Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A Graphics set in the making!  (Read 1472 times)

johnnybeltz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A Graphics set in the making!
« on: May 18, 2009, 10:36:48 am »

I have always liked two graphics sets, and for totally different reasons. I liked Sphr's set, because it is beautiful, and is very in-depth, and I like Mayday's set, because it is comprehensive and easy to follow.

Meshing those two together to make something that is all of these things is proving difficult, because I have a difficult quota to reach, and I do not have any previous spriting experience.

johnnybeltz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Graphics set in the making!
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 11:08:36 am »

This is the standard dorf from which all others will follow:
http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/8446/dorforig.png

I have been busy throughout the week in creating the job sprites, and have made it a point to keep it very legible and descriptive all at once:
http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/9299/dorfslarge.png

By all means, it is not finished. I still need to do military and nobles, and that is just for the dwarves. I also need to redo the thief in the first row.

Feedback would be welcome!

Edit: For convenience, I will place a link here of the latest dorf bmp:
http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/7219/dorfs.png

« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 11:33:02 am by johnnybeltz »

Faenaris

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 11:50:44 am »

I totally aprove of this set! It looks informative and clear, while retaining that "fuzzy" feeling. Do continue!

Teferi

• Bay Watcher
  • Planeswalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 12:16:38 pm »

I like. once you get done with the dorfs I would like to try them out.
I think it'd be better to just throw him in a pit.
By pit I mean "ledge designated as pit some 30 levels above the ground water magma" and that would,as they say be the end of that.
Unless a sword/axedwarf gets to 'em.. then it's rhesus pieces...

johnnybeltz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 12:46:43 pm »

My idea was that you would be able to tell upon first glance what someone was, and at the same time notice the subtle details like Sphr's set provides. Would shading the dorfs further introduce difficulty in discerning them apart? How about darker beards?

« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 12:49:32 pm by johnnybeltz »

MMad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 03:35:25 pm »

Rushed reply: I really like your style. :) Not all of the professions are super-easy to spot unless you know what to look for, and a couple are maybe too similar, but overall it's pretty awesome. :) Will try to remember to give more specific feedback at a later point.
"Ask not what your fortress can do for you - ask what you can do for your fortress."
Unapologetic ASCII abolitionist.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 05:51:05 pm »

I like it. It's pretty easy to tell what's going on. I would say the craftdwarf is not blue enough and the farmer is too yellow, if you're going for immediately-recognizable. Great style though.

johnnybeltz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 07:29:02 am »

Mmad, could you tell me which job sprites are not so obvious next time you post and aren't in a rush? I can easily scrap them and create more.  :)

I'll also get to work on the farmers' colors and the blue in the craftsdwarves.

My next group will be the nobles and admins, suggestions? White beards are a given, but I don't want to steal Sphr's thunder on this one, so no-go with the open scrolls. I was thinking staves for each of them (Encrusted with a jewel on the head, a different color for every noble for flavor). In the other hand they might hold an item that clarifies their jobs. (Small book for bookkeeper, etc.)

Hopefully within the next couple of posts, I will have improved the set with the above recommendations. I will let you all know. Keep the comments coming!  8)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 11:36:48 am by johnnybeltz »

johnnybeltz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 10:50:00 am »

I've done a little improvement on the blue color of the jewelers (not the craftsdwarves, those are white), and I have discarded the thief in favor of a better design. Also, I have scrapped the bookkeeper and have placed a better one in his place, in the design of a noble, complete with white beard, staff, book, and stole.

Here is the bookkeeper:
http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/2947/bookkeeper.png
This is my improved set, with tweaks, in scale:
http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/7219/dorfs.png

The other nobles might use this framework, but I will wait to here of any ideas before continuing with them.

About the farmers, I have no idea about what color they should be that is earthy and not what it is already. I'll be waiting for suggestions.

Thanks for the support!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 12:05:27 pm by johnnybeltz »

johnnybeltz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2009, 11:14:01 am »

I might actually include scrolls in some of the noble sprites after all. I was thinking just a select few, like the Administrator.
I am positive on how I want to make my clerk; I will attempt to give him an abacus that actually looks like an abacus. And, as a side thought, I've decided purple should not be the universal robe color for all of the nobles. With experimentation I found some horrid combinations, like a yellow stole and gem over the purple robe. On top of that, I am still unsure on if I want to shade the sprites further.

A triple post, huh? Sometimes I feel like I talk to myself...  ;)

Faenaris

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2009, 03:54:53 am »

Us lurkers are just watching and lurking, ready to pounce, sir johnnybeltz! ;)

johnnybeltz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2009, 09:56:31 am »

I completely understand. I will go ahead and plow through this sprite sheet, nobles and all. My next update will probably include two; one with extra shading, and one without. Expect to here from me!

Edit: I also forgot to mention that I will include the dorf object file . It will not be difficult to create, mostly because it is just an adaptation of Sphr's. Another noticeable difference for the next update will be gray outlines rather than black (a suggestion made by Beefmo).

Edit (again..): I've just realized that the bookkeeper and the clerk are the same thing. Should have been obvious... Forget about the abacus.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 10:51:33 am by johnnybeltz »

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2009, 04:32:48 pm »

Edit (again..): I've just realized that the bookkeeper and the clerk are the same thing. Should have been obvious... Forget about the abacus.
no abacus, calculator, or better yet massive dwarven logic device

Faenaris

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2009, 09:37:30 am »

I completely understand. I will go ahead and plow through this sprite sheet, nobles and all. My next update will probably include two; one with extra shading, and one without. Expect to here from me!

Edit: I also forgot to mention that I will include the dorf object file . It will not be difficult to create, mostly because it is just an adaptation of Sphr's. Another noticeable difference for the next update will be gray outlines rather than black (a suggestion made by Beefmo).

Not intended as a "Get on with it!" post. Just to clarify. :)

yuhhaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2009, 11:02:03 pm »

what about a big, animal skin scroll and a red color book to differentiate them?