Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Modding Raws to make crystal glass reactions possible.  (Read 2992 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Modding Raws to make crystal glass reactions possible.
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2009, 03:42:22 am »

There are a couple of ways to figure out how to define something. One of the easiest ways is if you can embark with the thing then choose to embark and save the embark profile. The format that they use in the text file is almost exactly the same as the one used in reactions. The only difference is that embark profiles use NONE instead of NO_SUBTYPE. If you can't embark with it, then checking the forums and the wiki to see if anyone else knows how to define it is the second best bet, and most things that are possible are at least know by one modder. And if all of those fail then there is always good, old trial and error, which if you just go with what sounds right actually works rather well most times.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2009, 10:50:43 am »

Sounds good. I'm surprised there is not an index or other reference here or in the Wiki about modding reaction item strings.

Do you think such an entry in the wiki would be a good idea?

I can see arguments on either side:

1.) More knowledge = more freedom to mod, which Toady seems to have left open to us. It is, after all, a single player game, which cannot hurt anyone else by mere modding differences. Also, nobles demanding glass on sandless maps or other things that are very difficult/impossible to make leads to beatings, followed by magma/water drowned nobles. As fun and sporting as killing stupid insane demonsent useless  purple so you can target them better "wonderful" nobles is, that arguably isn't about "realism" either.

2.) Encouragement of players doing nothing but issuing commands at smelters once they figure out how to make plump helmets, seeds, and even dragon meat from thin air. Seems to defeat the purpose of the game's rich hard coded economics system.

*shrugs* Who am I to say which view is better or more correct?

The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2009, 11:13:54 am »

There actually are lists though. Go to modding from the wiki home page and look up item tokens and material tokens. There is also a reaction page, but it just tells you what format to put it in, not the actual tokens themselves.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2009, 11:33:01 am »

Well, there kind of are lists. Yes, but I personally find them confusing (with this game's steep learning curve as it is).

LOSNR actually linked me to those pages on the 1st page of this thread and I thank him for that again.

The format page is nice (if confusing), the token page is nice actually.

I suppose I was wondering why the actual tokens themselves weren't listed. It seems simpler to me. As it stands, I'm rather confused on things like when to use the "NO_SUBTYPE" portion of the tag. and other formatting issues. Currently, as you stated this may require some trial and error if you can't get the info from forums or embark profiles.

Some are on the individual section talk pages but not others currently.
I suppose I should have asked.

"Do you think it would be a good idea to simplify the current setup of reaction mod wiki entries via a table which explicitly lists the mod tokens ready to copy and paste into the raws themselves?"

It's really more of an information presentation/formatting issue then.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2009, 11:48:59 am »

Thank you so much for this. I can finally get the raw crystal glass. Don't think I can make anything out of it without pearlash but o well :)

How do you know what to put where when modding?

Most of the things I've tried end up producing generic items with a 0 value.
How do you define items better?

first of all the wiki can help a lot
second,most modders have some computer language knowledge
third,if you look at theirs,you will notice
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.
Pages: 1 [2]