Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: First quest ever - Kill a cyclops ...  (Read 3551 times)

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
Re: First quest ever - Kill a cyclops ...
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2009, 04:24:01 am »

Why do I only get semimegabeast quests? I want to kill someone, not something!
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

PencilinHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2009, 02:03:19 pm »

Ok, so I managed to kill that goblin recruit, along with about a third of the goblin civ population("T"ravel repeated to the spot and kill the guards that were some distance from the fort repeatedly, eventually found my guy). 

I was then ordered to kill a female dwarf ranger in the same goblin civ, which I managed to do by stealthily checking each of the towers without attracting the attention of the resident demon, got an *Iron Bolt* stuck in my left hand which I eventually figured how to get out. 

For my reward I was tasked with killing a dragon(Idrath Treasurewealthy the Parched Fire) on the other side of a vast mountain range, which I did along with two giant Eagles and a couple naked mole rats in the area(my ≡Copper Spear≡ and *((≡Iron Shield≡))* have served me very well).

What surprised me was I was then asked to Crymire the horse(wth?) on the other side of the world, which I easily accomplished after killing Efe' the minotaur and a family of Giant Rats that were residents in the cave.

I have just now been asked to kill a second dragon at the very southern edge of the world(I am in the north).  Also of note is I have killed five skeletal trolls in the cave this dragon is suppose to be in(having trouble finding the dragon which is normal for me). 

I think the quests are given out prioritized on distance from the quest giver.

EDIT: Kill #816(litterally)

You stab the Skeletal Dragon in the head with your ≡Copper Spear≡!
The head flies off in an arc!
Etog Ngobstuz, the Skeletal Dragon has been struck down.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 02:13:33 pm by PencilinHand »

taf_esra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2009, 04:24:27 pm »

I too have trouble finding some monsters. My first adventurer I spent an hour running around looking for a certain dragon that led a goblin civ (so many dead goblins). I never found him so I went into fortress mode and caved in all of the towers.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2009, 05:00:38 am »

Grrrr. I never get to kill a dragon. I've got quests from humans and elves all over the world but none of them have any problem with them. they all seem to have a major anti-minotaur grudge though...
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.

NikkTheTrick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2009, 08:51:17 pm »

Grrrr. I never get to kill a dragon. I've got quests from humans and elves all over the world but none of them have any problem with them. they all seem to have a major anti-minotaur grudge though...
But everyone knows that minotaurs are natural emenies of dragons. That can mean only one thing: humans and elves are in conspiracy with dragons! They want to drink all our beer and to shave our women!

You know what to do: gouge their eyes in their sleep and set them ablaze using burning kittens!
Dwarf Fortress- where nightmare fuel is recycled into business plan.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2009, 06:55:17 am »

Gouge their eyes while they sleep? I'm not suicidal. Wrestling while they sleep earns you a crossbow bolt to the guts three times out of four.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2009, 10:22:23 pm »

I never was really good at adventure mode. At this point I fight ambushes, get bored like in MMORPG's(rather quickly, may I add,) and totally forget adventure mode living as the ghost as my dwarve's castle and possesing them to brew beer while other idiots walk in on my territorty and make them make mugs. I mean, if your not the king/king/mayor/dutchey/expedition learder, what ARE you?
Hello Hunam

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2009, 09:08:06 am »

Ive played 5 adventurers

2 have died trying to commit goblin child genocide

2 have been killed on the a kill a giant quest

and one died in the wilderness

I managed to win my first kill a giant quest but havent suceeded since. Well i say i did it but really my meat sheild did it, after id been knocked down he stuck his spear in to its left lung.

Are there any quests besides go to place X and kill monster Y?

Can you join or interact with any factions?

Why are all the fortresses (dwarf and goblin) full of empty rooms with people doing nothing in them.

Does any thing change or develop in the game world besides your actions?

I quite like @ mode but it seems to lack a bit of depth. How do other people keep repetition out of their games and keep it interesting
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

PencilinHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2009, 02:12:52 pm »

To be honest de5me7, it helps to have a long attention span and to find enjoyment in the suffering of others to have an appreciation of the level of interaction available.

Exploring can be cool, killing your first xxxx usually a neat treat, but aiding in the downfall of a civilization eradication of the unworthy development of a civilization and being able to read about your own accomplishments is pretty cool. 

Plus, it is generally a different sort of challenge to that of fortress building or most other games I have played.

--------

Rowanas

If you want to kill a mega beast try reading up on the world generation settings.  The default settings tend to run the histories longer than mega beasts survive, so ending the world-gen earlyish along with some other tweaks will help.

--------

I never was really good at adventure mode. At this point I fight ambushes, get bored like in MMORPG's(rather quickly, may I add,) and totally forget adventure mode living as the ghost as my dwarve's castle and possesing them to brew beer while other idiots walk in on my territorty and make them make mugs. I mean, if your not the king/king/mayor/dutchey/expedition learder, what ARE you?

A complete bad $%^, that is what.  Ever been so uber as to wrestled a bronze colossus or giant to death solo?  The trick, aside from being really strong and tough, is to use take down and then break both the feet first.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 02:20:19 pm by PencilinHand »

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2009, 06:45:08 am »

nah. wrestling is for pussies. Shoot them until they're bleeding and then grab throat with steel crossbow and end them with a series of chokes.

Rhontos

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2009, 10:36:46 pm »

My method of killing these beasts is to find them then run outside and hide. While I am hiding I throw rocks as fast as I can until it falls unconscious or I blind it. Then you just have to grab its throat and stangle it. The first dwarf I did that with went on to lose one eye to a cougar, which only added to how badass he was.

Another tip, look for more evil regions for random encounters, zombie wolves and cougars are slower and much easier to beat unconscious.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2009, 12:15:04 am »

YOU'VE SLAIN THE VILE BEAST, YOU ARE TRULY A HERO, HERE IS YOUR REWARD

Pages: 1 [2]