Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The next step  (Read 1923 times)

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
Re: The next step
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2009, 03:11:00 am »

I think there is an efficiency guide on the wiki somewhere. Paper is not the dwarvern why of planning, I would just go in there and plan whilst being bombarded by all those trogladytes, GCS, Magma men, etc.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2009, 11:14:18 am »

Just remember to use reveal on a copy of the region, you don't want to loose the UG river.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2009, 05:02:59 pm »

How do I get to the next level of skill? How do I get to the point where I'm making efficient fortresses that are up and running in under a year?

Prioritize.

What is important?  Not as a player, not what "you like to do", but to the fortress.  For me, crops and security, followed by the 1st caravan deadline.  Early on I spend 1 week raiding outdoors for plant samples,  and AG farmplots get started as well.  I train 1 miner in soil first (no UG irrigation necessary), getting underground asap, and then migrate into nearby stone digs and turn the old area into storage/TC farms.

If I can find iron then I have several suits of steel armor by the 1st Fall caravan, which is great for both security and to boost created wealth for that 1st migrant wave.  ~4-6 weeks of Stonecrafting mugs plus reject furniture and mechanisms gets me all the trade goods I want/need (Trying that with Prepared Meals next - we'll see.)

Over Winter, my miner starts serious exploratory mining, and I get a feel for where the permanent fortress will be dug.  1st migrant wave (often Winter, always by Spring) provides ~20 dwarves, and 1 will be my 2nd miner, maybe my 3rd as well.  Several others become combat masons (w/ woodcutting to keep them armed) and the projects start.

A lot of what I'm interested in learning first is how to make efficient fortresses, where the work gets done with the absolute minimum of wasted time and effort.

... use Reveal on it, and plan out the fortress on paper before starting to dig.

I'm a big believer in graph paper.  1 square = 4 tiles for general planning, 1:1 for details.  As you gain experience, you'll need it less and less, as the patterns start to become self-evident - 3x3 workshops here, 5x5 there, what needs to be walled in and what can be out in the open (based on moods and selective materials, mostly), 3-wide and 2-wide hallways there, etc.

Pages: 1 [2]