Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do you get a floodgate to *close* when a pressure plate is triggered?  (Read 1112 times)

HexagonalBolts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I can only work out how to make my floodgates open when triggered?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile

Single tile raised drawbridges act exactly like floodgates except that they work oppositely when attached to triggers, i.e., a trigger is activated, the drawbridge raises.

However, through the use of convoluted fluid logic, you can have a pressure plate close a floodgate. Unfortunately, I don't have a model handy, but it involves opening a different floodgate in a secluded area of your fortress that releases water that will deactivate a different pressure plate that is set to be activated for less than 7/7 water.

As you can see, the raised drawbridge is simpler solution.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Lesconrads

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Look into the wiki for information about mechanical or water-logic... the discussion-pages are useful as well.
It will only work if you get a signal-inverter involved.
Like said above, this mostly involves pressure plates and water. I also like pumps involved.

Decidophobia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There's a simple method on the wiki page on pressure plates (under the heading "Closing a floodgate when submerged"). In short, open the gate (with a lever) *before* you connect it to the pressure plate. Then triggering the plate will close it.

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile

There's a simple method on the wiki page on pressure plates (under the heading "Closing a floodgate when submerged"). In short, open the gate (with a lever) *before* you connect it to the pressure plate. Then triggering the plate will close it.

while the method described on the wiki does work, the way you phrase it is misleading: the reason that setup works is not because you opened the gate with a lever first (that's just to let the water in), it's because the pressure plate is set to DE-activate when it gets covered with water.

something every DF player would do well to learn early on is that levers and plates do not "toggle". they send distinct ON and OFF messages, and each thing you can hook up to a pressure plate responds only one way to each message. a floodgate or door will only open when sent an ON message. if it receives two ON's in a row, it will not open and then close. it will just open and then stay open.

the levers page of the wiki lists each device and how it responds to each message: http://dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Lever

there are, however, numerous ways to get around this. one example already stated is using raising bridges, which 'close' when sent on ON message. you can also reverse the settings on your pressure plate if it's being used with water or magma (if you want your door to close when the plate has 5+ water on it, set the plate to activate on 0-4. this way the plate will be 'active' all the time, and send an OFF message once the desired amount of liquid (5 or more) 'deactivates' it.

Decidophobia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

while the method described on the wiki does work, the way you phrase it is misleading: the reason that setup works is not because you opened the gate with a lever first (that's just to let the water in), it's because the pressure plate is set to DE-activate when it gets covered with water.
Sorry about that. I'm just figuring pressure plates out myself, so I'm happy as long as following instructions keeps me from drowning the populace. :)