Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Evil biome's and the dead  (Read 4853 times)

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Evil biome's and the dead
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2009, 07:11:41 pm »

Go to the religion thread (dunno where it is). I suggested a scheme of worshipping deities for imperceptible bonuses to your fort, or slight smiting of your foes.

I think a lot of how evil spheres and the undead will relate to religion will be up to Toady, more than most suggesters would like. How deities are implemented (are they real, are they DnD style where they're mortal but inhumanly strong or are they truly divine, are they good/evil/benign/vary) will very strongly effect how they interact with evil forces.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2009, 07:55:36 pm »

idk deformations seem like it would lower the value of gameplay, i know that already having a massive river running through your map full of carp can make it almost impossible to play, but adding something that you can't even controll would be horrible...

To me, DF isn't a game where you try to control. Losing control is inherently part of the game. Fey mood, sieges, migrants, caravan products, underground feature locations, things that can determine whether your fortress will survive or not, are all out of our control to a degree, even though you can influence them.
Playing DF is sort of recognizing you can't control anything ; everything could go wrong because of a random detail, you have to play for the best with what happens. Randomness is what makes DF wonderful : the least likely the event, the more awesome the story.

Now, I'm not saying we shouldn't have any influence towards the curse. Perhaps by killing zombies and demons, by building altars you could lift it. But I stand by the awesomeness of it.

Cyx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2009, 08:42:36 pm »

How about, a biome where the death sphere is present has a chance for anything dead to come back to life, except not necessarily evil and with a strange hunger for brains. Maybe, if the land is stronfly influenced be some godess whose spheres are Death and Nature, the dead could come back but as neutrals and just hang around in the woods giving happy thoughts to the other dwarves. Except when they come too close and get bitten. Spheres interacting with each other while having an effect over biomes could lead to pretty strange and awesome things, I think.

It could also be hard to implement, but I'll try to imagine something;
To fit in DF it would have to be potentially randomized; so we could associate spheres with objects, materials or statuses. War could be associated with weapons, metal and blood. Death with zombies, skeletons, death. Nature with animals, trees and fertility.
Let's consider Deformity. The definition of the effect of this sphere would be: "Here, people have a chance to be born with strange limbs and body materials"
But when another sphere is strongly present here, they could interact and we would obtain;
Nature; They get random animal or vegetal limbs instead or added to their own, or they are more fertile.
Death; They are born skeletons, or zombies, or with zombie limbs, or with dead limbs (this is atrocious but awesome, also this is actually on-topic)
War; They get weapons instead of limbs, some of their organs are made of blood (causing death)
So basically, every sphere that has an associated object/material which can be placed instead of one of the newborn's , has a chance to create a diformity if Diformity is present.

I got carried away, but the implication here is, undead aren't necessarily just hostile. Maybe they could come back from the dead to help you fight the goblins. Or to help you plant crops. Or kill your priest. Or pull your levers.

... Actually, I just read the whole thread and as it turns out, somebody already had all my ideas.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 09:00:13 pm by Cyx »

Cyx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2009, 08:48:08 pm »

[Disregard this]

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2009, 12:44:25 am »

The undead are "Curses"

So likely I guess that curses can have associated spheres.

Werewolves could have Moon and Animal spheres for example.

zarmazarma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2009, 12:46:38 am »

this is a great idea, though the thought of being stuck in an evil sphere along with a fertile sphere brings the thought of a fortress failing BECAUSE of undead fetuses. at the very least because they scared off all the farmers and fishers and hunters...

Not sure how "Fertility" And "Death" Would mix.

Harvest Zombies?

>Use corpses as compost?: Yes.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2009, 08:01:39 am »

Mayflies?

BeyondAllPronunciation

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2009, 10:01:22 am »

How about, a biome where the death sphere is present has a chance for anything dead to come back to life, except not necessarily evil and with a strange hunger for brains. (...)
First of all "Death" does not sound like it could let dead come back to life by themselves.

I'd like to see areas influenced by "death" sphere as places where the border between this world and the other is very thin. Allowing for good old necromancy to be used there. And by "good old" I mean "summoning spirits to answer questions like in greek mythology" not "hordes of zombies you can easily dispose of using a chainsaw".

Ghost could also manifest without any rituals. Just to haunt their favourite workshop, or talk with their family, or tell sheriff who killed them, or levitate stuff around just for the fun of it.

Typical zombies or skeletons are mindless and violent and that implies they don't have their memories. I think such phenomena should be tied to some other sphere.

(No time. If I think of something else, I'll edit)
-=Edit=-
Naturally "Death" sphere would work both ways. Severly injured and/or poisoned would succumb more easily under its influence.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 10:27:56 am by BeyondAllPronunciation »
Pages: 1 2 [3]