Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Evil biome's and the dead  (Read 4844 times)

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Evil biome's and the dead
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2009, 06:44:15 pm »

All things have balance.  A brook or Magma flow makes it easy to deal with bodies, but also bring undead carp or undead fire throwing magma men.

Edit Stuff in red
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 06:46:38 pm by Granite26 »

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2009, 09:39:00 pm »

Neon "dark" or "unpleasent" doesnt equals "evil" at all anyway the list is good enought for a start.

I also can see some more undead-places for example water, ice and fire sphere places could have "drowned", "frozen", and "burned" variants of the normal zomby. And heck drowned creatures look really scary after some time even in comparsion to other undead things.A place associated with fertility could have undead babys and embryos  :o .

« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 09:40:48 pm by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2009, 02:43:29 am »

I know I was bringing up a list not defining true evil.

Though since a lot of creatures associated with evil are active at night, it does make sense.

waldo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2009, 03:25:34 am »

this is a great idea, though the thought of being stuck in an evil sphere along with a fertile sphere brings the thought of a fortress failing BECAUSE of undead fetuses. at the very least because they scared off all the farmers and fishers and hunters...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2009, 03:31:30 am »

this is a great idea, though the thought of being stuck in an evil sphere along with a fertile sphere brings the thought of a fortress failing BECAUSE of undead fetuses. at the very least because they scared off all the farmers and fishers and hunters...

Not sure how "Fertility" And "Death" Would mix.

Harvest Zombies?

Sunken

• Bay Watcher
  • Wabewalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2009, 08:50:29 am »

Not sure how "Fertility" And "Death" Would mix.

Harvest Zombies?
Cannibal compost!
Alpha version? More like elf aversion!

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2009, 10:08:18 am »

Zombies that breed.  (Hopefully asexually... dear God make it asexually)

NWTreeOctopus

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs alcohol to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2009, 06:16:39 pm »

I think one of the most fun aspects of this implementation of zombies/undead would have to come from their escalating accumulation of injuries.  Think about, for example, the hammerer champ who took down most or all of a siege before dying.  When he returned with the goblins, you might be facing zombies with broken limbs, so they'd be slower and less efficient in combat.  As you put them down repeatedly, they'd become less and less effective in combat (maybe until they could only bite dwarfs walking over them?).  Maybe any injured dwarf would have a high chance of succumbing to infected wounds as well, spreading the problem more quickly (zombie outbreak in the hospital?).  Finally, would it need to generate unhappy thoughts from killing a zombie loved one/friend/comrade in arms?

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2009, 06:03:29 am »

The location you have chosen is in a "evil" sphere. Are you sure you want to embark?

Y

Oh dear god! I'm being sieged by zombie Joseph Fritzel, skeletal Hitler and the ghost of Margaret Thatcher! And what the hell is rotten Gandhi doing here? Wha.. are Hitler and Thatcher... no! Breed by spores damn you, breed by spores! ARGHHHH, MY EYES, MY PRECIOUS EYES! WHY TOADY (armok be with him) WHY?
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

waldo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2009, 02:50:27 pm »

well we all know that zombies don't multiply asexually, what do you think those zombies in the ocarina of time were trying to do huh?

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2009, 03:30:20 pm »

It's a lot of work carving up a body, it'd be easier to let them rot and maul anything getting back up before looting them and tossing the meat outside. Alternatively, if corpses ever become containers like in real life (ie socks not blowing off your feet when you die), it might be best to loot their armor before they get up again

Oh man, armored zombies. Bad ass

Carving up a body maybe, but having an axedwarf come by and behead all the corpses or even dismember all the limbs wouldn't take more than a few minutes. The only time this would be a real problem would be against sieges, where you may have far more corpses to dismember than you can before they start to rot.

This also may be a task to add to the butcher shop. Set up a new task "Butcher unbutcherable corpse" would break down a corpse into the bones and skull and keep it from rising, but would cause a HORRIBLE unhappy thought if this is done do a dwarf (that's cannibalism... that's the elves shtick).

It also may sit well if religion was implemented. Perhaps if the priest noble consecrates the grave the undead can't rise from it. Creating mass-graves for dead armies might be viable if you don't want the bones, or you can set up a pit for allowing the dead to rise and then mowing them down with siege weapons or training new recruits with them.

It's a fairly good suggestion.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2009, 08:37:00 pm »

That would be awesome, if goblins would die and then get back up. you could find that sieges are interrupted halfway by dead goblins getting up and attacking the nearest thing (more goblins) and then you just pick through the survivors/undead survivors.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2009, 05:10:39 am »

Deformity... twisted dwarves with seven arms and seven axes! Rhesus macaques that can steal every item in your fort in one trip!

We are SO close to this, with the late spoilered stuff... Imagine building a fortress near Oszlu the Demon of Deformity and seeing every newborn with several 'differences'...
Well, I'm pretty sure equipment isn't compatible with an undefined number of arms / legs / etc, but except for that, it could be within reach.

waldo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2009, 03:30:21 pm »

idk deformations seem like it would lower the value of gameplay, i know that already having a massive river running through your map full of carp can make it almost impossible to play, but adding something that you can't even controll would be horrible...

maybe if you could combat that with like a temple, you could have a temple to worship the certain demon so that he'd instead of bothering you bother your enemies, or worship some other deity that's willing to protect you from this particular demon/beast/ thingy...

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2009, 03:35:03 pm »

Go to the religion thread (dunno where it is). I suggested a scheme of worshipping deities for imperceptible bonuses to your fort, or slight smiting of your foes.
Pages: 1 [2] 3