Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Hair/fur/wool  (Read 2262 times)

Felix the Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hair/fur/wool
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2007, 07:48:00 pm »

I always thought that the "combat beard defense system" of choice would be a veil of chain mail. This also protects the throat. I'd imagine that it would be worn with a helm/cap instead of a full facial helmet.

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2007, 09:05:00 pm »

Well that kind of armour is called a "coif" and or "aventail".

A coif covers your head and has a wide tube portion that hangs down over your neck and shoulders. If you wore one presumably your beard would simply hang down the outside right? So then you could add another layer on top to keep the beard covered.

The aventail is the same thing only no hood, just the neck portion.

If you wanted to go all out, the segmented plate beard protector would be interesting to see   :D, the obvious problem with it is that it weighs a lot. All of that weight has to hang off somewhere, just glueing metal plates to your beard can only end in tears. (because of course you would have to cut it off and you have no one to blame but yourself  :p)

[ September 03, 2007: Message edited by: Tamren ]

Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Felix the Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2007, 11:02:00 pm »

But what's a veil called? Something that hangs off the "sideburns" of a helm to guard your lower face/neck.

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2007, 11:23:00 pm »

That small? I cant think of anything else to call it, veil it is.
Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2007, 10:14:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Necro:
<STRONG>Would make an interesting alternative to hammerings. But is a bloodfeud in your fortress really something you would want? Would look awesome, though.

Kol Talinlikot cancelles make bed, avenging brother</STRONG>

Oh, it's not a blood feud. It's just a duel, and then it's over with.

I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2007, 03:56:00 pm »

How's about having dwarven beard hair weavable? The most highly prized of all materials save adamantine! The beards of shaven criminals are not fit for masterful constructions, no, custom demands that a craftsdwarf trim his own beard (to a length not to be shorter than a foot!!) for the prized threads.

And particularly aggravating nobles could demand clothes made of full fur, instead of just leather. A full +fluffy wambler trenchcoat+ might require a couple dozen of them.

This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Stij

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2007, 05:55:00 pm »

This is one of the best ideas I've heard.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2007, 12:25:00 am »

Cuttable and weavable hair, as well as furs, are IMO absolutely necessary for cold /freezing biomes. Leather and cloth mittens make little sense. Mittens made of fluffy wambler fur make much more.

In fact, the various vermin types should certainly be "farmable" in the sense that the player lets them multiply off of his food stores only for their furs, which are then applied to the leather obtained from larger creatures. A +cow leather coat+ lined with *fluffy wambler fur* or *pig tail thread* (or both) would certainly be nice.
More so if you could dye the fur colors, too!
I insist, my military dwarves must have their technicolor dream-coat.

[... Clothing for animals would also be appreciated, for the maps where you can't heat the floor of your fortress with magma tunnels.]

quote:
Originally posted by Mayday:
Rewalling with bones is possibly the most amazing idea ever.
It'd also make your bottomless pit of death stop being so bottomless at one point.

[ November 29, 2007: Message edited by: Mechanoid ]

Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

MindSnap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2007, 09:18:00 pm »

I really like this idea, but I don't think that it is of immediate importance. It would be wicked awesome cool though.

WillNZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2007, 03:08:00 pm »

Hate to break up the party, but hair and beards are already in the bloats, including beard shavings as a punishment.
Pages: 1 [2]