Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Playing with the economy  (Read 2876 times)

Teppik

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Playing with the economy
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2009, 12:05:37 pm »

Economy fails when you get most of your population to be like this

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2009, 12:09:06 pm »

So, does it matter whether it's legendary in work skills or does legendary in anything count?

Anyways, that kid must do a hell of alot of partying or something.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2009, 12:18:51 pm »

the economy doesn't help the framerate

How does the economy affect the frame rate?
Coin hauling, for one, can clog things up, and possibly the tracking of each dwarf's individual accounts as well. For those of us with slower comps or laptops, it makes a difference.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2009, 01:31:59 pm »

Coin hauling, for one, can clog things up, and possibly the tracking of each dwarf's individual accounts as well. For those of us with slower comps or laptops, it makes a difference.
So don't make any coins, they don't add anything.  Not sure about the accounts though, wouldn't've thought it made much difference after all the other things stored about your dwarves.

snuflufagus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2009, 02:32:27 pm »

After building a European flavored city with winding streets, multistoried apartments, first floor workshops, and a central citadel, the economy really finishes it off by adding filthy, ragged bums sleeping in the gutters and rotting garbage cluttering the alleys.  They go really well with the packs of street urchins, stray stewing meat dogs, crippled veterans, and the occasional gibbering exhibitionist.

Lehmusjoki

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2009, 02:42:40 pm »

After building a European flavored city with winding streets, multistoried apartments, first floor workshops, and a central citadel, the economy really finishes it off by adding filthy, ragged bums sleeping in the gutters and rotting garbage cluttering the alleys.  They go really well with the packs of street urchins, stray stewing meat dogs, crippled veterans, and the occasional gibbering exhibitionist.
HOLY SHIT!
YOU JUST INSPIRED ME TO TRY AND ACTUALLY PLAY THIS GAME!
(sorry for the caps)

Efun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2009, 05:03:14 pm »

HOLY SHIT!
(sorry for the caps)

If its your first time.... Have fun with the eye bleed if you play to long, or you find Microcline...
Military dorfs are the busiest if their partner is also in the military, Military children are my forts future, also its hilariously tragic when a mother carrying her child into battle gets hit, and the baby dies....
I fixed that up for you.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2009, 05:05:41 pm »

So don't make any coins, they don't add anything.  Not sure about the accounts though, wouldn't've thought it made much difference after all the other things stored about your dwarves.
I haven't made coins but on my new laptop the game is playable at the number of dwarves it takes to start the economy but not playable after the economy has started.
Though to some people 10fps is still tolerable.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

a.random.persona

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2009, 11:29:05 pm »

Though to some people 10fps is still tolerable.
I played at 10fps when I first started, and it was playable because I didn't know any better. Then I discovered df_28_181_40d11 and had my fps grow to 100. Cant go back now.

And I have no economy on because it halves my framerate.
It has to do much more calculations per "turn" and so slows down.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2009, 02:24:29 am »

I love the economy in theory, but it's totally broken right now so I leave it off.

It's broken in what way?

Legendaries produce MUCH higher goods MUCH faster then any other dwarf, meaning you only need one or two per labor type. Furthermore, they don't require money for anything (and in fact don't even get payed IIRC). This means there are no jobs for the common dwarf except hauling, which pays almost nothing.

Combined with coin stacks being broken up into 1-large stacks eventually, meaning your fortress gets cluttered with thousands of extra items eventually if you build them, however they are 100% not needed and dwarves will happily work for credit (and thus, work for nothing but food/drink).

Combined with shops taking things from the fort without paying, meaning they take your trade goods - not really a big deal considering the ease in producing trade goods and the dwarven credit issue, but still annoying.

So the net effect of the economy with rent on is all your dwarves get kicked out of their rooms unless you create pointless busywork for them and with rent off your trade goods end up scattered all over dwarves' rooms pointlessly.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2009, 02:42:43 am »

It's not the best thing for your fortress that's right! But it's unbelievably awesome! All the prices and chaos and people stacking junk in their cheap-ass rooms. I love it!
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

Lehmusjoki

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2009, 11:12:58 am »

HOLY SHIT!
(sorry for the caps)

If its your first time.... Have fun with the eye bleed if you play to long, or you find Microcline...

Absolutely not the first time.

I hate it when microcline pops up in the middle of nowhere when you're digging out a beautiful dining room.

sev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • my blog
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2009, 05:34:57 pm »

It's not the best thing for your fortress that's right! But it's unbelievably awesome! All the prices and chaos and people stacking junk in their cheap-ass rooms. I love it!

I love the chaos, too.  It's a total disaster for a well-run fort...but by the time the economy kicks in, I'm generally in danger of getting bored.  I don't have the attention to detail required to really enjoy a megaproject, for the most part, so I'm glad there's another challenge available, even if it is ridiculous and arbitrary.

Now that my current fort is ten years old the economy barely touches it -- because everyone is legendary.  My goal was to have a maximum of 1 of any type of workshop, which meant that there were only a handful of dwarves working at any given time.  So now I've got a fort with population 270, 152 of them children, and all the adults and half the children are Legendary socializers.  I was not expecting this result, but I'm amused.
Pages: 1 [2]