Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Any way to "Cheat" the game into smoothing walls?  (Read 2678 times)

Uber dwarf2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • Please stop reading this, I will be banned if yo-
    • View Profile
Any way to "Cheat" the game into smoothing walls?
« on: August 02, 2009, 06:31:33 pm »

I REALLY like having walls smoothed.Remember those reaction files? well does anyone have one that auto smoothes the walls when you dig out a room?

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Any way to "Cheat" the game into smoothing walls?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 07:19:44 pm »

No.

Just have your dwarves do it. Use Dwarf Manager to have your entire population do engraving to speed things up.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 08:22:49 pm »

As if it weren't already easy enough to get room value skyrocketing, right?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

KaziArmada

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 08:39:13 pm »

It honistly ISENT that hard to just tell em to Smooth the walls...I think the only time you cant is if you keep making forts in hills of Loam or something Like I keep doing...

milaga

• Bay Watcher
  • No Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 10:23:59 pm »

Just have your dwarves do it. Use Dwarf Manager to have your entire population do engraving to speed things up.

It's easy enough to smooth walls yourself. But I'm careful who I assign smoothing too. Smoothing jobs seem to take priority over every other job. So if a mandate gets laid down and all your dwarves are smoothing ... that will never get built until the smoothing is over.

Unless, of course, the mandate is to smooth the whole damn world. Then go for it, man, go for it!
Thanks for that...  now I have the image of Urist McBooger walking up to me with a creepy smile and asking me if I want a "dwarven shower".

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 10:38:24 pm »

Also note that reactions only work in the smelter workshop, and can only create items.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2009, 11:15:50 pm »

It honistly ISENT that hard to just tell em to Smooth the walls...I think the only time you cant is if you keep making forts in hills of Loam or something Like I keep doing...
Imagine being able to build sand castles (not converted into glass, that's cheating. Literally sand castles).

Wouldn't that be funny.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2009, 11:44:58 pm »

It's easy enough to smooth walls yourself. But I'm careful who I assign smoothing too. Smoothing jobs seem to take priority over every other job. So if a mandate gets laid down and all your dwarves are smoothing ... that will never get built until the smoothing is over.

Unless, of course, the mandate is to smooth the whole damn world. Then go for it, man, go for it!

Or unless you grab 2 of them and turn smoothing off so they can go do the mandate... woah.

KaziArmada

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2009, 01:10:11 am »

Imagine being able to build sand castles (not converted into glass, that's cheating. Literally sand castles).

Wouldn't that be funny.
I would do that in a freakin heartbeat...

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2009, 01:20:06 am »

Wouldn't that be funny.
Couldn't you mod sand so that it drops a stone when mined? Can you give soil_sand to a layer which isn't soil?

Or maybe a smelter reaction that makes 'sand' stones?

LOSNR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2009, 07:12:52 am »

You can make stones out of anything with a matgloss entry.

Rvlion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2009, 09:01:27 am »

Considdering the amount of non rock stuff you have to dig, maybe even allow those "sand" stones to be used for construction and smelted at a glass furnace into 5-10 raw green or clear glass per stone (depending on skill).  ;D
Would save a lot of time gathering sand with a bag at one of the designated zones.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2009, 09:24:38 am »

Wouldn't that be funny.
Couldn't you mod sand so that it drops a stone when mined? Can you give soil_sand to a layer which isn't soil?

Or maybe a smelter reaction that makes 'sand' stones?
Soils and stones are handled in different text documents, so I assume they just inherently handle differently. I don't know the problems that arise by adding a tag to a file that is not meant to have that tag, so test away.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2009, 11:38:41 am »

Just train up 5 legendary engravers. Bam. All your walls are now smooth.

Qwernt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2009, 06:11:58 pm »

Is your goal smothed walls or smooth looking walls in your graphics based version of DF?  IE, to make it look smooth should be as simple as pointing to different graphics.
Pages: [1] 2