Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: First quest ever - Kill a cyclops ...  (Read 3554 times)

Tanelorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
First quest ever - Kill a cyclops ...
« on: June 28, 2009, 05:20:50 pm »

I'm a seasoned fortress mode player, and I thought of trying the adventure mode just for a bit a fun, and get used to it a bit before the next release. I created my dwarf adventurer and went to a human town.

I visited the place a bit: a lot of the guards were missing limbs. Nice place I thought.  :-\

Then I talked to the leader (a legendary swordman) who gave my first quest ever - kill the cyclops who attacked the town and killed his daughter.

Right. The cyclops trashed the guards and the mayor wants me - a starting adventurer - to go kill him. In his lair...  ::)

Well, why not have a look at the lair at least. If my adventurer dies, I'll make a new one.

So I set off, getting lost and ambushed a fair bit on the way because I'm not used to adventurer mode until I eventually find the lair. I get in, I'm a bit tense I must say. I start to explore the place. At the end of the first corridor stand the cyclops. I brace myself and ... throw a stone at him (I've read many stories of dragons getting killed by thrown vomit, so I tried my luck, one never knows  ;D ).

Unfortunately, no such luck for me. I missed. The cyclops doesn't attack me though, so I throw another stone, which glances away. Still no reaction. Hmmm, odd. I keep throwing my stones, still no reaction.  By then, I was really puzzled - Is the adventure mode broken?

So I decided to (l)ook at the cyclops. He's got a few light gray limbs from the stones I sent. And a dark grey one. A previous wound from world gen. He's missing something. His ... one ... eye. It's a blind cyclops. What an anticlimax. I was expencting to get disemboweled by an angry mega beast, but he's blind and helpless. Of all the organs, he had to lose an eye. For a cyclops, it's a bit of a problem...

Anyway, it was an easy first quest. Seeing that he was blind (pun intented), I got close to him and started to hack him away with my axe. He was tough to kill, even though he didn't move. It was like felling a tree - no reaction at all. Except he was vomiting - I got him in the pancreas - and bleeding a lot (red throat). The blood loss from this wound killed him.

I still have to go back, triumphant,to the town where I got the quest :) I wonder what I'll get. It's the first quest I did. Don't spoil it for me - let me find out  ;D

Do you have other stories of hapless megabeasts like this one? Like a titan missing his hands or something?

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: First quest ever - Kill a cyclops ...
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 05:30:45 pm »

You're lucky. I've gone through over a dozen adventurers and I still haven't been able to complete a quest. It'd help if I could recruit meat shields but no one comes with me for some reason...

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 05:58:51 pm »

*wall of text*
I still have to go back, triumphant,to the town where I got the quest :) I wonder what I'll get. It's the first quest I did. Don't spoil it for me - let me find out  ;D
Spoiler: You get this (click to show/hide)
Isn't that an awesome prize?
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 06:07:39 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

Rashilul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 06:31:31 pm »

I started a play now character a while ago. The first quest he got was to kill a skeletal dragon. He killed it by bashing it to pieces with two limestone rocks. Turned out it was missing three of its legs. Best. Adventurer. Ever. (He was killed by some wolves on the way back)

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 07:08:09 pm »

Only quests I ever get are: "Go to this cave and beat this giant/cyclops!"

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 04:32:25 pm »

So many megabeasts are missing limbs from world gen.  Although I'd hasten to add that a health cyclops turned out to be more than a match for me and my meatshields.  I crawled away until I stopped bleeding, then abandoned my friends.  Guess what though?  During the confused and random fight, one of my meatshields had somehow managed to remove a leg, so the next fight was easy.

Rashilul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, 05:36:54 pm »

I don't see whats so hard about the quests. On average my starting guy can take out a semi-megabeast only receiving 1 yellow limb and a couple brown ones in damage.

Sabre_Justice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2009, 07:16:35 am »

I didn't even get a look at that giant before she one-shotted me. Must have been healthy.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2009, 05:05:44 pm »

Only a few semi megabeasts manage to ever properly damage me. I shoot them, shoot again, and again. By that time, they're on me, so I grab them by the throat with my steel crossbow and choke until the last gasp escapes their throat. rinse, repeat. also works on sleeping guards and mayors.

Disclaimer: Only works if you min/maxed 15 marksdwarfery
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2009, 04:45:05 am »

Only a few semi megabeasts manage to ever properly damage me. I shoot them, shoot again, and again. By that time, they're on me, so I grab them by the throat with my steel crossbow and choke until the last gasp escapes their throat. rinse, repeat. also works on sleeping guards and mayors.

Disclaimer: Only works if you min/maxed 15 marksdwarfery
I tried 15 marksdwarfery, but the problem is that you tend to get killed by wolves before you reach the semimegabeast.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2009, 06:30:43 am »

well,pack animals can kill you early on, but I ubered up my wrestling by choking the mayors and sleeping inhabitants of human settlements until I could dodge the blows of packs of wolves. it's so awesome striding into a village, picking a fight and then dodging/blocking/parrying every thing, sending your would-be attackers flying due to just counterstrikes. I imagine my dwarf fights like a ballet, striking and counterstriking about 10 times in an average round :D
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

NikkTheTrick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2009, 08:13:45 pm »

I'd bet on "having your throat slashed out by a random wolf on your way back". ;D
Dwarf Fortress- where nightmare fuel is recycled into business plan.

Mr Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2009, 09:51:08 am »

Oh hey, I just got a similar quest.
To kill a Cyclops... only that this was an unwounded Cyclops that punched my lower body so hard it exploded into gore.
But not after I bruised its kidney!
And well... got my arm broken off.
And blocked about 20 or so attacks.

PencilinHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2009, 01:37:38 am »

I just started playing adventurer.

Took me about 6 dead adventurers before I figured out how to fight, get food/water and use the 'T' screen.  A further 4 to get a weapon, suit of armor, legendary wrestler +6, and adept armor/weapon skill.

I just got my first quest to go and kill some goblin recruit...in a tower...where 60 of his goblin/dwarf friends lives...with a demon...and I don't know which of the three towers he is in on site....
Pages: [1] 2