Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Hanging/Gallows  (Read 9036 times)

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
Re: Hanging/Gallows
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2009, 07:11:44 pm »

Yeah, extra methods aren't really necessary, but they would be nice to have, atleast in mods.
For they would be your masters.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2009, 07:22:44 pm »

Sunken--You're right, and because of that I'm sure we're all very glad the game's not based on Tolkien.  8)

It's very much based on Tolkien -- Toady used to describe it as a Moria simulator and went so far as to research whether calling adamantine "mithril" would be a copyright violation.  That said, yeah, it's diverged considerably.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2009, 07:26:25 pm »

Sunken--You're right, and because of that I'm sure we're all very glad the game's not based on Tolkien anymore8)

Footkerfixed.

Mithril, by the way, was never trademarked by Tolkien's estate, so it's free.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 07:30:08 pm by SirHoneyBadger »

yarm102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2009, 07:26:44 pm »

gibbets would be nice. especially if you could place captives in them to slowly die and rot away.

either that or headspikes, a-la london bridge. a curtain wall lined with the rotting heads of previous siegers would be terrifying, especially to bands of ambushers.

Lymojo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:SMARM][PREFSTRING:pendulous balls]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2009, 08:23:22 pm »

Yea, I always wonder that. Why isn't adamantine called mithril? It seems to have the exact same properties and lore as Mithril did in LOTR. Meanwhile, the only context I've heard adamantine show up in is X-Men, which is totally out of sorts with DF.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2009, 10:23:16 pm »

X-men is "adamantium".

Adamant simply means "indestructible"--from the Greek adamas, "untameable".

In the middle ages, it was used to refer to diamond, so it can be used to mean "diamondlike".

Mithril is actually a lot less venerable of a term than adamant, since the term "mithril" was only just invented last century, and so I suspect that's why "adamantite" ultimately won it's place in the game.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2009, 11:12:19 pm »

Mithril is Sindarin (LOTR Elvish (Ancient)) which means "Grey-glimmer" and appeared first in lotr around 1937-1947 but since the book was released 1954 you can say the word is roughly 65 years old. Sindarin as language could be trademarked.

Anyway what about devored by dogs? Quatered by horses? Braided to the wheel (after hammering the joints) like in the middleages?

Cutting hands of for stealing, neutering for rape and other penaltys would aslo be interresting.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2009, 06:13:49 pm »

Left out tied to a stake for when the next siege rolls through. Gets one dwarf out of the way, lets the others get back to work. Thus, dwarven.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2009, 06:23:36 pm »

Final Fantasy has mythril (or it least crystal chronicles does), just as a fun fact.

On the original topic, I really see alternate methods of execution being for entity diversity for the most part, and don't see dwarves changing too much.  They do live in caves, where making a set up for a hanging would be a bit more difficult (in realistic terms, maybe current DF terms).
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2009, 06:31:30 pm »

How about being able to dig a small pit and placing a dwarf in there than slowly placing rocks on top of said dwarf untill it either suffocates or is crushed by the weight.

Isn't that what they used for Witch Trials?

Yes it was used.

As for the whole executions, they should all be quick and swift, except for goblins of course but than again they have Murder as a personal matter so that's out of the window for now.

How about this? If magma be present than a exucation chamber would be a small 5X5 room with a steel post, and when a dwarf is executed in a fort like this than he or she shall be tied to the post and magma dumped or flooded into the chamber.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2009, 06:43:39 pm »

Their hands and beard will be cut off, and they'll be walled in a dead end with an empty barrel and a broken pick.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Petra

• Bay Watcher
  • Vortex of Doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2009, 07:38:14 pm »

How about execution chamber with spike in the middle. Hapless dwarf has eyes gouged out and is impaled anus first on the spike and left to slide down because their own weight?

Lymojo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:SMARM][PREFSTRING:pendulous balls]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2009, 08:41:02 pm »

Dude.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2009, 08:44:32 pm »

Rule 34
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2009, 10:14:30 pm »

Nope that was the method of "Flad - the Impaler - Tepesh" which later got for this and other stuff the name "Dracula". Elisabeth Barthory a Hungarian duches bathed in the blood of virgins and tortured people in spiked cages with red-hot branding irons.

So i say the kind of torture could be set by the noble depending on his quirks. A rather forgiving Noble would give days in prison, a sadistic tortures and one that "dont cares anymore" would just let the hammerer slaughter the victim.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4