Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Any way to "Cheat" the game into smoothing walls?  (Read 2674 times)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: Any way to "Cheat" the game into smoothing walls?
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2009, 09:04:24 pm »

All I know about soil modding is that if you try to make it show up in clusters underground, it won't drop stone but you won't be able to use it as soil either.  You can smooth it, though.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2009, 10:56:59 pm »

It honistly ISENT that hard to just tell em to Smooth the walls...I think the only time you cant is if you keep making forts in hills of Loam or something Like I keep doing...
Imagine being able to build sand castles (not converted into glass, that's cheating. Literally sand castles).

Wouldn't that be funny.
I would do that in a freakin heartbeat...
Couldn't you mod sand so that it drops a stone when mined? Can you give soil_sand to a layer which isn't soil?

Or maybe a smelter reaction that makes 'sand' stones?
Soils and stones are handled in different text documents, so I assume they just inherently handle differently. I don't know the problems that arise by adding a tag to a file that is not meant to have that tag, so test away.

As far as I know, the fact that they're in different files means nothing. I believe its that way for organization more than any arbitrary engine definition. I know you can make a new file and put more stone entries in it and the game will work fine.

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2009, 03:44:50 am »

I just make all useless migrants smooth out all walls and floors untill I figure out something more productive for them to do, or enlist them in the army. I smooth out mineshafts, mined-out viens, the mountainsides, everything. An army of 'workfare' dwarves smoothing out every stone surface there is.

It builds up their stats quickly, keeps them busy, raises the fortress value and makes everything pretty, in a hurry. I wait untill everything is smoothed out before disabling the labor on all but my best engravers to make quality engravings in the Royal's rooms and stuff.
Pages: 1 [2]