Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The next step  (Read 1927 times)

Heliomance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The next step
« on: August 03, 2009, 07:40:48 am »

I've got to the point where I can play DF successfully. I can start a fort, defend myself from goblins, and after a few years it'll be thriving and nothing bad's gonna happen to it unless I do something stupid.

How do I get to the next level of skill? How do I get to the point where I'm making efficient fortresses that are up and running in under a year? The point where I can start making megaprojects?

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
Re: The next step
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 07:55:04 am »

Join a succsession game, fun.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 08:00:03 am »

I'm probably not the first person who's gonna suggest this but

build a megaconstruction. That should give you something to do.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 08:07:04 am »

How do I get to the next level of skill? How do I get to the point where I'm making efficient fortresses that are up and running in under a year? The point where I can start making megaprojects?

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 08:14:51 am »

Ach I didn't see that part.  :(

Well the only way to practice making a megaconstruction is by actually making one. Although a fair bit of effort will be involved in keeping your dwarves happy and fed so as to avoid heaping amounts of Fun. But being able to maintain a stable fort is essential and since you have that part down, sky's the limit!  ;D
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 11:10:38 am »

Just think up something ridiculous and try to build it. Chances are the first few tries will fail spectacularly (at least that's how it worked for me) and you'll learn more each time.

If you're not yet into megaprojects try a no-trap fort. Those are Fun too. Learn all about mechanics, build a waterwheel and then think up something do do with the power.

As far as getting up and running in under a year, why bother? It's easier to have just 7 dwarves for a year or two to get the basic stuff down solid so you don't have to worry about it for the lifetime of the fort. If you really want to accelerate the immigration process try the 'fast expansion' embark on the wiki, it really lets you get a jump on some of the more advanced industries and keeps all 7 dwarves working their beards off for the first year, and I've almost never gotten less than 20 migrants the second year using it.

Bottom line, the next step is to let your imagination run wild.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 11:34:38 am »

Mods! Try your luck with the orc mod(or digdeeper, it has orcs and a some more 'fun' to have) and then add the 'harder' version of civ forge to the mix if you don't have digdeeper. This is, of course, if you like difficultcy.  links-
orc mod- http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=877 (you might want to mod out trapavoid on the orcs if it's too hard)
digdeeper, download this instead of orc mod and civ forge(it has orcs!!!!)- http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=980
Civ forge& varients - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=18746.0
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 11:43:47 am by Megaman »
Hello Hunam

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 03:21:13 pm »

Dig Deeper has some major problems with Adamantine, such as it spawning in large clusters. Besides being just plain silly, it causes massive goblin sieges within the first year.

Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

milaga

• Bay Watcher
  • No Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2009, 06:42:12 pm »

Definitely try the orc mod. I'm sure you will have "fun" with your first fortress. It will also teach you to get a fort up and running as fast as possible.
Thanks for that...  now I have the image of Urist McBooger walking up to me with a creepy smile and asking me if I want a "dwarven shower".

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2009, 06:44:44 pm »

Make a lot of your own races, make them hostile, surrender to multi race siege.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2009, 06:47:27 pm »

I probably wouldn't do a succession fortress next - if you don't understand what crazy-ass contraption your predecessor is trying to build, it can be awfully frustrating.

I'd look at one of the challenges instead. I did Morul so that I could learn some of the production items that I never really had a need to learn before. I did the rivercross challenge and learned how to dam large rivers (and learned a number of other things along the way).

Even if you aren't successful, even if you don't win, you'll learn a lot along the way.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2009, 10:00:05 pm »

Your Morul challenge, Martin, is amazuhzing. How is it going right now? Doesn't he only have a few more weapon skills left? Or did the orcs finally overrun you?
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2009, 10:08:08 pm »

Your Morul challenge, Martin, is amazuhzing. How is it going right now? Doesn't he only have a few more weapon skills left? Or did the orcs finally overrun you?

Heh. Morul is out now working on a siege of 80 orcs modded up to size 25/damblock 25 - about like getting sieged by bronze colossus. If the fortress does get overrun, it'll be due to overmodding.

He's got 3 more weapons. He's halfway through battle axe. He's got a bit of spear, and he's not yet started on sword. Hoping the tougher orcs allow him more time swinging the weapon. We'll see soon enough.

Other than that his suite is currently under construction. The hot tub is built, but I'm still designing some of the other amenities.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2009, 10:26:44 pm »

I bet that siege is going to be hard, even for Morul. Aren't you making his suite like that one thing in the X-men movies? A big Sphere except yours is encased in magma. Sorry for so many questions hear, I guess I should just ask them in your thread.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Heliomance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2009, 03:08:51 am »

A lot of what I'm interested in learning first is how to make efficient fortresses, where the work gets done with the absolute minimum of wasted time and effort. Is there a tutorial on how to do that anywhere? Failing that, I think my first attempt will be to use the Dwarf Heaven map, use Reveal on it, and plan out the fortress on paper before starting to dig.
Pages: [1] 2