Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Hanging/Gallows  (Read 9035 times)

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hanging/Gallows
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2009, 04:40:46 pm »

One thing I'd like to see is just an "Execution" justice applied.

Force the player to execute them however the player wants.

Be that dropping, drowning, magmaing, spike traps, dragon cage in the bed room, whatever interesting ways the player can come up with!

Failure to kill your dwarf will either let the Hammerer do it, or someone of some sort gets unhappy thoughts?
Oh snap, I was going to suggest this!

Anyway, I'd do it with mandate.

Urist McSheriff has mandated death of Libash McCriminal.

And then it's up to the player to find a way to kill Libash. If they fail, the Sheriff kills Libash personally, plus an additional dwarf gets sentenced for failing a mandate.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Lymojo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:SMARM][PREFSTRING:pendulous balls]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2009, 06:43:43 pm »

NOt the same idea. I'm thinking thin adamantine spike going up the anus like so:
Warning: graphic

Wow. Uh, how do I unsubscribe from this thread?

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2009, 06:57:40 pm »

Ah, that's referring to standard practice of Vlad the Impaler. AKA real life Dracula. That's for gobbos, not dwarves.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Petra

• Bay Watcher
  • Vortex of Doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2009, 03:27:40 pm »

Wow. Uh, how do I unsubscribe from this thread?

rofl

Ah, that's referring to standard practice of Vlad the Impaler. AKA real life Dracula. That's for gobbos, not dwarves.

If dwarves feel fit to impale enemies using ingenious spike traps, then why wouldn't they feel fit to torture a criminal with spikes?

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 17, 2009, 03:51:18 pm »

"thin adamantium spike" = thick wooden stake. Adamantium's too expensive, and too sharp, thus your prisoners die too quickly and painlessly.
For they would be your masters.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 17, 2009, 04:06:17 pm »

If dwarves feel fit to impale enemies using ingenious spike traps, then why wouldn't they feel fit to torture a criminal with spikes?
Maybe the [ETHICS:TORTURE_AS_EXAMPLE:UNTHINKABLE] tag in their raws? That makes it pretty clear that Toady, at this point, does NOT intend for dwarves to torture their criminals.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

uttaku

• Bay Watcher
  • The living will envy the dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2009, 07:17:49 am »

I vote for the slow death.

Your half cut off a persons arms and legs and then bind the wounds. The person is then placed outside untill they are eaten by lions(this was an old african method)

Sabre_Justice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2009, 09:41:04 am »

How about a guillotine?

Or if that's not dwarfy enough, I have an idea for a Dwarven guillotine, where the blade is replaced with a very large hammer.

Lymojo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:SMARM][PREFSTRING:pendulous balls]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2009, 11:21:47 am »

Is this sort of reasoning the byproduct of the Bush years?

DI7789

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 18, 2009, 02:48:16 pm »

Since this seems to have gone from just a "Gallows" discussion to a "Torture and Execution" one...

I agree that players should be able to choose a method of execution/torture for their criminals. Although the Hammerer is a nice and classic method, it would be nice to have the variety the gobbos/elves in worldgen seem to have (I've seen hundreds of methods of death. Impalement, hanged, thrown to beasts, burned alive, even crucifixion). The first thing that came to my mind was the possibility to take the idea into the realm of "political intrigue" if ever you have a dwarf that wants to usurp the King for whatever reason (e.g. for mandating glass windows on a sandless map then punishing said dwarf's best friend) then that dwarf could use a network of friends to kidnap and torture the King in to abdicating, or for the King to find out about the plot and order the usurper murdered via hanging or some such method.
Gone on hiatus due to RL. Major apologies to all involved in LP thread.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]