things on the order of "If an enemy hits you, you can use a healing surge to give a nearby friend a bonus to Jumping" like WTF man at that point there isn't a justification anymore. It's just pushing bits of plastic and metal around. It may be fun, but it's definitely a different kind of fun.

Some people play a game called Toon where you play a cartoon character, and when you run out of HP you get "knocked down" and little birdies and stars float around your head. And they have a whole lot of fun with that. But it's okay to point out ways in which that game would be unenjoyable.

And 3E/4E isn't overpowered, because everyone runs on PCP from the rats and goblins and peasants to the PCs and the skeleton kings. If you can play a Half-Drow Half-Green Dragon Fiendish Ascended Ophidian Zombie Vampire Were-Blue-Dragon Nightbane Flower-Arranging Shinobi Ulterior Carpspawn Windhawk Skeletor Ghost (that's just your race, by the way, your classes get even more complicated as you add them), then every kobold you come across should be exactly as messed up and complicated.

If every kobold is not as complicated, likely because the DM doesn't have time for all that nonsense, that is when the PCs in 3E get overpowered. Because they each have just one character to manage, and the DM has several hundreds over the course of the campaign. Using more options, having more feats to choose from, means a more powerful character.

And that is simply not debatable. If the player uses all the available official WotC books, and the DM doesn't have time to, then the PC will be more powerful than an equal-level NPC.

But if you restrict the players to just the PHB, you lose all the benefits of the feat and prestige class mechanics. So it goes.

Certainly OD&D, 1E, B/X, Rules Cyclopedia, 2E, and Player's Option all have their downsides. And some of those downsides are real dealbreakers for various people, based on taste. Tastes differ. As I said, some people like playing a game with superheroic, Hong Kong action flick characters. That's not a dig - that's something that would actually make a lot of people excited!

Just not me.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic
Pages: 1 [2]