Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Tauntrum spiral... what now?  (Read 2821 times)

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tauntrum spiral... what now?
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2009, 02:27:55 pm »

You guys are forgetting that all of these ideas involve having a dwarf stable long enough to carry out a duty.  Now, assuming that he or she doesn't start tantruming or go insane in the middle of your order because his or her best friend/cat/grandma died, that dwarf will just get attacked while attempting to carry out an order anywhere near a combat area...not to mention they might be frightened...

I don't know...maybe my spirals were just really bad, but none were recoverable beyond abandoning or waiting and hoping somebody survived...

Taffy Foxbat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2009, 02:43:22 pm »

one coffin which happens to be an artifact, I wanted to save that for my first dead legendary marksdwarf after years of faithfull service.

Build it in the sculpture garden, dining hall, or other meeting area, but don't make it available for burial. You can assign it to your marksdwarf to make him extra happy :)

"Urist McNugent admired own kickass burial receptacle lately. He contemplated his own mortality lately."

Quote from: Stargrasper
You guys are forgetting that all of these ideas involve having a dwarf stable long enough to carry out a duty ... I don't know...maybe my spirals were just really bad, but none were recoverable beyond abandoning or waiting and hoping somebody survived...

The suggestions we're making are improving the chances of someone surviving. They're by no means guaranteed, but they're better than nothing. If you haven't given dwarves anything nice ever and they're all right on the bitter edge of freakout when things start to go badly, yeah, the odds are against you, but I have averted tantrum spirals without losing the whole fort.

Also, the making-nice-things tricks are good for preventing tantrum spirals from starting in the first place, so it's good to get in practice. I've only had one tantrum spiral recently (i.e. since I started routinely placing happy-thought furniture) and that was from an accident involving a caged titan.
Taffy Foxbat needs alcohol to get through the working day.

yaklin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2009, 08:45:18 pm »

this is what you do with a massive out of control tantrum spiral:
1 get some beer, vodka, gin or soda, depending on age and preference
2 get some legendary dragon meat roasts (or similar)
3 watch fortress crumble
???
5 profit

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2009, 09:41:59 pm »

Before I watch a good old tantrum spiral, I always make a point of getting so drunk that the little smiley faces actually start looking like dwarves.

Only problem is, I always vomit on my keyboard. Stupid cave adaption.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Lord_Shadow

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNDEAD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2009, 09:46:11 pm »

One part in me yells 'yay, lets trap them!'
Then the other side comes up with 'We don't have cages...'

:-\

weapon traps...
Urist McCarpenter cancels rest: QUITSCREWINGWITHMAHBUCKETSYOUSONOFABITCHES!!!
Urist Mccarpenter has gone stark raving mad!
Urist McWalrusCarpenter cancels rest: Has u seen mah bukkit?!

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2009, 02:06:47 am »

Just a suggestion, place a lot of doors pre-spiral, and lock the tantrumming dwarves when it gets bad.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2009, 02:36:46 am »

They wreck doors  :'(
@ XSI.

Also, yeah, the best way to deal with Tantrum Spirals, is to take steps to make sure they never occur in the first place. In my current Fort, i got a 1x1 Meeting Place with an Artifact animal trap next to it, and to even get to the the room, my Dwarves have to go through an Artifact door. If a Dwarf starts getting unhappy, i usually just turn off his jobs for a while, so he can admire the Artifacts.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2009, 05:01:05 am »

They wreck doors? I've never had that happen, might be because I've mostly dealt with the berzerk variety, and not the tantruming kind.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

Angellus

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2009, 07:32:08 am »

Sadly the tauntruming will wreck everything apart...

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2009, 07:32:30 am »

They do it out of spite.

Yeah, tantruming dwarves have a bad habit of destroying nearby buildings. I've had injured dwarves destroy the bed they were resting on, prompting the super-strong captain of the guard to go over and punch him in the head, smashing it into the body, an unrecognizable mess.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2009, 10:35:21 am »

Can a tantruming dwarf destroy the artifact you've set out?
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2009, 11:24:02 am »

I dunno, but they can destroy bridges, with hilarious results.

ESPECIALLY if it's the only bridge into your fortress, and it's a few Z levels above a carp and hippo infested river.

Oh and three other dwarves where on it.

Fun.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tantrum spiral... what now?
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2009, 04:19:44 pm »

Well, yes. But, as far as I know, they won't actually destroy it like an atomsmasher destroys items. They will deconstruct it, leaving the door item.
At least I hope that they don't smash it into pieces.

If they don't, the door-smashing isn't that bad because they get happy thoughts from smashing stuff and punching people. If there are enough doors they could slow down or stop a tantrum spiral.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2009, 04:33:18 pm »

Immigrants. Make sure when you get them (if your fort survives that long, which it probably should) close off your fort, so they do not get attacked or get emotionally attached to the terminal patient which is your fort. Build a small hole in the ground fort for your new migrants, and wait it out. If done right, you should be able to keep from reclaiming. Be sure to use a drawbridge over a channel to keep out the nasties that may attack in the mean time.

ShadeJS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2009, 05:05:46 pm »

1. Lots of justice (Fortress Guard)
2. Lots of ornate prison cells with booze built in.
3. Ramp up the happy thoughts. (Better dining rooms, mist machine / dwarf washer, statue gardens, zoos, good food and drink, etc.)
4. Keep migrants safe.
5. Always stay a few (or 20) coffins ahead and only use them for dwarves.

Mind you the real trick is to do #3 first. If you treat your dwarves like little disposable slaves tantrum spirals can get you. If you make a good faith effort to keep them ecstatic they can endure a fair bit. I once lost half a pop 160 fort to HFS (because I was dumb), and I lost more than half of the survivors to wounds and tantrums--- At the end of the day the population stabilized around 35.

The only thing that saved that fort was that the dwarves were very happy, and I had a bunch of coffins set up...
Pages: 1 [2]